Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X: keyfobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
took delivery of a refresh model X on 7/30/22. we were suprised that we weren't being given keyfobs. they said no more keyfobs for model X and S since May 2022.

anyone else encounter this?

thanks in advance.

----
***sorry just noticed other peoples replies on this topic and dont remember how to delete

took delivery of a refresh model X on 7/30/22. we were suprised that we weren't being given keyfobs. they said no more keyfobs for model X and S since May 2022.

anyone else encounter this?

thanks in advance.

That's what's so unique about Tesla. You just have to take its words for it even when they don't show you any documentation, memo, policy, announcement...

No more fobs. My 2016 included 2 fobs but key cards didn’t exist then. Now it’s key cards only for all models. You need to purchase fobs. Through Tesla direct they’re $175. Out of stock as of today but if you really want to spend the coin, you can pay a premium on eBay for $250 which I think is too high. I plan to source one via Tesla direct or when the prices are lower on eBay.

No more fobs. My 2016 included 2 fobs but key cards didn’t exist then. Now it’s key cards only for all models. You need to purchase fobs. Through Tesla direct they’re $175. Out of stock as of today but if you really want to spend the coin, you can pay a premium on eBay for $250 which I think is too high. I plan to source one via Tesla direct or when the prices are lower on eBay.
Check with your delivery center. Most keep them in stock locally

Check with your delivery center. Most keep them in stock locally
I open a service ticket. They closed it without responding. I opened a 2nd and repeated it as upgrade/accessories and requested to purchase a key fob since they were out of stock online. I received an estimate for $32 and a schedule service visit. So I have a mobile service visit to my house for tomorrow afternoon and we’ll see what happens.

I open a service ticket. They closed it without responding. I opened a 2nd and repeated it as upgrade/accessories and requested to purchase a key fob since they were out of stock online. I received an estimate for $32 and a schedule service visit. So I have a mobile service visit to my house for tomorrow afternoon and we’ll see what happens.
This is wild, you have a mobile tech coming over for a key fob???

New X, no fob. Am sad. Fob Y great, want fob X. Why no fob.
Because the vast majority of folks do not use them, self included. I got two of them with my delivery (June), and thought for sure I would use them. But the phone key works so well, they are hanging on our key hook and never get moved. Your Y did not come with any fob either.

I never leave my house without my phone (my phone is also the key to our house) so it is one less thing I have to carry. My wife and I are both retired, kids are all gone. Two people, two Teslas, two iPhones. Simple life.

Because the vast majority of folks do not use them, self included. I got two of them with my delivery (June), and thought for sure I would use them. But the phone key works so well, they are hanging on our key hook and never get moved. Your Y did not come with any fob either.

I never leave my house without my phone (my phone is also the key to our house) so it is one less thing I have to carry. My wife and I are both retired, kids are all gone. Two people, two Teslas, two iPhones. Simple life.
I’ll buy an X fob from you. I like the fob. Having to unlock and get my phone to access the car is a pain when you have 2+ Teslas and you need to swipe to the active vehicle. Fob in pocket and viola. Access.

Reactions: jboy210

No fob on store. All gone. Very sad.

Got Y fob on store. Is great. More responsive than the app for dumb summon and opening the frunk/trunk when walking up to the Y. Can blindly press a button. Can't do the same with the app.

Plz sell fobs, we love fobs.

Moderator note: Merged from another thread.

I just picked up my new MX LR (white/white 6 seater that is INCREDIBLE) and they didn't give me any key fobs...just the two credit card keys. My S came with key fobs, and I could have sworn I read the X came with them as well. Are these guys messing with me or did they stop including them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up my new MX LR (white/white 6 seater that is INCREDIBLE) and they didn't give me any key fobs...just the two credit card keys. My S came with key fobs, and I could have sworn I read the X came with them as well. Are these guys messing with me or did they stop including them?
It would be nice if they could show you the documentation that S and X fobs are no longer included. That's $350 for a pair.

It would be nice if they could show you the documentation that S and X fobs are no longer included. That's $350 for a pair.
Yeah, pretty crappy service really. I gave them a cashiers check...the lady wrote my name on it, told me they would mail me paperwork in a few works. She handed me the credit card wallet/keys thing, told me she'd turn the blinkers on and that I only have 100 miles to report any delivery related issues so look it over. I asked for the fobs and she said the key cards is all we get. Then she turned around and walked away. Cool experience.

The MX gobs are back in the Tesla on-line store, but I got a message that they are "incompatible with the vehicle on fine." This in dark gray text on a darker gray background that was almost impossible to read. But, the car on fine is a '22 MX LR. So, what's with that???

The MX gobs are back in the Tesla on-line store, but I got a message that they are "incompatible with the vehicle on fine." This in dark gray text on a darker gray background that was almost impossible to read. But, the car on fine is a '22 MX LR. So, what's with that???
I've got to go to the service center next week to wrap up some delivery issues and they have them in stock there for $10 cheaper than the website so I'm just going to get it there.

That said, after getting my phone setup with Apple Shortcuts to do quick things like unlock, or unlock and open the doors, I may be less interested in the fob as that's pretty much just as fast...it's free, and I can do it from my watch or phone without opening any apps or carrying anything else around with me.