Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S Stereo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Running 2021.32.20. Curious if I’m alone in feeling that the refresh S’s soundstage seems to be heavily toward the front. I like the stereo overall quite a bit and the subwoofer sounds great after the latest updates, but I don’t recall ever having this issue before and certainly not with my prior Model 3. I have to put the fader slightly toward the back so it doesn’t sound like the music is originating from near where the windshield meets the dash. I have the immersive sound set to high, although changes in that seem to have little impact.

Not claiming to be an audiophile so hopefully the above makes sense. Anyone else experiencing this?

Running 2021.32.20. Curious if I’m alone in feeling that the refresh S’s soundstage seems to be heavily toward the front. I like the stereo overall quite a bit and the subwoofer sounds great after the latest updates, but I don’t recall ever having this issue before and certainly not with my prior Model 3. I have to put the fader slightly toward the back so it doesn’t sound like the music is originating from near where the windshield meets the dash. I have the immersive sound set to high, although changes in that seem to have little impact.

Not claiming to be an audiophile so hopefully the above makes sense. Anyone else experiencing this?
I noticed this too. Had to look a couple time to see where the balance is. Definitely does not match the balance point on the touch screen.

Yep, refreshed S stereo really blows, as compared to the M3 and MY stereo. I have both 2021s, so I can accurately gauge the differences - night and day, really. Quite sad. The 3/Y sound so much better, crisper and balanced.

Glad to get confirmation that it’s not just my ears.

I personally wouldn’t go so far as to say it blows, as it still outpaces every car I’ve owned other than maybe the Model 3, but the soundstage thing is a bummer. Hopefully there can be software updates to better balance it.

Glad to get confirmation that it’s not just my ears.

I personally wouldn’t go so far as to say it blows, as it still outpaces every car I’ve owned other than maybe the Model 3, but the soundstage thing is a bummer. Hopefully there can be software updates to better balance it.
Agreed, but I did say "in comparison to" the M3/MY....

Hum I dunno... I have a '21 MYP and a '21 MYLR. Will do some critical listening later with some FLAC files.....
Would love to get your thoughts on quality. Also on volume. It seems like the M3/MY amps are more powerful and crisper/cleaner than what's in my Plaid. Volume levels are definitely lower in the Plaid and most of the volume comes from the windshield area. If you move the balance back some, the volume level really falls off.

Ok so I finally did some critical listing to determine the differences in the audio between my '21 MYP and '21 MSLR.

I used FLAC files on a USB and played songs from a few albums I know in my DNA and are extremely well recorded.

Bottom line is BOTH sound excellent. Crisp highs, deep tight and thunderous lows. Good MID's. At this point
I don't know what to think. I DO think the "immersive sound" feature in the MSLR set to the middle sounds best for
the mids, and I may give the nod to that. It took a while to get the Sub and Bass tuned to a sweet spot where it wasn't too much. I kept
having to switch back and forth to try to find differences. In both cars the overall volume level was pretty much the same as well.

At this point the jury is still out and I need to do more listening, for longer in each car. But in both cases, the audio was SUPERB
in both cars. Right now I *may* give the nod to the MSLR as the mids seem a bit more smooth and balanced, but the MYP sound
may be a bit "tighter" and punchier. Stay tuned!

I don't have a Model S or another Tesla as a reference, but I do know that the Model Y Performance sound system is crisp and pretty good for that it is. Not the best I have listened to though. I prefer the Harman Kardon 11 speaker system in my 2018 Kia Optima SX.

Reactions: jebinc
@jebinc Maybe something's wrong with yours? I've always done serious upgrades to my sound systems in all of my cars. On my 2 previous S's I installed Light harmonic amps/speakers, SQ subs.
With my plaid in stock form, my ears are blown away. I've never owned a car with a better sound system.
Not sure I'd call myself an audiophile, but I do have some VERY serious vintage home audio that have seriously spoiled my ears over the years....and the plaid still impresses me.
How does yours sound compared to @WilliamG ? I know he's impressed as well.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
@jebinc Maybe something's wrong with yours? I've always done serious upgrades to my sound systems in all of my cars. On my 2 previous S's I installed Light harmonic amps/speakers, SQ subs.
With my plaid in stock form, my ears are blown away. I've never owned a car with a better sound system.
Not sure I'd call myself an audiophile, but I do have some VERY serious vintage home audio that have seriously spoiled my ears over the years....and the plaid still impresses me.
How does yours sound compared to @WilliamG ? I know he's impressed as well.

@Muzzman1 Could be, as my Plaid had had many problems; most recently, half shaft replacements last week. Compared to my 3, and now MYP, the Plaid sounds under powered, and not as crisp. It’s not bad, but I do prefer listening in my MYP more than the Plaid. Haven’t compared mine to @WilliamG

Just drove my new Model S LR for first time tonight and thought the sounds was much more front heavy than it should be. I have not touched the settings yet, but so far it is no where near as good as my Harmon Kardon on my 2021 BMW 5.

Has anyone figured out the best settings, as I am expecting much more from the system?

Also - is album art supposed to show up from FM stations? It always appeared on my BMW. Is there anyway to make album art bigger on that massive screen?

I know I have a lot to learn and will play around with settings tomorrow. Need like a Tesla for dummies book, as so much different than all my past BMW’s that I could use with my eyes closed. LOL

Yep, refreshed S stereo really blows, as compared to the M3 and MY stereo. I have both 2021s, so I can accurately gauge the differences - night and day, really. Quite sad. The 3/Y sound so much better, crisper and balanced.
100%. The Y sounds so much better. The refresh S stereo sounds like front biased. I moved the balance slightly rear of center.

Disappointed in the audio.