Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S - Dashcam Viewer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all with the Refresh S - with our new LR on 2021.12.4.3 software i cant see the Dashcam Viewer … im guessing it should be in the icon panel next to HomeLink …but not sure..

would love to hear from someone who has it working

A654CEA5-4288-48E7-A3B9-766D382838F0.jpeg

Do you have USB storage inserted into one of the front USB ports with the FAT32 format and the correct directory structure on the drive? You won't see a Dashcam icon and the included viewer until Dashcam is operational. It is in the manual.

Did they include storage in the glove box or something on the refresh models? If so, the drive still needs to be set up correctly.

Do you have USB storage inserted into one of the front USB ports with the FAT32 format and the correct directory structure on the drive? You won't see a Dashcam icon and the included viewer until Dashcam is operational. It is in the manual.

Did they include storage in the glove box or something on the refresh models? If so, the drive still needs to be set up correctly.

I’m having the same issues on my new Model S Refresh. Tesla did include a USB drive in the glove compartment. I tried taking it out and plugging it back in as well as formatting the drive using the format option in settings. Still hasn’t shown up for me to view. Not sure what else to do.

There should be a dash cam icon you should be able to click that and then it gives you the option to view the video player. Should be, they could be working on it still. So swipe from the left which should bring up the quick setting click the dash cam icon and see what happens hope that helps.

You may have a bad USB port in the glove box, or a corrupt format. Try using one of the front USB ports in the console to see if they work. If not, the built in Tesla format and setup of the drive has failed before for several members of this forum. Try formatting the USB drive on a computer using FAT32, and adding manually the main folder and 3 subfolders as described in the manual. It is best to use FAT32, even though it says you can use some other format options. Then try the drive in more than one front USB port to see if it works in any port. I know, it really shouldn't be this difficult. :)

I’m having the same issues on my new Model S Refresh. Tesla did include a USB drive in the glove compartment. I tried taking it out and plugging it back in as well as formatting the drive using the format option in settings. Still hasn’t shown up for me to view. Not sure what else to do.
Right - i just cant find the icon anywhere - maybe a new software release will sort that out….

Right - i just cant find the icon anywhere - maybe a new software release will sort that out….
The icon will not appear unless it recognizes a properly formatted USB drive. Try a different USB port. It could be the new port in the glovebox is not exactly sorted out yet. Try reformatting the drive with a computer. It just doesn't seem like there is any difference in the Plaid Dashcam from the rest of us non-plaid owners. There must be a workaround to use this "old" technology on your new Plaids.

We noticed the same issue too. The car recognized the USB drive and then the SSD drive and indicated it was recording but there was no way to access to dashcam viewer. We tried touching the icon and it turned recording off and on or indicated the recording was saved. It would also save clips when honking. We wondered if we were just not looking in the right place but it sounds like there is a bug causing the option not to display.

We noticed the same issue too. The car recognized the USB drive and then the SSD drive and indicated it was recording but there was no way to access to dashcam viewer. We tried touching the icon and it turned recording off and on or indicated the recording was saved. It would also save clips when honking. We wondered if we were just not looking in the right place but it sounds like there is a bug causing the option not to display.
If you have the icon, and it recognizes the USB drive and records, that is the big part. The dashcam viewer can only be accessed by touching the dashcam icon when the car is in PARK. You are saying this does not work?

If you have the icon, and it recognizes the USB drive and records, that is the big part. The dashcam viewer can only be accessed by touching the dashcam icon when the car is in PARK. You are saying this does not work?
Yes exactly - the Dashcam icon is nowhere to be seen in PARK

and with the new UI its hard to even know WHERE that icon would show - if anybody gets it going would love to know how you did it

thanks to all for the assistance

with the new UI its hard to even know WHERE that icon would show
They moved the DashCam icon to the Controls menu in settings:

Screen-Shot-2021-06-11-at-12.23.19-PM.jpg

But it's just an on/off button right now as of 2021.12.4.3 just like @MorrisonHiker mentioned.
We tried touching the icon and it turned recording off and on or indicated the recording was saved.

As with all things Tesla, you'll have to wait for a software update that enables the "Launch Viewer" feature... 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
You may have a bad USB port in the glove box, or a corrupt format. Try using one of the front USB ports in the console to see if they work. If not, the built in Tesla format and setup of the drive has failed before for several members of this forum. Try formatting the USB drive on a computer using FAT32, and adding manually the main folder and 3 subfolders as described in the manual. It is best to use FAT32, even though it says you can use some other format options. Then try the drive in more than one front USB port to see if it works in any port. I know, it really shouldn't be this difficult. :)

I also tried reformatting the USB drive on a computer using exFAT (the only option available) using the Tesla manual instructions, but that didn't work either. I tried a complete format (not quick format) which didn't do the trick either. The videos do record because I am able to access them when plugging the USB drive into the computer, but currently, it doesn't look like the viewer is available on the Tesla dashboard. Would have been very useful otherwise! More waiting.

Took delivery of a new Plaid. I don't see the dash cam viewer anywhere. Sounds like others are having the same issue. I'll try a different USB drive to see if that helps.

To the earlier poster suggesting to use the other front ports, those are not USB-A ports so you can't plug in a flash drive. They are USB-C only.

Took delivery of a new Plaid. I don't see the dash cam viewer anywhere. Sounds like others are having the same issue. I'll try a different USB drive to see if that helps.

To the earlier poster suggesting to use the other front ports, those are not USB-A ports so you can't plug in a flash drive. They are USB-C only.
There's no button in the software to turn it on yet so a new USB drive won't change that. Someone did suggest trying to turn it on via a voice command but we haven't been able to test that yet.

There are several other features that are missing/incomplete that are being discussed here: Wiki - 2021 Refresh S - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

Reactions: Art VandeIay

You can get a USB-A to USB-C adapter, but from the other posts on this issue, it appears to be a software issue that Tesla will address in an update.

They moved the DashCam icon to the Controls menu in settings:

View attachment 678435

But it's just an on/off button right now as of 2021.12.4.3 just like @MorrisonHiker mentioned.

As with all things Tesla, you'll have to wait for a software update that enables the "Launch Viewer" feature... 🤷‍♂️
Just updated to 20221.12.4.6 last night. Still not changed. Is the camera recording even if the viewer isn't available? I haven't pulled the USB drive to check it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
The "open dashcam viewer" while parked worked for me. This might be a dumb question, but is there anyway to integrate the dashcam to help with parking? Would be nice to have that along with the rear and sides views when the camera button is pressed? First tesla here, so not sure if previous models had a front cam that you can bring up on command.

Tesla as supposedly been working on a 360 degree cam, which would probably solve this issue. I also miss the front cam and forward side cams hile parking so you can see how close to the front curb or end of the pavement you are when pulling in straight to a parking space, and if the car is high enough to clear the parking block. For the short term, just have an option to display forward, front sides, rear sides, and rear cameras on the screen.