Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh X Auto doors not closing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have the issue of the auto doors not closing when the pop open gap is too small? I've observed if the door is only slightly open, say under 5 inches, the driver door can't close itself.

Many times the scenario is I'm just walking past and the auto door thinks I want to get in but it's a little tight so it pops only a little. Now when I walk away I expect it to close itself and lock but it tries and it can't get to the 'grab' latch to pull it in. Now the door is say 1inch open, just out of the grab range. I won't notice until much later when I see a notification that a door is unlocked. Which of course is scary since the car is unlocked the entire time.

Anyone else have this issue?

What I propose is they improve the software and using the bpillar camera, be able to tell that it didn't actually close/lock so it would redo a open-close to get it to have the momentum to reach the grab lock.

Reactions: snowy
I went to 2 different service centers and was told this is expected behavior on the refreshed X, which I believe is untrue. The user manual specifies door should pop open between 20 and 45 degrees depending on obstacles, so anything under 20 degrees is below spec.