Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S - tire inflator powered through usb-c?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USB-C ports have a max of 3 amps. Even the "small" cig style inflators pull 4-5 amps. Is there access somewhere for alligator clips to the 12v battery, and would it support a 5 amp draw? Is there an inflator that's designed to only pull 3 amps through usb-c?

I could go cordless, but that adds another thing of making sure the inflator battery is charged.

After some research, this is basically the best tire inflator you can buy that's not ridiculously expensive. It's rated for "15a max". According to amazon reviews it will definitely blow a 10a fuse, but should be fine with 15a fuses.

I was wondering why you didn't just use the Tesla compressor accessory. Small, in a nice Tesla case, and runs off the 12V. Checking I see this is not sold anymore. I have never used mine, but it looks good. :) I hope it works if I ever need it.

Use the 12 volt accessory plug (cigarette lighter outlet) in the console. It supplies 12A continuous draw (16A peak). If you need a USB plug, you can also plug USB-A or USB-C adapters into the 12V plug for whatever output you need up to 12A. Amazon has them. For instance:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...la-742301047654&ref=&adgrpid=75766078309&th=1

Interesting, so most of these pumps seem to be "15 amps". It doesn't really say if that's a continuous draw, but I assume it is. The pump manuf just says to make sure your 12v circuit has a 15 amp fuse.

It's interesting that tesla specifies 12a continous but 16a peak, which insinuates it has a 15-16 amp fuse. I also couldn't find anything in the manual about the rating of the cig plug

I have tried some of the always Chinese-made pumps. 15 A is no problem, because their continuous current is lower.

These pumps, of which dozens are available on Amazon, always have the same Chinese core pressure sensor and electronics. They are, unfortunately, not good. The final pressure varies. Pressure is off by a few PSI, etc. They do pump though, and they are very cheap.

I have just got one made by OSRAM. Still the same flaws, but at least this one has a little crank to roll up the 3.5 m cigarette lighter cable inside, a nice touch. Unfortunately it as a screw-on valve adapter, rather than the much better clamp-on ones. When you unscrew it from the valve, you always lose some pressure, different for every valve. Stupid design, in my view.

I have a DeWalt Tire Inflator and 5Ah battery. I rarely charge or check on it. I use it decently often as I drive long distances. I also use it to check my parents' car. IMHO, charging the battery isn't an issue with it. I charge it couple times a year at most? It just sits in my trunk.

And I keep it in this case:

It looks like Home Depot is out of stock but Lowes has it.

But yeah, super happy with it. Great build quality. I basically started a DeWalt tool collection because of that tire inflator, LOL.

Thanks everyone. I ended up going with this harbor freight one, based on the project farm youtube videos: 12v 100 PSI High Volume Air Inflator

Ultimately, I figure if I have to use this thing, I'm likely in the middle of nowhere installing a tire plug. I don't want to even remotely risk blowing fuses in a situation like that. If it were for regular around-town I would've gone with the viair