Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Transponder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hayseed_MS

Spreader of "Endless Non Sequitur"
Jan 19, 2021
Strong Badia
Looking to put my I-Pass transponder in my new Model S. The owners manual states to mount in lower passenger windshield. Has anyone had issues with it at that location?

Also, I have issues at some locations and have to read the numbers off the back or hold it up out the window. With it in the lower pass windshield, I cannot reach it while driving.

Looking to put my I-Pass transponder in my new Model S. The owners manual states to mount in lower passenger windshield. Has anyone had issues with it at that location?

Also, I have issues at some locations and have to read the numbers off the back or hold it up out the window. With it in the lower pass windshield, I cannot reach it while driving.

I'd follow the diagram. I did for my model S (near the rearview mirror for my version) and it works great. I think there is a metallic film that blocks RF outside the diagrammed area.

As far as reaching the transponder, I've never had any issues with the device being read but you can, at least in my state, opt for a transponder that goes outside the car under the front license plate holder.

Reactions: VikH and Hayseed_MS
I'd follow the diagram. I did for my model S (near the rearview mirror for my version) and it works great. I think there is a metallic film that blocks RF outside the diagrammed area.

As far as reaching the transponder, I've never had any issues with the device being read but you can, at least in my state, opt for a transponder that goes outside the car under the front license plate holder.

Thanks. It looks pretty stupid down in the pass corner. I do not need it much so will just flash out the window the few times I do use it.

Does the roof glass block the transmission?

I just looked this up in the manual and I agree that looks ridiculous (attached). Like @DerbyDave said, I doubt they added back the metallic coating to the windshield, so try tucking it behind the rear view mirror. Let us know what works since I will need to do the same soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.45.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.45.03 AM.png
    570.8 KB · Views: 501
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Although my manual also has a location for RFID in the 2020, the image you posted with the yoke steering wheel indicates that maybe they DID add metallic coating back again, for some reason. I read where they did switch glass manufacturers for the windshield this year to Peru's AGP from AGC. The new glass is lightweight and is eGlass.