Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I recently got a refreshed Model S long range.
I've noticed excessive wind noise from the R side of front windshield (possibly even the small triangle window). It's kind of hard to pinpoint but its significantly louder than the R side of windshield. You can really hear it >70mph. Only once or twice I've heard a whistle sound, but its rare.
I took it to service center and we went for a drive. The service guy said wind noise (particularly over 65mph) is normal and not part of repair / warranty. I was surprised because my last model S was pretty quiet and did not have such significant wind noise. Also the left side of windshield is quiet.
I have another appt this week with the service center but I'm worried they are going to say the same thing. And they quoted a service fee estimate if not covered by warranty (the car is only 2 months old). Is tesla service just getting that bad? Any advice how to deal with this?
Thanks

They just replaced my front right quarter glass for exactly that… the drivers side will get swapped on the next service visit. I also have wind noise from the top right of the drivers side window.

They’ve been fine helping diagnose and somewhat fixing it.

The right side is noisier, but they are going to charge you. Hate to say it, but they all do it, or at least very many do. When you buy a Tesla, wide gaps, paint quality, some irregular seams, a bit more wind noise, make the car like a 1960s car. Some of these issues are just built into the car

Reactions: aerodyne
I have the same issue from the passenger right side at higher speeds. I initially thought it was the gap between the roof and windshield and bought the trim filler from RPM tesla but unfortunately didn’t work.

I thought it was coming through the vents but also no luck when I shut off the vents.

Don’t see any gaps on the corner window though. Could it also be the windshield seal?

Reactions: SBDPlaid
The rubber gasket around the door and window frame.
I looked at the door jam rubber and and windshield. Didn’t see anything strange with the door jam rubber unless I am missing something.

Did notice that both driver and passenger side bottom windshield gap (under the wipers/hood) has a section that is unsealed. Not sure if that is normal.

Attachments

• 1BBC982F-0548-425E-A764-638ADC852ADB.jpeg
    1BBC982F-0548-425E-A764-638ADC852ADB.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 980
  • AEE9BD47-EA69-4C03-A115-743223F3F1F7.jpeg
    AEE9BD47-EA69-4C03-A115-743223F3F1F7.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 610
  • CBA9DCB0-1400-4AE4-8BC3-D27173113D21.jpeg
    CBA9DCB0-1400-4AE4-8BC3-D27173113D21.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 578
I picked up my Plaid last week, quiet as a mouse!

Initially, I thought the car was flawless inside and out but I have found two minor issues.
The foot well lights are so dim that it is difficult to determine if they are lights and and it looks like my software (2021.43.202) will not be updated for a while and does not include road noise reduction option.. Pretty minor but I did have to find something wrong.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I brought my MS into tesla and they also noted the small triangle window on passenger side is not sealed properly.

However because I tinted my windows, they are saying that the tinters removed the small triangle window and didn’t reinstall it correctly(?), hence said it would be a $350 bill to fix.

Has anyone that got the small triangle window replacements had their window tinted? My tinter said they don’t need to remove the windows to tint, and I believe them more than the tesla claim…

I picked up my Plaid last week, quiet as a mouse!

Initially, I thought the car was flawless inside and out but I have found two minor issues.
The foot well lights are so dim that it is difficult to determine if they are lights and and it looks like my software (2021.43.202) will not be updated for a while and does not include road noise reduction option.. Pretty minor but I did have to find something wrong.
The footwells have a light pipe that runs horizontally and shines through a gap in the footwell panel. If the panel gap isn't quite lined up with the light pipe, then it won't shine as bright. Pretty easy to take a look underneath and see if you can adjust the panel slightly. Firmware versions w/ a large 3rd number like that are typically from the factory, you should get a real software version soon.

Reactions: mswlogo
Unfortunately, since you modified the area in question, it will be up to you to show that the modification didn't cause the problem around the small tinted window.
Yea that’s what they are telling me. Annoying but it is what it is. I’m going to try and silicone seal it like @iyordanov did. Got nothing to lose at this point. That’s annoying.

BF220E19-D270-4C16-BB10-C41CAD2CE1BF.jpeg

Reactions: iyordanov
Yea that’s what they are telling me. Annoying but it is what it is. I’m going to try and silicone seal it like @iyordanov did. Got nothing to lose at this point. That’s annoying.

View attachment 784051

Wow, claiming that it's the tint that caused it is BS! 😡 I had that issue before I got the tint!
Just to clarify - I just used superglue, did not add any silicon strips or anything...just Gorilla super glue:

Once you apply, if you don't have a clamp to keep the seal & the window together, make sure to hold it tight with your fingers for at least a few minutes until it starts curing. Then I'd highly recommend you don't open/close that door for a few hours until it's fully cured. Just FYI I did that "fix" around August/September last year, and so far it still holds and I have no wind noise.

Wow, claiming that it's the tint that caused it is BS! 😡 I had that issue before I got the tint!
Agreed! But just like raising or lowering suspension out of spec, using out of spec tires and wheels, PPF, trailer hitch -- all of these will give any service center a reason not to cover problems that MAY BE affected by the modified parts, whether the modification actually caused the problem or not. The owner can always take Tesla to small claims court or go through arbitration. Most people won't do this, and Tesla knows that.

Reactions: iyordanov