Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S Tire Load Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, picked up a set of winter tires for my Refresh LR. Noticed that the front tires don't have the "Extra Load" load rating but the rears do. The front tires load rating is 100V so according to that the tires can withstand the weight of my S, not sure if I need XL tires and can't find too much info on this online. Can someone help me confirm these front tires are safe for my car?

100 refers to the load which for four tires is a total of 7,056 lbs.
V is the speed rating, V is good to 149 MPH
As to SL versus XL, you may find these helpful

Had a look at this, looks like running a SL tire isn't much or a safety risk maybe just some worse wear and a little less stability.

It’s not just if it supports the weight. It’s if it supports the g forces. Which is why load range is so high.

If you got into accident and insurance found out you had under specified tires good luck making a claim. And if anyone was hurt you could be liable. Like what if one of those tires blew out and someone was killed ( even if it had nothing to do with load range). Don’t you think investigators would check your equipment? Chances of that happening are extremely low. But it can happen.

Whoever installed them should fix it.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
It’s not just if it supports the weight. It’s if it supports the g forces. Which is why load range is so high.

If you got into accident and insurance found out you had under specified tires good luck making a claim. And if anyone was hurt you could be liable. Like what if one of those tires blew out and someone was killed ( even if it had nothing to do with load range). Don’t you think investigators would check your equipment? Chances of that happening are extremely low. But it can happen.

Whoever installed them should fix it.
Yes I agree with what you said, but my question is if XL tires are requirement. On the PMCtire website it shows that the tires are fine but just wanted to double check before I mount them

Yes I agree with what you said, but my question is if XL tires are requirement. On the PMCtire website it shows that the tires are fine but just wanted to double check before I mount them

The owner’s manual or the sticker on the front door frame tells you what you need. I have SL tires on my 2020 MS. The car came SL tires and that is what I replaced them with.

Does your sticker or manual specifically state SL? Or does it just not say either SL or XL?
Actually my manual says:

”Wheel and tires are matched to suit the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Replacement tires must comply with the original specification. If tires other than those specified are used, ensure that the load and speed ratings marked on the tire (see Understanding Tire Markings on page 186) equal or exceed those of the original specification.”

The original tires on my car were 245/45R19 98W Treadwear 500, Traction A, Temperature A

Since the abbreviation for “Standard Load” is SL or nothing, the tires are Standard. If a tire is XL it is so marked.

My replacement tires are:
Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06 Plus
245/45R19 98Y SL BSW Treadwear 540, Traction AA, Temperature A

Reactions: jookyone