Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X GPS Drifting WILDLY. AP, and nav is unusable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have not have my car back. But I did talk to a few model x owners across USA and Canada. It seems not software issue like the sa have said. It’s definitely a hardware issue. Some model x owner already have their cars fixed.
Thanks for your kind sharing. Which hardware replacement did they get done to resolve the GPS issue?

Thanks

Yes it caused interferences to the gps cable nearby. That's why some folks were able to get it addressed with EMI insulation, but getting the interference source correctly eliminated is better.
Thank you very much . The tech from tesla told me it’s software issue and returned my car. It if has issues I will reach out to them again. This is so time consuming …

I got the car back. They told me everything is fine and I just have to wait for software update. I know it’s not software so I made another request asking them to fix the gps issue.
In my case, the part they replaced for me was the following: INTERIOR CAMERA, IR
(LEFT HAND DRIVE)
(1588124-00-J). Not sure if this part number directly specified the new revision tho.

Reactions: BonB
In my case, the part they replaced for me was the following: INTERIOR CAMERA, IR
(LEFT HAND DRIVE)
(1588124-00-J). Not sure if this part number directly specified the new revision tho.
Thank you very much! I will copy and send this to Tesla service center. Just curious, which service center did you go to ? Maybe Ill just go to the same one since the one near me couldn’t fix it

I found this thread and felt the need to register to report what they did for mine, as I was experiencing this exact problem in my 2020 MY LR. Two service appointments, first one they pulled the GPS beacon but it was fine. Did not fix the problem at all. Second one they cleared the cache, whatever exactly that means, and it DID seem to make a tremendous impact. Instead of the GPS drift/auto-slow happening every minute, it happens every couple hundred miles or so.

I found this thread and felt the need to register to report what they did for mine, as I was experiencing this exact problem in my 2020 MY LR. Two service appointments, first one they pulled the GPS beacon but it was fine. Did not fix the problem at all. Second one they cleared the cache, whatever exactly that means, and it DID seem to make a tremendous impact. Instead of the GPS drift/auto-slow happening every minute, it happens every couple hundred miles or so.
Thanks very much for your kind sharing. Did you think that they fixed it completely?

Thanks very much for your kind sharing. Did you think that they fixed it completely?
Unfortunately no, but it did have a major reduction. FSD/AP was functionally useless before the cache clearance, now it happens very infrequently. I take really long car trips in my Tesla, so it has ample opportunity for this to happen. The incidence rate is so low now that I don't think about it anymore.

IMO, it was software based. I have no proof of this but I had no problems for the first 1.5 years with my car. Then one update, bam.

Also, I should note that an owner on another forum stated he solved his same problem by doing 20 figure 8s. May be worth a quick shot.

Taking mine in to the Seattle Sodo service center tomorrow. Tried to make the appointment for Renton but they pushed me over there as Renton is a Lite Service Center.

Mine has been constant, at best it’s 10-20 feet off, worst it can be miles off. I pointed them to this thread and let them know I did a bug report voice command and about the cabin camera replacement. Hope it’s a quick fix.

I would recommend everyone here experiencing the GPS issue file a report with the NHTSA as the autopilot cruise speed is inferred from the map data. This is what I submitted in my report:

There is an issue with the GPS in that the location is not accurate, sometimes it is off by 10-20 feet, enough to put it on a different road, sometimes it's off by miles. This is very dangerous as when using Autopilot, it uses map data to set the cruising speed, and if the GPS is reporting the car is on a different road, the speed can change to being faster or slower than the actual road the car is on.