Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S Range (est)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of Martian 19" wheels with Conti DWS06+ at 245/45R19 for my not yet received refreshed MS.

Will this wheel/tire size work on the new model S? The staggered wheel setup above would look great, but I'm interested in a little more sidewall for pothole resilience, range, and tire life.

I have 19s and 21s for my P100D and the real world highway range hit on the 21s is basically in the noise. I've made the exact same trip with similar weather and actually had the 21s have a lower wh/mi than the 19s. In general I think its more like a 1-2% hit for highway range.

Reactions: jlear
I have 19s and 21s for my P100D and the real world highway range hit on the 21s is basically in the noise. I've made the exact same trip with similar weather and actually had the 21s have a lower wh/mi than the 19s. In general I think its more like a 1-2% hit for highway range.
I was wondering that, as highway is my real concern, not around town. I was wondering if heavy wheels wont really matter at a constant speed. I could see the issue in stop and go, but inertia should negate the weight once on the highway.

Wow that’s great, I expected 255-45 all around. On the site, you can see the 19” front tire is 255-45-19 but you can’t see the size of the rear 19 and 21 tires.
Yeah if that's true, they're doing pretty awesome range without pizza-cutters on the car. Which makes sense, they must have cracked that particular code with the Y as its on a pretty big and wide wheel/tire package, porsche-esque even

Maybe they've figured out you can put a 255 on a 9.5" rim and get more energy back from reduced sidewall flex than you lose from the additional width, dunno, but whatever they're doing it's working

Yeah if that's true, they're doing pretty awesome range without pizza-cutters on the car. Which makes sense, they must have cracked that particular code with the Y as its on a pretty big and wide wheel/tire package, porsche-esque even

Maybe they've figured out you can put a 255 on a 9.5" rim and get more energy back from reduced sidewall flex than you lose from the additional width, dunno, but whatever they're doing it's working
you can put a 285 on a 9.5" rim. I've done it, no issues.

I bought a set of Martian 19" wheels with Conti DWS06+ at 245/45R19 for my not yet received refreshed MS.

Will this wheel/tire size work on the new model S? The staggered wheel setup above would look great, but I'm interested in a little more sidewall for pothole resilience, range, and tire life.
They'll probably work but I'd get spacers (especially rear) so the wheels look right. Someone mentioned the rear tire on the 19s will be 285-40. If true, then a 245-45 will most likely have a decent gap in the wheel well. Tesla probably did a lot of research and testing on this so I'd stick with the recommended tire size.

Last edited:
you can put a 285 on a 9.5" rim. I've done it, no issues.
So has Mercedes and dozens of others, that's an OEM width/section width pairing on thousands of cars. I've put a 315 on a 9.5, that's not what I was saying.

What I'm saying is I wonder if they've found better wheel support from a wider wheel under a narrower tire = less energy loss to sidewall flex. 255 on a 9.5 is the stock fitment on Model Y.

Anyone know what the OEM tires are on the 19''?

The 21'' comes with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but came up empty-handed when googling for the 19''.
The ones we saw Saturday were Pirelli. Maybe you can make out the details in the attached images? Note that these aren't delivered cars.

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-09_10-23-16.jpg
    photo_2021-08-09_10-23-16.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 44
  • photo_2021-08-09_10-23-13.jpg
    photo_2021-08-09_10-23-13.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 34