Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update to this thread:
Just like Greeney said, they finally replaced the front right quarter glass. This part was out of stock for over 2 months. The guy who did the job showed me how the old glass was not even glued on to the rubber, hence all the wind noise. I asked him how Tesla could deliver a new car just like that, he had no clue. He said its pretty common. Once replaced, the wind noise all gone. Tesla needs to up their quality control a bit. Regardless, thanks everyone for their advice / insight.

Just an update to this thread:
Just like Greeney said, they finally replaced the front right quarter glass. This part was out of stock for over 2 months. The guy who did the job showed me how the old glass was not even glued on to the rubber, hence all the wind noise. I asked him how Tesla could deliver a new car just like that, he had no clue. He said its pretty common. Once replaced, the wind noise all gone. Tesla needs to up their quality control a bit. Regardless, thanks everyone for their advice / insight.
Can you explain how to check if glass is not glued to the rubber? Is it possible to see when installed, and which section on the glass? Thanks

Can you explain how to check if glass is not glued to the rubber? Is it possible to see when installed, and which section on the glass? Thanks
So when I went out for a test drive with the service tech, what he did was put his finger along the lining of the quarter glass window, while I was driving 75mph. He found a spot where once held down, the wind noise was gone. That meant there was a leak.

As for knowing if the glue is intact, only way I assume is once the window is removed by the tech.

I had the same issue and self-fixed it. In my case, the weather strip that's supposed to be glued to the small triangle window on the door was not properly glued, leaking air. I just used super-glue and that fixed it.
Hi, Can you share a photo of the fix you've made please?
I cannot locate where the air noise is travelling into the cabin having needed to swap my passenger wing mirror out,

Many thanks,

Having the same and after two visits Tesla swears it’s normal and nothing they can do. They also said it’s not wind noise it’s “turbulence every car has” which is nonsense. I think I’m going to start taping up seams to track down where it is so I can point them directly to it. It kinda sounds higher up but considering how many issues everyone’s had with that little glass piece it’s probably that too.

The footwells have a light pipe that runs horizontally and shines through a gap in the footwell panel. If the panel gap isn't quite lined up with the light pipe, then it won't shine as bright. Pretty easy to take a look underneath and see if you can adjust the panel slightly. Firmware versions w/ a large 3rd number like that are typically from the factory, you should get a real software version soon.
If they put the airbag panel bolt in the magnet that holds the foot well cover, this could well be why the panel is misaligned.

Reviving this thread. I’m getting wind noise at about 70 mph. Would the seal not seating on the triangle glass correctly be a cause of the noise?

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 55
Hi, Can you share a photo of the fix you've made please?
I cannot locate where the air noise is travelling into the cabin having needed to swap my passenger wing mirror out,
I think OP is pointing on this section, see photo. That wind issue has been there since the beginning, so not just with the resent models. Tesla also have upgraded seals for Legacy models.
And that fix @SoCal Buzz is describing does not require to remove door card, there are two covered holes under each door to give access to the window rails so you can adjust the angle.

7576C317-B251-4569-A218-EFFF96600321.jpeg

edit: Looking again at the photo of @iyordanov it seems to be that section, see the second photo. Because this first section can’t be glued as this seal needs to come off if you need to remove the door card. Can you confirm, @iyordanov?

9ED4DA0B-7D3E-4ED1-A8C4-B9480A27205B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
Reviving this thread. I’m getting wind noise at about 70 mph. Would the seal not seating on the triangle glass correctly be a cause of the noise?
I have this exact same issue and it's been driving me crazy. To verify if it was a one-off I even test drove two demo Model S and the both had the same wind noise! Definitely a factory defect. Brought my car to the service center twice, and each time they just pretended to be deaf and claimed that all they could hear was "normal turbulence". So damn frustrating. I have lost my faith in them, and decided to fix it myself.

After numerous attempts, I found that applying some foam insulation tape at these two places eliminates about 95% of the wind noise in that triangle window area. The remaining 5% is barely noticeable, unless I try really really hard. It basically means the triangle glass is not pushing against the rubber seal hard enough and external force needs to be applied (here by the foam tape).

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: jacie6056
I have this exact same issue and it's been driving me crazy. To verify if it was a one-off I even test drove two demo Model S and the both had the same wind noise! Definitely a factory defect. Brought my car to the service center twice, and each time they just pretended to be deaf and claimed that all they could hear was "normal turbulence". So damn frustrating. I have lost my faith in them, and decided to fix it myself.

After numerous attempts, I found that applying some foam insulation tape at these two places eliminates about 95% of the wind noise in that triangle window area. The remaining 5% is barely noticeable, unless I try really really hard. It basically means the triangle glass is not pushing against the rubber seal hard enough and external force needs to be applied (here by the foam tape).
Geez. Foam tape. Ugh. I’ll live with it than having foam tape. They didn’t try replacing that glass or the door trim? Or try adjusting the triangle glass?

Geez. Foam tape. Ugh. I’ll live with it than having foam tape. They didn’t try replacing that glass or the door trim? Or try adjusting the triangle glass?
I know, they are ugly. But you will only see them for that a few seconds when you open the door to get in the car. They become invisible once you shut the door. At least now I can finally "enjoy" the car. I suppose it's not too much to ask for an $80k car?

The service center could not be more useless, with that "we can't fix something that we can't see/hear" BS. What a joke.

I know, they are ugly. But you will only see them for that a few seconds when you open the door to get in the car. They become invisible once you shut the door. At least now I can finally "enjoy" the car. I suppose it's not too much to ask for an $80k car?

The service center could not be more useless, with that "we can't fix something that we can't see/hear" BS. What a joke.
I hear you. did they not go on a test drive with you?

i got my driver side quarter panel glass replaced. but surprise. i get water ingress now. lol. tech adjustited the quarter panel glass inward. Still leaks.
I'm thinking it may be a bad replacement part + combo of door seal. Funny thing is tech says he water tested 2x. I take the car home and was the car the next day and i see water. wtf do these guy do for water testing lol. Car is back in. i'm hoping the tech doesn't start adjusting the roll down window as that is aligned pretty good with the b-pillar glass and rear passenger window. Rather have him replace with another new glass aligned with the other glass and if still leaking, change out the door seal. I did a smoke test to show them. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 33
i got my driver side quarter panel glass replaced. but surprise. i get water ingress now. lol. tech adjustited the quarter panel glass inward. Still leaks.
I'm thinking it may be a bad replacement part + combo of door seal. Funny thing is tech says he water tested 2x. I take the car home and was the car the next day and i see water. wtf do these guy do for water testing lol. Car is back in. i'm hoping the tech doesn't start adjusting the roll down window as that is aligned pretty good with the b-pillar glass and rear passenger window. Rather have him replace with another new glass aligned with the other glass and if still leaking, change out the door seal. I did a smoke test to show them. lol.
They fail to fix the issue, while breaking something else. Sounds typical.

Just don't drive in the rain, or wash the car. Works for me.