Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X GPS Drifting WILDLY. AP, and nav is unusable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

niogyn

Steam-ing pile of RAM (8GB)
Jul 30, 2021
USA
Pictures attached.

I have an ongoing issue with my GPS drifting that has effectively rendered my navigation, autopilot, etc., completely useless. I've googled the issue and seems other Tesla owners have had similar issues over the years, but no real solution in sight. I've attempted to reset the car by holding the two buttons on my steering wheel down, and 'powered off' the car using the service menu. Nada.

Pictures of the issue below, but any idea what is going on and more important, how to fix?

IMG_0712.jpeg
IMG_0751.PNG
IMG_0753.PNG
IMG_0768.jpeg

This issue is driving me nuts. I just got the car Feb 14th. The issue seems to have started after I had tint installed at OCDetailing, not sure if that's just a coincidence or if a signal is getting blocked, or something was damaged in installation?

(Two of the pictures borrowed from this thread, because OP did a great job illustrating the issue)

Reactions: jiehan
Pictures attached.

I have an ongoing issue with my GPS drifting that has effectively rendered my navigation, autopilot, etc., completely useless. I've googled the issue and seems other Tesla owners have had similar issues over the years, but no real solution in sight. I've attempted to reset the car by holding the two buttons on my steering wheel down, and 'powered off' the car using the service menu. Nada.

Pictures of the issue below, but any idea what is going on and more important, how to fix?

View attachment 780575View attachment 780576View attachment 780577View attachment 780578

This issue is driving me nuts. I just got the car Feb 14th. The issue seems to have started after I had tint installed at OCDetailing, not sure if that's just a coincidence or if a signal is getting blocked, or something was damaged in installation?

(Two of the pictures borrowed from this thread, because OP did a great job illustrating the issue)
Make a service appointment.

Hi @niogyn ,

While you are waiting for your service appointment
there is something you might want to try...

In the Service menu "Change Wheel Size"
Change the wheel size or easier change the wheel color.
Let the car reboot.
Change the wheel size or color back to the original size or color.
Let the car reboot again...

Check to see if the GPS works now.
This is a better version of the scroll wheel reboot...
It has worked well for many vehicles types in another thread.

Good Luck,

Shawn

PS - Still in the Model X waiting room for my September 2022 Model X...
Glad you are out...

Hi @niogyn ,

While you are waiting for your service appointment
there is something you might want to try...

In the Service menu "Change Wheel Size"
Change the wheel size or easier change the wheel color.
Let the car reboot.
Change the wheel size or color back to the original size or color.
Let the car reboot again...

Check to see if the GPS works now.
This is a better version of the scroll wheel reboot...
It has worked well for many vehicles types in another thread.

Good Luck,

Shawn

PS - Still in the Model X waiting room for my September 2022 Model X...
Glad you are out...

That’s such a weird trick, it just might work! I’ll give it a try next time it does it. (So, likely later today)

That’s such a weird trick, it just might work! I’ll give it a try next time it does it. (So, likely later today)
Well, I highly doubt it's tinting. Mine had issue before and after tinting. Film makers like 3M disclose that metallic tints will affect interior electronics. Most of use don't use metallic, I chose ceramic. Also if you can make calls on your phone, use gmaps phone nav in both high and low accuracy mode then it cannot mean tint is the issue since phone sig goes through the windows. I now use my phone to nav.

I did a ’hard’ reset (see YT vids), not sure if this is even a thing but after this the gps will fix itself after 5 min or so of driving. Then days later it goes bonkers. Never tried the wheel config reset. Dropped off at Tesla this morn, but the tech guy had a blank look on his face when I described the issue. I have no confidence in them, maybe just have to live with it.

The fact it comes and goes, fixes itself gets better after hard reset seems to me like software, firmware not strictly hardware.

Well, I highly doubt it's tinting. Mine had issue before and after tinting. Film makers like 3M disclose that metallic tints will affect interior electronics. Most of use don't use metallic, I chose ceramic. Also if you can make calls on your phone, use gmaps phone nav in both high and low accuracy mode then it cannot mean tint is the issue since phone sig goes through the windows. I now use my phone to nav.

I did a ’hard’ reset (see YT vids), not sure if this is even a thing but after this the gps will fix itself after 5 min or so of driving. Then days later it goes bonkers. Never tried the wheel config reset. Dropped off at Tesla this morn, but the tech guy had a blank look on his face when I described the issue. I have no confidence in them, maybe just have to live with it.

The fact it comes and goes, fixes itself gets better after hard reset seems to me like software, firmware not strictly hardware.

Can confirm, none of the resets worked. The service center is going to replace the antenna, but they don’t currently have it in stock.

So, back for round 2 in April 7th

@niogyn My father just took delivery of his LR X a week ago and has the same GPS issues that you have. He's got a service appointment on Monday. He's currently on firmware v11.0 2021.43.202 and his X has no after market tinting / anything.

@niogyn My father just took delivery of his LR X a week ago and has the same GPS issues that you have. He's got a service appointment on Monday. He's currently on firmware v11.0 2021.43.202 and his X has no after market tinting / anything.

I just dropped my car off to have the GPS antenna replaced, they had to wait for the part to come in.

They said that the logs show the antenna disconnected 44 times. Personally, I think that’s too simplistic, because it potentially doesn’t address “why” it disconnected that often.

I think they just saw the antenna issue, and decided that must be what needs to be replaced.

I’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Follow up on this - dad took his X in for service, they couldn't reproduce the GPS drifting and inaccuracies but he continued to see them. They did however perform some possible fixes: car computer ground reinstallation and EMI protection near the GPS. See attached from services invoice. So far so good, will report back if it does not fix the problem.

gps.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: croman and BamaATL
Follow up on this - dad took his X in for service, they couldn't reproduce the GPS drifting and inaccuracies but he continued to see them. They did however perform some possible fixes: car computer ground reinstallation and EMI protection near the GPS. See attached from services invoice. So far so good, will report back if it does not fix the problem.

View attachment 797806

Yes, please update after additional testing.

View attachment 797806
My dad got on the road this morning in his new X to drive from Oregon to Ohio, he just supercharged, is in the middle of Idaho, and his X is going completely bonkers. GPS location is all over the place, he's getting dozens of warnings in the UI while driving from low tire pressure warnings to pull over immediately, and the car isn't making a cellular connection. Having him call roadside assistance it's a complete mess.

Tesla has some major problems with this refreshed X.

• Informative
Reactions: mr-dmitry
My dad got on the road this morning in his new X to drive from Oregon to Ohio, he just supercharged, is in the middle of Idaho, and his X is going completely bonkers. GPS location is all over the place, he's getting dozens of warnings in the UI while driving from low tire pressure warnings to pull over immediately, and the car isn't making a cellular connection. Having him call roadside assistance it's a complete mess.

Tesla has some major problems with this refreshed X.

Tesla replaced my computer today for this exact issue. They said it was overheating after supercharging. Multiple people with this issue.

See this thread.

Reactions: fpb600