Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S compared to S P90d Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my new S is in service for QC work, I have Model S P90d as a loner. The P90d UI interface is so much better than the refresh. Album art/Media displays on left hand side of driver console, as it should (unless Nav is active); multiple options on right hand side of drivers console, ie temp settings, etc. On center console, album art much larger and P90d even has AM radio that can be combined with FM radio favorites. How can current car not have any of this stuff? Big step backwards (my BMW interfaces only got better, not worse). Should not have to wait for this stuff either, as Tesla should only be improving what they have already built.

I even think the P90D drives smoother, as my refresh S suspension can be bouncy. Hoping that is just a defect. They will be looking at that in service. . I would think the refresh S would drive smoother, as the P90d is a much older car. Hoping others that have owned both can chime in and say the refresh should be better with the suspension.

Had my car for about three weeks now, but now almost a week with Tesla Service. As someone who is new to Tesla, so far, I am not that impressed with the whole experience. Always thought I would be blown away by Tesla. If I had been given a chance to test drive, not sure I would have pulled the trigger and just kept my 2021 BMW 5 Series.

I know I need to give it some time, but I just don’t understand the above. I surely hope it gets better.

Yes the P90D rides smoother but it’s too smooth for a lot of us. Way too bouncy. It’s part of the reason I never picked up a Tesla back then. The new S rides more like a sports sedan, a more complete package in that regard. And yes, the new UI needs work. A lot of work.

I have an S75D in my garage now while my Plaid is in service yet again, for another two weeks because Tesla can’t build a car right yet, and the UI is much better, but of course the interior on the new car is miles more ergonomic.

• Informative
Reactions: Muzzman1
I drive a P90DL with coil suspension and the PLAID was another league. It was not even close. The new suspension is so much more nimble, planted and direct (read not hard) it was a joy. My P90D is too hard, bouncy and feels like a much bigger car (also caused by the bigger steering wheel). Also cornering is MUCH better with the plaid.
Tesla made their homework. This finally drives better than a 5 series or Taycan which are too firm and stuff IMHO.
The color options of the PLAID however, I won’t even start. Mega boring.

Last edited:
I drive a P90DL with coil suspension and the PLAID was another league. It was not even close. The new suspension is so much more nimble, planted and direct (read not hard) it was a joy. My P90D is too hard, bouncy and feels like a much bigger car (also caused by the bigger steering wheel). Also cornering is MUCH better with the plaid.
Tesla made their homework. This finally drives better than a 5 series or Taycan which are too firm and stuff IMHO.
The color options of the PLAID however, I won’t even start. Mega boring.
Thanks for that. Hopefully that means something is wrong with the my refresh suspension and they correct it, since I think the P90D drives much smoother, although as you say not nimble.

In our refresh S, our dog, who normally falls asleep as soon as we get going in cars we have and have had before, can’t sleep at all and has even been shaking on a couple trips. Strange….

Will Tesla bring the UI interface at least as good as it was in the P90D, as it so much better? Wish refresh had AM radio, which I use for sports and talk radio, as local sports get blacked out on any streaming services, except Sirius.

After driving the P90D, I still prefer a normal steering wheel over the Yoke. Not that the Yoke is horrible, as I like the touch controls and being able to see the drivers console better, but it was not needed and a regular steering wheel is just more comfortable.

Can’t believe how bad the range is on a P90D, that is one thing I could not have lived with, since I drive so much. :)

The range on the P90D is not bad per se if you drive 19“ and put it to Sport or Chill (draws less Amps). Plus Range Mode and one ends up with a de facto FWD drive car and by that you achieve a range of 10-15% less as the 90D which is quite good despite the brutal powerful big performance motor.

The Plaid has different suspension modes. Ever tested „comfort“?

And the Yoke is a great invention after one day of concentrated driving.
Putting the seats forward (no more „harassed“ B-Pillars) in combination with a shorter dash and a raised seat (preparation of 4680 cell height) the immens torque and smaller steering wheel diameter gives a second to none driving experience. IMHO better that Porsche since you sit more „on top“ of the scene around you than with a „dash wall“ in front of you.
Everything is instant.
Mercedes will never prevail with their „waterbed“ comfy attempt on all their new EQs-That’s like a slow computer nowadays.

One thing is bad tho: the button placement and the tiny small tactile area under the icons.
Permanent hit or mostly miss.
They should’ve positioned them different.
Each single blinking effort now needs re confirmation by your eyes. Two steps back.
Same for UI. The car unlock is now buried two clicks away. Basically everything now needs two steps which used to be a single one.
Why? For the sake of looking „modern“?
C‘ mon….

Tesla makes a terrible job in under promoting all those beautiful facts. They should do Ads. The Plaid deserves it. They should fire their brand manager. Who is this btw?

Last edited:
Reactions: DBV1