TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Refresh S60 weighed: Under 4400lb!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by u00mem9, Sep 23, 2016.

1. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

image.jpeg I put my refresh S60 on the scales today, and was pleasantly surprised that it was lighter than expected at 4394 lbs.

That's less than the S70 spec weight of 4555lbs so I'm pretty happy.

Model S60 (RWD)
    Body color
    Next gen seats
    Premium interior
    19" slipstream wheels
    No other options (other than AP)
    I was getting a washer fluid low warning :)

2. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I see you don't have a sunroof. I think that not having it will have saved a few lbs for you.

3. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

The sunroof is a huge weight increase because Tesla reinforced the entire B pillar with a stamped steel doubler and added lots of structure in the bodyshell to recover / exceed the closed car strength...it works out to ~150lb! and much of it is at the top of the vehicle to really sabotage CG height.

• Like x 2
  4. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

wow, compare to Model S P100D of 4950 Ibs. That's a huge weight saving there.

5. R.S

R.S Member

Really impressive since its basically a 75 kWh car. Once they move all cars to the new pack architecture and maybe reintroduce a real 60, the weight should go down a lot. Maybe even close to 4000, for the lightest version.

6. mdevp

mdevp Member

How much does the Air Suspension weigh compared to coils? It seems that would be another ~100lbs, is that right?

7. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Here are the published curb weights from Tesla. :cool:

Tesla Model S weight.PNG

8. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I think that is for the old 60 kWh instead of the new 60 that is a software limited 75

9. scottm

scottm Active Member

#9 scottm, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    I fill my air suspension system with a helium recharge to lighten the car. Makes up for the added weight of sunroof. We drove onto scales with a fully load car passengers and luggage... and nearly hit 6000 lbs. My wife took it personally and began a new diet.

Even a "light" model S.. 4500 lbs. Honda Accord 3375 lbs, the heaviest 2016 I could find on the list.

You still win in any collision! (Don't worry about being too lite, and you can always add weight.. few sandbags in the frunk would be awesome.)

10. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Obviously this is only light relative to other Model S variants. These are definitely not light cars

Also, the helium filled air suspension would be a net loser...reducing load on the tire and thus grip, but not reducing mass and inertia (and thereby the need for grip) but a similar amount... I know you weren't serious, but someone else will likely read it...they may be 12...and pretty soon the interweb is slightly worse.

11. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Car was also heavier when I put the 50ft 14-50 extension cord back in :D...so sad.

I think I need a Caterham to offset my garage.