Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to let you guys know that I used the following link to check on the progress of my old man's Model Y Performance (hoping for a BOOKED status, which unfortunately still was ORDERED, but I noticed that his model S has a BOOKED status). Not sure if it means anything for the S, but for the Y it means that your car has been or will be produced imminently.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I used the following link to check on the progress of my old man's Model Y Performance (hoping for a BOOKED status, which unfortunately still was ORDERED, but I noticed that his model S has a BOOKED status). Not sure if it means anything for the S, but for the Y it means that your car has been or will be produced imminently.

Mine appears to be the same for what it's worth. We can only hope.

Hi guys I priced a Plaid in Midnight Silver with 21's last year at $231,151 drive away in the ACT (stamp duty exempt). Any idea of where we are at now? I know there's been a US$6K price increase but also an increase in the LCT threshold. So I'm thinking probably around 245K.

Hi guys I priced a Plaid in Midnight Silver with 21's last year at $231,151 drive away in the ACT (stamp duty exempt). Any idea of where we are at now? I know there's been a US$6K price increase but also an increase in the LCT threshold. So I'm thinking probably around 245K.
It's anyone's guess.
Tesla does take into account exchange rates when pricing in Australia, and USD is about 20% higher vs AUD than about a year ago, so with the $6,000USD price rise would be around $240,000AUD at the old rate, at current rate $240,000*1.2= $288,000 AUD

But that ignores pre- and post-covid cost changes, so who knows.

It's anyone's guess.
Tesla does take into account exchange rates when pricing in Australia, and USD is about 20% higher vs AUD than about a year ago, so with the $6,000USD price rise would be around $240,000AUD at the old rate, at current rate $240,000*1.2= $288,000 AUD

But that ignores pre- and post-covid cost changes, so who knows.

They'll not sell many at $288k, I think they may lower it here....not so much because of the Plaid but even just the standard S that will be $200+ which will make it vastly more expensive than a number of competitors including EQE which does achieve great real life range...

Compeition is starting to come in, as it does local market adjystments will need occur...something Tesla hasn't had to deal with very much as yet....

They'll not sell many at $288k, I think they may lower it here....not so much because of the Plaid but even just the standard S that will be $200+ which will make it vastly more expensive than a number of competitors including EQE which does achieve great real life range...

Compeition is starting to come in, as it does local market adjystments will need occur...something Tesla hasn't had to deal with very much as yet....
I certainly hope it's less than that when it comes out here.
Having said that, a friend of mine bought a Model X for >$300,000 before the big price cut a few years ago. He wasn't super happy when a few months later the price dropped to around $230,000, but it shows that some people will pay 300k for these things.

I certainly hope it's less than that when it comes out here.
Having said that, a friend of mine bought a Model X for >$300,000 before the big price cut a few years ago. He wasn't super happy when a few months later the price dropped to around $230,000, but it shows that some people will pay 300k for these things.
Yep....okay to charge premium when there is no alternatives....the new BMW iX M50 (which is cheaper by more than $50k with our guesstimates) has longer range than the Long Range Model X...and the M50 isn't iX isn't even BMW's long ranger version of the iX....

You'd have to think local market adjustments are going to need to be taken in to account...I know there is more to a charge than range and speed of charging however the BMW iX also is better than the Model X in a lot of areas such as build quality, quietness and since SC's in Australia isn't much better than other alternatives it doesn't really bode well for Tesla to be charging a premium because of SC's

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a new S, but not at $80k more than a EQE 53....I'll see which way I go..I know Tesla will get me loyal on the overall tech...we shall see....

Yep....okay to charge premium when there is no alternatives....the new BMW iX M50 (which is cheaper by more than $50k with our guesstimates) has longer range than the Long Range Model X...and the M50 isn't iX isn't even BMW's long ranger version of the iX....

You'd have to think local market adjustments are going to need to be taken in to account...I know there is more to a charge than range and speed of charging however the BMW iX also is better than the Model X in a lot of areas such as build quality, quietness and since SC's in Australia isn't much better than other alternatives it doesn't really bode well for Tesla to be charging a premium because of SC's

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a new S, but not at $80k more than a EQE 53....I'll see which way I go..I know Tesla will get me loyal on the overall tech...we shall see....
I agree with everything you're saying, but I just hope Tesla sees it that way and is reasonable with the pricing when the S finally arrives.
I do think that SCs in Australia are a better experience than going to an Evie or NRMA CCS2 charger though.

I wouldn't worry, you have a PDF of your sales agreement which supposedly locks it in at that price. Tesla has a history of honouring those (other manufacturers don't). That being said, Tesla also has not even started selling the new S or X outside of North America. No customer units have shipped to left hand drive markets in China or Europe. Ever since the cut the S and X down from two lines to one, to make room for my Y and 3 production in Fremont, theyve been supply constrained. They might just put the RHD Model S/X into the too hard basket, if it rolls on for much longer, because Europe and China will also be huge markets they need to fulfil. If it takes another year or two for the car to roll out here, it'll be a 14 year old chassis at that point and surely approaching replacement.

I wouldn't worry, you have a PDF of your sales agreement which supposedly locks it in at that price. Tesla has a history of honouring those (other manufacturers don't). That being said, Tesla also has not even started selling the new S or X outside of North America. No customer units have shipped to left hand drive markets in China or Europe. Ever since the cut the S and X down from two lines to one, to make room for my Y and 3 production in Fremont, theyve been supply constrained. They might just put the RHD Model S/X into the too hard basket, if it rolls on for much longer, because Europe and China will also be huge markets they need to fulfil. If it takes another year or two for the car to roll out here, it'll be a 14 year old chassis at that point and surely approaching replacement.

I'll be replacing my 3P for either an S or a EQE 53....if by years end we're still not hearing anything from Tesla I'll put my S reservation and go the Merc....I guess I'll just need to put in an order for the EQE 53 as soon as possible otherwise Merc may be supply constrained also.

I highly regret selling my S, the 3/Y's are nowhere near as good as the S/X's...as least I have my wife's X to drive around ;)

I agree with everything you're saying, but I just hope Tesla sees it that way and is reasonable with the pricing when the S finally arrives.
I do think that SCs in Australia are a better experience than going to an Evie or NRMA CCS2 charger though.

Why not just use ChargeFox? I think the Merc's and BMWs are coming with 3 or 5 years of free charging with ChargeFox and from what I can tell pretty much where there is a Tesla SC there is a ChargeFox...maybe I'm wrong but if we're talking about NRMA and how they share with ChargeFox you may be right re reliability/easy of use, but if we stick to where ChargeFox/Tesla SC's are and use the actual ChargeFox network (not third-parties such as NRMA) I of the understanding there is not much of a difference re locations/easy of use....

All a mute point for me though I guess...my car is only an around towner and to and from the beach home so I don't require or use SC's.....

...from what I can tell pretty much where there is a Tesla SC there is a ChargeFox...
It's pretty much the other way around - where there's a Chargefox site there's usually an SC close by but not vice-versa.

In NSW there's Narooma, Canberra, Bathurst, Dubbo, Hollydene, Central Coast and Tamworth Superchargers that I can think of that don't have Chargefox sites close by.

Before pricing was suspended last December a Model S Plaid was $186,990. Unfortunately with a $US6K price rise and a drop in the $AUD that puts the current price at $203,350 ($US 135,990 as per Tesla US website). As Tesla do take into account changes in forex we would need the Australian dollar to return to US73 cents to return to the original price.

Before pricing was suspended last December a Model S Plaid was $186,990. Unfortunately with a $US6K price rise and a drop in the $AUD that puts the current price at $203,350 ($US 135,990 as per Tesla US website). As Tesla do take into account changes in forex we would need the Australian dollar to return to US73 cents to return to the original price.
I think you mean the Model S LR was $186k. The Plaid was a lot more than that even from launch.

It's going to be interesting to see what Tesla does with prior orders given the time in between, the shift in the AUD/USD and the vastly different performance and specs of the AWD/Plaid Vs the LR/Perf that many would have ordered.

I think the first sign we might see will be with US Cybertruck orders, given it appears the models on offer might be somewhat different to the initial announcement some years ago.

Why not just use ChargeFox? I think the Merc's and BMWs are coming with 3 or 5 years of free charging with ChargeFox and from what I can tell pretty much where there is a Tesla SC there is a ChargeFox...maybe I'm wrong but if we're talking about NRMA and how they share with ChargeFox you may be right re reliability/easy of use, but if we stick to where ChargeFox/Tesla SC's are and use the actual ChargeFox network (not third-parties such as NRMA) I of the understanding there is not much of a difference re locations/easy of use....

All a mute point for me though I guess...my car is only an around towner and to and from the beach home so I don't require or use SC's.....
The other providers are certainly getting better and better, but SC still the best in my opinion.
Banks of up to 10 chargers in a site, real-time usage data, navigation awareness (routes via SC etc), reliability, no point-of-sale authentication or payment and so on.