Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car looks awesome. That is a good price and with ceramic coating too. To wrap under door trim, camera bump and other places... and especially a single piece bumper, should cost more. It takes a lot more effort to do these. But that last 5 percent in looks cost a lot in effort and $$. I was going to do SunTek Reaction but do it myself. I have since changed my mind to Xpel. Not because it's better but because the supplier of the cut pieces is very helpful. He is Cris Renoson in Canada. I've never installed PPF and he answered all my questions. SunTek Reaction was my first choice because of gloss and ceramic infused top.
Good luck with your DIY application. I thought about doing it, but I don't have a garage that I can keep dust free or have the patience.

Reactions: impastu
Good luck with your DIY application. I thought about doing it, but I don't have a garage that I can keep dust free or have the patience.
Yeah, dust is the enemy here. Before getting my car a couple of weeks ago I leaf blowered my garage out every day. My neighbors must think I'm crazy. I even cleaned the garage door, blew out overhead storage and dust mop the floor every day ... then shut the door. When PPF is done it goes back to being normal dusty garage.

Just a quick video of the built in water repellant on the Suntek Reaction / Llumar Valor films. Price difference was $1k between the premium and valor for Llumar at my installer so honestly about the same price as getting ceramic by itself.

Reactions: WiLz
I never believed in the ceramic & ppf stuff...until I did it! I always just had it waxed like 4x / year and thought my cars always looked as best as they possible could. I was wrong. My first time doing the ceramic coating & ppf was with my Tesla MS Plaid actually. I ceramic coated (Ceramic Pro 5 year) the entire car and did Xpel clear ppf on the front only (hood, front bumper, lip spoiler, front 2 quarter panels and side mirrors) + front headlights and rear tail lights are smoked ppf (and I had the detailer do the window tint & a few extra little things). I spent ~ $5k for it all.

I took delivery of my car at the end of Oct, 2021 and it now has ~ 6,500 mi. on it...it's utterly astounding how the rain continues to bead up and all the bugs, bird droppings, and dirt literally just don't stick to the ppf up front. 😲 In fact, when I'm washing my car, I always have to be careful not to stand too close to the front hood since the water simply doesn't stay on the hood...it beads up and runs down the hood so fast, I always seem to get wet! 😜 Because my car is white, I didn't feel the need to ppf the entire car but I suppose for other paint colors, I could see where that would be very beneficial and worth the extra expense. Now, we'll see how it all holds up after 2-3 years or so, but so far, I'm absolutely amazed and very happy with my decision to do the ceramic coating all over & the ppf in the front! Oh yeah, and btw -- no rock chips on the front either and I do a lot of highway driving...looks as good as new! :cool: Pics of my car below just after getting detailed with the ceramic & ppf. View attachment 768531
Lookin really good! This is off topic but what did you use for your garage floor to look like that? Looks very nice.

Reactions: sflgator
Lookin really good! This is off topic but what did you use for your garage floor to look like that? Looks very nice.
TrueLock HD Ribbed (basically the same as RaceDeck but less $$)...DIY job...took all day to remove everything from the garage floor, lay down & connect all the tiles (super easy though), and cut some tiles (most difficult part) in some areas to make it fit better. But worth it since I likely saved about $2k+ on labor alone that the professional garage flooring companies charge. It really was fairly easily...just time consuming and I was exhausted at the end! o_O

TrueLock HD Ribbed (basically the same as RaceDeck but less $$)...DIY job...took all day to remove everything from the garage floor, lay down & connect all the tiles (super easy though), and cut some tiles (most difficult part) in some areas to make it fit better. But worth it since I likely saved about $2k+ on labor alone that the professional garage flooring companies charge. It really was fairly easily...just time consuming and I was exhausted at the end! o_O

Thanks man. Totally worth the look. I'm gonna try it myself as well.

Reactions: sflgator

Ribbed for his pleasure. Thanks for this info, was looking to do something to my garage floor!

• Funny
Reactions: sflgator and Bull
Thanks everyone for the discussion and the wonderful photos.
I got my S delivered yesterday and am looking to get it tinted and PPFed soon.
Here's a quote I received from a bay area shop. Can someone tell me if this looks reasonable?

Vortex IR / Llumar IRX - all sides and rear windshield $675
Vortex IR / Llumar IRX - Front Windshield $350

Full front coverage (full bumper, full hood and full fenders, mirrors and headlights) - XPEL wrap $2475

Silver Plus Package- $1245 + optional paint correction
Extreme Permanent Gloss
2 layer of 9h Glass Shield
1 layer of Light gloss paint coating
1 layer of 9h on plastic and rims
1 layer of Rain on windshield and front side windows
5 year Warranty

Interior CeramicPro (all white) $795
Total $5540
Promotion/Package $ 4995 + optional paint correction

Anyone know if there is factory PPF behind the Model S handles? I know there is some on the rear wheel wells which appears to be cheap and already yellowing a bit after only 2 months. I have a white S and noticed the area behind the door handles looks yellowish too so it makes me wonder if there is PPF there that was installed from the factory or if it is a paint issue. Thanks!

Anyone know if there is factory PPF behind the Model S handles? I know there is some on the rear wheel wells which appears to be cheap and already yellowing a bit after only 2 months. I have a white S and noticed the area behind the door handles looks yellowish too so it makes me wonder if there is PPF there that was installed from the factory or if it is a paint issue. Thanks!
Look close at the PPF in front of the rear wheels. You will see the edges of the PPF. If there is PPF behind the handles you will also be able to see the edges. Should be pretty obvious with looking close. However, I don't think there is PPF there.

I was thinking the same thing; I have a black car and it looks like there is an edge of PPF but I don’t want to pull on it just to check

I was thinking the same thing; I have a black car and it looks like there is an edge of PPF but I don’t want to pull on it just to check
So I just went back out and looked at my car in the sunlight and it definitely has PPF under the door handles. Hard to tell in some spots because it goes right to the edge. It looks like utter garbage though. They must use the absolute cheapest film possible for it to yellow after 2 months. The stuff on the rear wells looks pretty bad too. They should either put quality film on or nothing at all. Instead of the crappy film I wish they had put front mudflaps which I can't find anywhere.

@MarcG was this yours next to the orange ?

Attachments

• 31E0A528-106D-47BB-99EA-EC1A751CA262.jpeg
    31E0A528-106D-47BB-99EA-EC1A751CA262.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: Jet007
Nope! That looks like a stealth gray PPF like mine but I have different wheels.

Where did you shoot this photo?
I cannot take credit. Was on Twitter...east bay owners event. Sweet looking Plaids. I was busy skiing in Stowe...hopefully mine will be that clean again in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    991.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and cwanja
I cannot take credit. Was on Twitter...east bay owners event. Sweet looking Plaids. I was busy skiing in Stowe...hopefully mine will be that clean again in the near future.
Ha, mine is pretty gross too from all the driving to Tahoe.. I’ll just be waiting until after ski season to wash it again. No need to waste water for the car to be dirty again just a few days later.

• Funny
Thanks everyone for the discussion and the wonderful photos.
I got my S delivered yesterday and am looking to get it tinted and PPFed soon.
Here's a quote I received from a bay area shop. Can someone tell me if this looks reasonable?

Vortex IR / Llumar IRX - all sides and rear windshield $675
Vortex IR / Llumar IRX - Front Windshield $350

Full front coverage (full bumper, full hood and full fenders, mirrors and headlights) - XPEL wrap $2475

Silver Plus Package- $1245 + optional paint correction
Extreme Permanent Gloss
2 layer of 9h Glass Shield
1 layer of Light gloss paint coating
1 layer of 9h on plastic and rims
1 layer of Rain on windshield and front side windows
5 year Warranty

Interior CeramicPro (all white) $795
Total $5540
Promotion/Package $ 4995 + optional paint correction

For tint I would recommend going out to Livermore and seeing Matt at Rocky Mountain Tinting. His shop uses Llumar Stratos which is a better film for heat rejection for a little less price as you listed for IRX. It's a one man shop so he does excellent work with low overhead.

For PPF check our Invisiguard in San Jose, he does decent work for excellent prices. He is normally booked out 6-8 weeks though. If you go with Suntek Reaction or STEK films they have ceramic coating on the top layer wash and use a spray wax you won't need to do a separate coating.