Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh S60 weighed: Under 4400lb!

u00mem9

Jun 8, 2016
USA
image.jpeg
I put my refresh S60 on the scales today, and was pleasantly surprised that it was lighter than expected at 4394 lbs.

That's less than the S70 spec weight of 4555lbs so I'm pretty happy.

Model S60 (RWD)
Body color
Next gen seats
Premium interior
19" slipstream wheels
No other options (other than AP)
I was getting a washer fluid low warning :)

u00mem9

Jun 8, 2016
USA
The sunroof is a huge weight increase because Tesla reinforced the entire B pillar with a stamped steel doubler and added lots of structure in the bodyshell to recover / exceed the closed car strength...it works out to ~150lb! and much of it is at the top of the vehicle to really sabotage CG height.

R.S

Mar 8, 2015
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Really impressive since its basically a 75 kWh car. Once they move all cars to the new pack architecture and maybe reintroduce a real 60, the weight should go down a lot. Maybe even close to 4000, for the lightest version.

mdevp

Sep 30, 2014
nj
How much does the Air Suspension weigh compared to coils? It seems that would be another ~100lbs, is that right?

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I fill my air suspension system with a helium recharge to lighten the car. Makes up for the added weight of sunroof. We drove onto scales with a fully load car passengers and luggage... and nearly hit 6000 lbs. My wife took it personally and began a new diet.

Even a "light" model S.. 4500 lbs. Honda Accord 3375 lbs, the heaviest 2016 I could find on the list.

You still win in any collision! (Don't worry about being too lite, and you can always add weight.. few sandbags in the frunk would be awesome.)

Last edited:

u00mem9

Jun 8, 2016
USA
Obviously this is only light relative to other Model S variants. These are definitely not light cars

Also, the helium filled air suspension would be a net loser...reducing load on the tire and thus grip, but not reducing mass and inertia (and thereby the need for grip) but a similar amount... I know you weren't serious, but someone else will likely read it...they may be 12...and pretty soon the interweb is slightly worse.

u00mem9

Jun 8, 2016
USA
Car was also heavier when I put the 50ft 14-50 extension cord back in :D...so sad.

I think I need a Caterham to offset my garage.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC