Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pretty convinced when they were inspecting the rubber seal around the window, they made it worse. Now there is a visible tear between the small triangle window and the middle seal that separates the little window and the main passenger window.

I put some electrical tape on the gap, will go for a drive tonight. If it doesn’t make the noise, I’ll add some black silicone rtv on the seal/triangle window to see if it helps.

Wow, claiming that it's the tint that caused it is BS! 😡 I had that issue before I got the tint!
Just to clarify - I just used superglue, did not add any silicon strips or anything...just Gorilla super glue:

Once you apply, if you don't have a clamp to keep the seal & the window together, make sure to hold it tight with your fingers for at least a few minutes until it starts curing. Then I'd highly recommend you don't open/close that door for a few hours until it's fully cured. Just FYI I did that "fix" around August/September last year, and so far it still holds and I have no wind noise.

Pics or it did not happen...

Can you show where you applied the glue?

My driver's small window leaked air. They adjusted and it is better but still a little leak. They said nothing about the tint being a problem.

Pics or it did not happen...

Can you show where you applied the glue?

My driver's small window leaked air. They adjusted and it is better but still a little leak. They said nothing about the tint being a problem.
This is the thing that used to be loose until I glued it...if I remember correctly, I opened it up more than it already was, so I can just glue it all and as evident by the photo - it still stands :)
IMG_1912.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Here’s my comparing the driver side to passenger side. Driver side small window looks more flush, albeit a bit protruding out, whereas the passenger side is really out, huge difference.

Took a drive with thin electrical tape and still heard the noise, albeit by the time my drive was done, the tape was barely clinging onto the trim. May try again with masking tape.

At this point given how much it’s protruding out, I’ll prob just pay the $300 to replace it so the onus is on tesla to fix the wind noise. Blaming this on the tinter is insulting though…

Attachments

• AEFC6481-DFB8-40C1-9B3B-E7E63ABF6946.jpeg
    AEFC6481-DFB8-40C1-9B3B-E7E63ABF6946.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 8927DDCA-5049-4812-B13D-45C2037D2DA7.jpeg
    8927DDCA-5049-4812-B13D-45C2037D2DA7.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 325
  • 21366BC3-7F3A-4C79-AD4B-B3B048B9AFE2.jpeg
    21366BC3-7F3A-4C79-AD4B-B3B048B9AFE2.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 359
Actually found a photo on my pick up day where it shows the little window is already protruding out, as you see a big black line for the seal.

Not even going to bother pushing my tinter on this as I find it offensive they are blaming this on tinted windows…

Attachments

• 1620CF70-F6C6-4B18-B12F-B6925E3D0E2E.jpeg
    1620CF70-F6C6-4B18-B12F-B6925E3D0E2E.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 508663CC-0C06-4D66-A682-F7EE11F0029F.jpeg
    508663CC-0C06-4D66-A682-F7EE11F0029F.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 398
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Actually found a photo on my pick up day where it shows the little window is already protruding out, as you see a big black line for the seal.

Not even going to bother pushing my tinter on this as I find it offensive they are blaming this on tinted windows…
Yeah they will probably say it was 'within spec' on delivery day, if you just challenge them with the photo... one thing you can try is to go to another SC or ask to talk to the manager of the SC...make a fuss. Show them this thread!

Agreed! But just like raising or lowering suspension out of spec, using out of spec tires and wheels, PPF, trailer hitch -- all of these will give any service center a reason not to cover problems that MAY BE affected by the modified parts, whether the modification actually caused the problem or not. The owner can always take Tesla to small claims court or go through arbitration. Most people won't do this, and Tesla knows that.
Right. I hope to put a Model X hitch on and I’ll remove the hitch receiver thingy and put the cover on when I ever bring it in for service and they won’t notice it’s there.

I had wiring for radar detector go along back window in model 3. I pulled it out when I brought it in for the common cracked rear window. No problem. Worth getting no hassle.

Yeah they will probably say it was 'within spec' on delivery day, if you just challenge them with the photo... one thing you can try is to go to another SC or ask to talk to the manager of the SC...make a fuss. Show them this thread!
Right. I hope to put a Model X hitch on and I’ll remove the hitch receiver thingy and put the cover on when I ever bring it in for service and they won’t notice it’s there.

I had wiring for radar detector go along back window in model 3. I pulled it out when I brought it in for the common cracked rear window. No problem. Worth getting no hassle.
Yea But I can’t pull off my tint every time I go in the shop lol.

This is the first time I’ve heard a dealer use window tinting as an excuse for a leaky window, which seems to be quite a common issue.

God forbid my screen breaks and they blame it on my screen protector next…

• Funny
Reactions: iyordanov
Yea But I can’t pull off my tint every time I go in the shop lol.

This is the first time I’ve heard a dealer use window tinting as an excuse for a leaky window, which seems to be quite a common issue.

God forbid my screen breaks and they blame it on my screen protector next…
I don’t think Tesla is the only brand that Baulks at tint. Or even crazier stuff.

I don’t think Tesla is the only brand that Baulks at tint. Or even crazier stuff.
I have a Mercedes’ e53 coupe, the window also tinted, and then ran into a window closure problem where it wouldn’t seal on door close (it’s frameless similar to the tesla and should auto raise on door close). Mercedes changed it with no questions asked.

At the end of the day, it’s $300 so it’s digestible. I’m just annoyed they tried to pin it on window tinting.

Reactions: iyordanov
Here’s my comparing the driver side to passenger side. Driver side small window looks more flush, albeit a bit protruding out, whereas the passenger side is really out, huge difference.

Took a drive with thin electrical tape and still heard the noise, albeit by the time my drive was done, the tape was barely clinging onto the trim. May try again with masking tape.

At this point given how much it’s protruding out, I’ll prob just pay the $300 to replace it so the onus is on tesla to fix the wind noise. Blaming this on the tinter is insulting though…
I had this issue. It was actually the door glass not the small triangular that was misaligned. It looks like bottom edge of your main window is wedged in at angle. The exposed black seal should be same width from bottom to top. The door glass is adjustable by mobile tech, who fixed mine.

I also have some wind whistle at 70+ mph, and determined it’s the front lower edge of triangular window not quite sealing against door gasket. That one’s not so easy to fix, unless I push the inside of gasket into the glass while driving.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: r3nd3r and leonwu
I had this issue. It was actually the door glass not the small triangular that was misaligned. It looks like bottom edge of your main window is wedged in at angle. The exposed black seal should be same width from bottom to top. The door glass is adjustable by mobile tech, who fixed mine.

I also have some wind whistle at 70+ mph, and determined it’s the front lower edge of triangular window not quite sealing against door gasket. That one’s not so easy to fix, unless I push the inside of gasket into the glass while driving.
I'm just going to pay them the ~$300 to have them change the triangle window as clearly the small vertical seal separating the small window and main window is not properly aligned with the small window.

But interesting point re: big window. I do agree that the black vertical trim should be even between big window and little window, top to bottom. I just don't know if its because the small window is too wedged out, or if the big window is too wedged into the interior cabin (since the small vertical seal is attached to the small triangle window, wouldnt the seal be too far out if the little window is too far out?).

Thanks for the tip though, I'll bring it up to them when I go in next week. They'll probably blame by wedged window on tint too :(

I'm just going to pay them the ~$300 to have them change the triangle window as clearly the small vertical seal separating the small window and main window is not properly aligned with the small window.

But interesting point re: big window. I do agree that the black vertical trim should be even between big window and little window, top to bottom. I just don't know if its because the small window is too wedged out, or if the big window is too wedged into the interior cabin (since the small vertical seal is attached to the small triangle window, wouldnt the seal be too far out if the little window is too far out?).

Thanks for the tip though, I'll bring it up to them when I go in next week. They'll probably blame by wedged window on tint too :(
These are pictures before my driver’s window angle was adjusted. The problem had nothing to do with triangular window to my surprise. It’s actually fairly simple to realign from watching the mobile tech. I would start with this fix, and see how the window seals before replacing triangular glass.

E0F23F5F-FFB0-4DBD-9BA9-816E4071FE2A.jpeg2FFA6C86-FA67-4C83-A200-9F6CFB93A815.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: leonwu
These are pictures before my driver’s window angle was adjusted. The problem had nothing to do with triangular window to my surprise. It’s actually fairly simple to realign from watching the mobile tech. I would start with this fix, and see how the window seals before replacing triangular glass.

View attachment 784638View attachment 784639
I’ll definitely raise it to them. Unfortunately if they have deemed my windows to not be covered by warranty due to tint, I feel like they charge me to adjust the windows too and I don’t want to pop the door panel off myself. Though your suggestion makes sense, it may actually be my big window leaning too far in (opposite of you) that then pushed in the seal and made the little window look like it was sticking out.

I’ll probably ask them to check big window alignment when they switch the little window. You are probably right the little one is fine, but they created a rip on the seal between little and big windows when they were “diagnosing”, so it probably needs to get fixed too.

I’ll definitely raise it to them. Unfortunately if they have deemed my windows to not be covered by warranty due to tint, I feel like they charge me to adjust the windows too and I don’t want to pop the door panel off myself. Though your suggestion makes sense, it may actually be my big window leaning too far in (opposite of you) that then pushed in the seal and made the little window look like it was sticking out.

I’ll probably ask them to check big window alignment when they switch the little window. You are probably right the little one is fine, but they created a rip on the seal between little and big windows when they were “diagnosing”, so it probably needs to get fixed too.
Cancel it. Wait a while and convince them your window needs adjustment and schedule a mobile tech to come out. Mobile techs are much better of not griping about mods. If the mobile tech sees you do need a window he will order the part and schedule SC or Mobile to replace and I bet the tint doesn’t come up. You could even remove the tint temporarily if that’s cheaper. It’s a bitch getting tint off though.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz

Go to another service center or escalate in person with manager. Window alignment has nothing to do with tinting. Also, it’s usually helpful to avoid saying you have a “noise” in submitting a service request. Say that the window is not aligned and seal is uneven.

Cancel it. Wait a while and convince them your window needs adjustment and schedule a mobile tech to come out. Mobile techs are much better of not griping about mods. If the mobile tech sees you do need a window he will order the part and schedule SC or Mobile to replace and I bet the tint doesn’t come up. You could even remove the tint temporarily if that’s cheaper. It’s a bitch getting tint off though.

Go to another service center or escalate in person with manager. Window alignment has nothing to do with tinting. Also, it’s usually helpful to avoid saying you have a “noise” in submitting a service request. Say that the window is not aligned and seal is uneven.
Wouldn’t they just look at my last service visit and see the SC documented tint as to blame for my window misalignment?

The another annoying thing is that I have my seat replacement service appointment booked there and the app won’t allow for multiple services.

Wouldn’t they just look at my last service visit and see the SC documented tint as to blame for my window misalignment?

The another annoying thing is that I have my seat replacement service appointment booked there and the app won’t allow for multiple services.
They might they might not. Just get the one thing fixed and wait a bit. It may not be worth your trouble to save $300.

When you get seat fixed, ask to speak with manager and show them window alignment. I think if nice about it, you could get them to start by realigning glass.

Reactions: mswlogo
They might they might not. Just get the one thing fixed and wait a bit. It may not be worth your trouble to save $300.

When you get seat fixed, ask to speak with manager and show them window alignment. I think if nice about it, you could get them to start by realigning glass.
I just booked at the SC to get the seat and window done at once. Rather just resolve the issue for $350 than have it drag on. I drive long distance a lot so the wind noise is annoying. The little window needs replacement now even if it’s aligned since they ripped the seal…

The big window tilt is a great tip though, I’ll bring it up to them - they better not charge me extra for it since they need to pop the door off for small window replacement. My expectation (hope) is that they do what it takes to make the two windows flush.