Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S/X yoke controls owners survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yoke and related controls on the refresh MS/MX is an endless source of debate, but every thread devolves into endless subjective arguments and YouTube comment section style insults.

For those still considering buying a refresh Model S/X, it's hard to tell whether the yoke works well for most, or continues to be an issue even after getting used to it. Tesla doesn't offer test drives on the MS/MX, so you basically have to spend a ~$100K and hope for the best.

If you own a refresh Model S or X with yoke controls, please fill out this survey to help potential new owners make a more objectively informed decision. It's anonymous, takes a minute to fill out, and if we get enough responses, maybe also serve as helpful customer feedback for Tesla (since they don't seem to solicit any).

Tesla Model S/X Yoke Controls - Owners Survey

Results will be shared here as well as r/teslamotors.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chet S
I didn't know there was a choice. As far as I understood, the cars now have a yoke, and I guess that if people don't want a yoke, they can buy a Honda or such like. Most people will have no problem adapting to a squared off steering wheel, which is what the yoke is. You make it sound like a yoke would deter a car thief because he couldn't figure out how to turn it.

Like me, I suppose Tesla can't figure what all the worry is about. The yoke works. The buttons work, too, and anyone with a working brain can soon figure out where each button is and what it does, just like when the buttons moved from the dash to the steering wheel. When cars were first built, they came with a joystick affair that stood up between the driver's feet, and it's likely that there were some who couldn't understand why we needed a steering wheel.

You do know, of course, that Tesla will not likely change the yoke back to a steering wheel for a few people who can't possibly get used to it. Maybe some aftermarket company will try to get rich selling wheels to yoke owners, but I wouldn't bet on it. The yoke is almost a steering wheel as it is, and it amazes me that there are ANY people, vocal though they may be, who think these surveys will change anyone's mind at Tesla. If I hadn't bought my Tesla recently, I'd be tempted to go out and buy one now, just so I could have a yoke.

I didn't know there was a choice. As far as I understood, the cars now have a yoke, and I guess that if people don't want a yoke, they can buy a Honda or such like. Most people will have no problem adapting to a squared off steering wheel, which is what the yoke is. You make it sound like a yoke would deter a car thief because he couldn't figure out how to turn it.

Like me, I suppose Tesla can't figure what all the worry is about. The yoke works. The buttons work, too, and anyone with a working brain can soon figure out where each button is and what it does, just like when the buttons moved from the dash to the steering wheel. When cars were first built, they came with a joystick affair that stood up between the driver's feet, and it's likely that there were some who couldn't understand why we needed a steering wheel.

You do know, of course, that Tesla will not likely change the yoke back to a steering wheel for a few people who can't possibly get used to it. Maybe some aftermarket company will try to get rich selling wheels to yoke owners, but I wouldn't bet on it. The yoke is almost a steering wheel as it is, and it amazes me that there are ANY people, vocal though they may be, who think these surveys will change anyone's mind at Tesla. If I hadn't bought my Tesla recently, I'd be tempted to go out and buy one now, just so I could have a yoke.
Really I'm just trying to get more objective and balanced feedback (from existing MS/MX refresh owners) to help me, and hopefully others in a similar position, to decide about existing MS order. Definitely not trying to start yet another debate about it.

Well, I agree that we all have to get used to 'change', but from an end user stand point, it's always nice to have an option. True, that does slow down production to swap out wheel configurations, but it's not like Tesla is churning out Model S/X in droves like their other models.

As for this survey, my personal opinion is that any feedback that can be added to the database of user opinions is great!

If it weren't for suggestions from Tesla owners, we would still be using the same interface on our MCUs as we did back in 2013, and build quality would still be wretched. Other car companies aren't nearly as open to change as Tesla. If Tesla were draconian about the yoke, they would've put them in all their vehicles by default two years ago. Model S/X is a good test, but again... it would be nice to configure the car so you had the option of still having a steering wheel; particularly if you have dexterity issues that make a yoke more cumbersome.

Reactions: Beasts
...objective and balanced feedback...
When spending more than $100,000 for a yoke, I am not sure how objective the feedback can be.

You just need to decide what you want.

I know I am adaptable, so if I am forced to use a yoke, I can do it, but I will not pay for it.

I will not take that job if you pay me to use a yoke.

I have a CyberTruck reservation, but if there's no choice for a round steering wheel, I will not buy it.

I choose the round steering wheel because I feel more in control:

But that's my subjective feedback because I don't own nor ever experience a yoke.

Others who own one would report the fact (that means it's objective and not subjective) that they have more control because the yoke forces the 9-3 hand position practice.

Reactions: 3mp_kwh
A survey isn't going to help you or anyone else. Surveys and polls are well-understood to be a poor way of gathering data. All the more so when the survey isn't designed by a professional.

Either you're going to like the yoke or not. If you're someone who doesn't like change or adapting to new situations you're very unlikely to like the yoke. Given you're looking for survey information to inform your choice, chances are you're not going to like the yoke.

A survey isn't going to help you or anyone else. Surveys and polls are well-understood to be a poor way of gathering data. All the more so when the survey isn't designed by a professional.

Either you're going to like the yoke or not. If you're someone who doesn't like change or adapting to new situations you're very unlikely to like the yoke. Given you're looking for survey information to inform your choice, chances are you're not going to like the yoke.
I disagree. I researched all the 3rd party round wheel options while I waited for my order and checked in renting as well. I was very concerned about the Yoke. Turns out I think it’s fine. I think a lot of owners have gone through the same motions.

My guess is 9 out of 10 (or higher) end up liking it.

Reactions: XHokie and bhzmark
I disagree. I researched all the 3rd party round wheel options while I waited for my order and checked in renting as well. I was very concerned about the Yoke. Turns out I think it’s fine. I think a lot of owners have gone through the same motions.

I have had the yoke since December and am fine with it. However, I’m not a fan of the lack of physical buttons on the yoke. After 7 months, I still accidentally engage the voice control when turning.

This forum has all and more than a survey can provide on the yoke. Search for "yoke" and you'll be generating a survey with lots of data.
Forum posts tend to overrepresent negative viewpoints, so you get a skewed picture.

With enough submissions, a survey can give a more representative view, and the structure allows for better analysis.

Survey link is fixed now in the original post here - thanks mods!

Forum posts tend to overrepresent negative viewpoints, so you get a skewed picture.

With enough submissions, a survey can give a more representative view, and the structure allows for better analysis.

Survey link is fixed now in the original post here - thanks mods!
Your question "How do you like the capacitive buttons for turn signals, windshield wiper, and the horn?" really should be broken out into two. I generally like the buttons for the turn signals, but the horn button is universally hated. Combining horn with the other buttons else is going to skew the results of the capacitive buttons generally.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Your question "How do you like the capacitive buttons for turn signals, windshield wiper, and the horn?" really should be broken out into two. I generally like the buttons for the turn signals, but the horn button is universally hated. Combining horn with the other buttons else is going to skew the results of the capacitive buttons generally.

You're right, I should have split that question. But too late now to change, since there are a bunch of submissions.

Took the survey, I love the yoke steering! I used to fly when I was much younger, now I can relive my past without takeoffs and landings.
Thanks! My hope is that we can get to a 100 submissions, and then we can slice the results and maybe find some interesting patterns. Or at the very least, show a more accurate perspective on the yoke/etc to balance with the polarized strong opinions in the various threads here.

It's these "9 out 10 guess" theories that require a survey. Ideally by Tesla of confirmed owners. I for one hate it, and know others that hate it. So my guess is less than 5 out of 10 like it :cool:

Reactions: TigerNinety
+1 for splitting. I hate buttons for turn signal and horn, but fine for wiper. I miss the autopilot stalk the most.

It's these "9 out 10 guess" theories that require a survey. Ideally by Tesla of confirmed owners. I for one hate it, and know others that hate it. So my guess is less than 5 out of 10 like it :cool:

Tesla should absolutely be running owner surveys or something but they have no incentive to given the demand.

Based on the 23 replies so far, here's how much the three things are "liked", defining that as an answer of 4 or 5 out of the 1-5 scale:

yoke: 52%
capacitive buttons: 34%
gear selection: 39%

But, 65% of existing owners would buy another refresh M/S, so these are not dealbreakers for most(ish).

+1 for splitting. I hate buttons for turn signal and horn, but fine for wiper. I miss the autopilot stalk the most.
Next time :)

• Informative
Reactions: Mark II