Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DIY Adam’s Ceramic Coated

Attachments

• 68B0650E-1774-446B-AD45-8FE4C13BB282.jpeg
    68B0650E-1774-446B-AD45-8FE4C13BB282.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 3756B3D2-2CDB-43B7-9A19-ED8CFFBDE46D.jpeg
    3756B3D2-2CDB-43B7-9A19-ED8CFFBDE46D.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 217
I don’t fully understand the PPF craze. I want my car protected but there are people getting rich with what they charge putting this stuff on.
I sell high end appliances and one of my customers who’s company does window tint, PPF and wraps has 8 locations and now lives in a 5 million dollar home.
How does it make sense that some people pay more for PPF than it costs to paint an entire car and I mean a high quality multi coat pain job.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I don’t fully understand the PPF craze. I want my car protected but there are people getting rich with what they charge putting this stuff on.
I sell high end appliances and one of my customers who’s company does window tint, PPF and wraps has 8 locations and now lives in a 5 million dollar home.
How does it make sense that some people pay more for PPF than it costs to paint an entire car and I mean a high quality multi coat pain job.

A hight quality paint job is still going to be more than PPF and you still don’t have protection from things like rock chips so you could end up repainting. The new S is a magnet for chips and debris due to the wider tires. Tesla’s factory paint is also known for being thin due to CA environmental laws. Margins in the PPF business are absolutely huge which begs the question of why Tesla doesn’t come out with a factory PPF option…

Not that expensive if you’re just covering the impact areas, which is definitely needed unless you don’t mind those areas being peppered with paint chips. I didn’t ppf my former P100D and those areas looked TERRIBLE after 3 years of ownership. As a car nut and car detail nut, it pained me every time I washed the car 😱

I never believed in the ceramic & ppf stuff...until I did it! I always just had it waxed like 4x / year and thought my cars always looked as best as they possible could. I was wrong. My first time doing the ceramic coating & ppf was with my Tesla MS Plaid actually. I ceramic coated (Ceramic Pro 5 year) the entire car and did Xpel clear ppf on the front only (hood, front bumper, lip spoiler, front 2 quarter panels and side mirrors) + front headlights and rear tail lights are smoked ppf (and I had the detailer do the window tint & a few extra little things). I spent ~ $5k for it all.

I took delivery of my car at the end of Oct, 2021 and it now has ~ 6,500 mi. on it...it's utterly astounding how the rain continues to bead up and all the bugs, bird droppings, and dirt literally just don't stick to the ppf up front. 😲 In fact, when I'm washing my car, I always have to be careful not to stand too close to the front hood since the water simply doesn't stay on the hood...it beads up and runs down the hood so fast, I always seem to get wet! 😜 Because my car is white, I didn't feel the need to ppf the entire car but I suppose for other paint colors, I could see where that would be very beneficial and worth the extra expense. Now, we'll see how it all holds up after 2-3 years or so, but so far, I'm absolutely amazed and very happy with my decision to do the ceramic coating all over & the ppf in the front! Oh yeah, and btw -- no rock chips on the front either and I do a lot of highway driving...looks as good as new! :cool: Pics of my car below just after getting detailed with the ceramic & ppf.
sflgator MS Plaid pic3.jpg
sflgator MS Plaid rear pic.jpg
Sflgator MS Plaid.jpg
sflgator Tesla MS Plaid pic1.jpg
sflgator Tesla MS Plaid.jpg
sflgator MS Plaid emblem pic1.jpg
sflgator MS Plaid 11-24-21.jpg

Last edited:
My rear "PLAID" was painted black and the Tesla front & rear T symbols were matte black wrapped. See pics in my previous post ^^^^
And if you want the Matte effect...
...but hard to keep my car perty up in snow country...

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    705.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    951.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    702.7 KB · Views: 130
I just took delivery of my new Black S LR and drove straight to the PPF shop.
High priced mission to get a specific look.
Even though its already black, Im putting colored PPF on top of it:

STEK DYNOblack-matte everywhere w/
And Gloss Black PPF for: Tesla badges, side view mirrors, rear bottom diffuser
Windshield PPF
Tint - 20% tint all around; 55 windshield
Ceramic Pro on all

The stealth blacks I've seen are to light for my taste. This is the achieved look (on a taycan)...
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.21.21 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 5.38.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 5.38.55 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.21.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.21.28 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 190
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and impastu
I just took delivery of my new Black S LR and drove straight to the PPF shop.
High priced mission to get a specific look.
Even though its already black, Im putting colored PPF on top of it:

STEK DYNOblack-matte everywhere w/
And Gloss Black PPF for: Tesla badges, side view mirrors, rear bottom diffuser
Windshield PPF
Tint - 20% tint all around; 55 windshield
Ceramic Pro on all

The stealth blacks I've seen are to light for my taste. This is the achieved look (on a taycan)...View attachment 769573
Got the same thing on mine 😉
BTW—the Stek film has a built in hydrophobic coating that works really well so a ceramic coating isn’t needed

Attachments

• 33B2CEF8-4149-49FD-9D85-60C2CABA4E1A.jpeg
    33B2CEF8-4149-49FD-9D85-60C2CABA4E1A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Got the same thing on mine 😉
BTW—the Stek film has a built in hydrophobic coating that works really well so a ceramic coating isn’t needed
Any chance we could get a side view of your car? I am getting windows tinted on Friday and was planning to go with 5% rear/rear windows, 20% front windows and 70 windshield but trying to decide if it would look strange having 2 different versions of tint on the back versus front windows. The idea was to also throw off the LEO by giving the feeling that the front windows are clearly lighter….

Reactions: impastu