Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S Stereo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you send a pic of your sound balance and tone settings? Just curious
7E55A68E-E258-448A-B39E-B9C5A02AA740.jpegD0A1E46A-CAD6-4113-89FF-E1B466E26AB0.jpeg

This. Mine seems a lot better with the latest firmware, but I still think the Y sounds noticeably better.

funny. I test drove a MY and thought the stereo was over-rated from what I read on here. Wasn't impressed. The Plaid i drove had a way better sound sytem, to my ears. My last 4 Porsche's have had the Burmester, and the MS was 80-90% of that IMO. I was impressed with the MSP

I noticed the same front and also left bias, and have the fader target moved rear/right. I agree the low level listening needs loudness. My equalizer takes treble frequencies down, it was drowning out mids and bass. These adjustments help, but I don’t find the overall presence and sound stage that good or that bad I have to say.

I like the V shaped EQ curve. The system isn't good in your opinion?
This is just my point. To you “good” means over-boosting the lows and the highs (the V-shaped EQ settings), which seems to be the case for many. To those who appreciate natural sounding music - that’s the equivalent of slathering a nice steak with ketchup :)

I did note that unlike a home system, some boost of the lower frequencies over the noise floor you get when you drive probably gives the most natural sound when driving.

This is just my point. To you “good” means over-boosting the lows and the highs (the V-shaped EQ settings), which seems to be the case for many. To those who appreciate natural sounding music - that’s the equivalent of slathering a nice steak with ketchup :)

I did note that unlike a home system, some boost of the lower frequencies over the noise floor you get when you drive probably gives the most natural sound when driving.
It sounds like you might be familiar with target curves, but you think there's only room for one. The best advice is to offer options that have wide appeal (like the Harman curve), and then tell the owner to season to taste, perhaps with ketchup. It is their stereo after all.

I find my EQ preference varies on the type of music I'm listening to. Typically the more bass a song is mixed with, the more I want, and I don't always try to boost the lacking frequencies or attenuate the high ones. This is counter to the typical advice to flatten the curve (EQ in less bass with dubstep, more bass with the Beatles) but I like what I like. This is also a good reason why threads like this one go on for so long.

That pink noise RTA tells quite a bit. That is an excellent graph and fairly ideal.

Now, to my knowledge, Tesla doesn't heavily market the sound system as anything spectacular. I believe they call it premium but that's about it.

I find the system to be far superior the B&O unleashed in my 21 f150 platinum.

The thing that Tesla got very correct with this setup is the sound deadening. Good, well deadened environment is one of if not the most important factory in a good system.

I'm sure there's quite a bit that can be improved upon but from the factory its not bad at all IMO.

I've spent a significant amount of time in both a Model 3 and refreshed Model S and here is my two cents;

The Model 3 sound system is superior to Model S solely in the bass/immersive-ness of the sound. It's punchier, much more centred, and seems to permeate the cabin at higher volumes. The Model S sounds just as accurate as the Model 3; however, it doesn't feel centred or punchy; it almost sounds like it's shouting the music at you at louder volumes and is missing that permeating feel.

If the definition of "sound stage" is what I am describing with the word permeating, then yes, that's what I am referring to.

Running 2021.32.20. Curious if I’m alone in feeling that the refresh S’s soundstage seems to be heavily toward the front. I like the stereo overall quite a bit and the subwoofer sounds great after the latest updates, but I don’t recall ever having this issue before and certainly not with my prior Model 3. I have to put the fader slightly toward the back so it doesn’t sound like the music is originating from near where the windshield meets the dash. I have the immersive sound set to high, although changes in that seem to have little impact.

Not claiming to be an audiophile so hopefully the above makes sense. Anyone else experiencing this?
That is why they install a fader plus left/right adjustment and frequency adjustments. This way each owner can precisely set the sound stage to their preference. No need to get hung up if your preference does not correlate from precisely in the center on the display. Set it how you prefer and enjoy the music.

The system in my refreshed X is over the Moon awsome. As fine a stock system I have ever experienced. In my opinion, far better than the German competition.

I've spent a significant amount of time in both a Model 3 and refreshed Model S and here is my two cents;

The Model 3 sound system is superior to Model S solely in the bass/immersive-ness of the sound. It's punchier, much more centred, and seems to permeate the cabin at higher volumes. The Model S sounds just as accurate as the Model 3; however, it doesn't feel centred or punchy; it almost sounds like it's shouting the music at you at louder volumes and is missing that permeating feel.

If the definition of "sound stage" is what I am describing with the word permeating, then yes, that's what I am referring to.
I totally disagree. I have many different sound systems in many high end cars and my refresh Model S has one of the best sound systems I have experienced in a car. Get the settings dialed in and very hard to beat.

I totally disagree. I have many different sound systems in many high end cars and my refresh Model S has one of the best sound systems I have experienced in a car. Get the settings dialed in and very hard to beat.
I never said it was bad. Both beat any other sound system I've heard in a car hands down. I'm saying the Model 3 is slightly better and it's noticeable.

I got this model S refresh loaner while my 85d is getting mcu2 upgrade.. even after playing with settings I am convinced the sound system is really worse as compared to my 8 year old 85d (with premium audio). bass is too boomy and ruins music to cheap uncontrolled sub woofers.. if you reduce bass to negative min then only one can tolerate this crap. But then there is no bass..

It’s clear that Tesla doesn’t pay any attention to MS. I agree to other posters that MY audio is better.

Agreed.

I would rate them refresh MS, M3, and the MY being the worst of those three I've tried.

After dialing in my MS, it's much clearer and cleaner than the M3 and especially the MY. It's not even really close and at one point I had 2 MYs, MS to compare with.

It sounds like everyone has their preferences, the MS is certainly louder and has more bass.