Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, how the hell do they assign orders to cars... with a monkey and a dart board?

Only thing I can think of is that most people probably aren’t getting FSD for $10k so that may have put him in a favorable position when they cranked one out with that spec.

It was an inventory car that popped up on Tesla’s site. My guess is that they made a few extra in California as they have been popping up on the site. Also I added FSD it wasn’t spec’d that way. But as others have stated it’s jus a flip of a bit

Question for people who have been waiting forever. If Tesla had told you in September that you wouldn't get your car until 2021, would you have still ordered?

It depends on when in 2021. Early Jan, maybe, maybe not... Feb+, forget it.

There really are 3 main things that bug me.

1) I knew I would need a car the first week of Dec so I ‘ordered’ the car way ahead in Sep to make sure this would happen. I’m used to ordering cars from a system where the manufacturer assigns you a production slot so the delivery margin is usually pretty small. The SA told me that it wouldn’t be an issue. We’re 1-ish weeks past my target at this point, so holding final judgement to see if we can deliver within a 2-ish week window.

2) The biggest thing I don’t like is being in the dark. There is no rhyme or reason to how these are coming in. I could get my car today... I could get it in year, maybe I fell through the cracks and will never get it. Tesla has no contact info for an escalation and, while my SA is great and responsive, no one is giving me any REAL info. I don’t even have a made up estimated date range like some people. The lack of information is 100% unacceptable.

3) Since there is no info, I can’t plan accordingly. This day by day anticipation is no fun - I think we have a thread full of people who can relate to that. To add insult to injury there are a bunch of us who sold our cars and are totally overpaying for a rental to fill the gap.

4) Bonus gripe - If I had an ICE car on order, I could buy some time by making ‘vroom, vroom’ sounds while driving around in my rented Corolla. What the heck kind of sounds do I make for an electric car? Sit around in silence? I’m already doing that! Maybe I’ll toss an electric shaver on the passenger seat or something! :D

It was an inventory car that popped up on Tesla’s site. My guess is that they made a few extra in California as they have been popping up on the site. Also I added FSD it wasn’t spec’d that way. But as others have stated it’s jus a flip of a bit

Ah, that makes sense... but then it makes me wonder how a white/black CA inventory car popped up with orders for that spec in? I’d take that cue to be secretly thrilled that maybe that means I have an allocation now and just don’t know it... but I’m afraid that that path will lead to disappointment, so I’m totally not going there. lol

Happy for you, though! Congrats!

2) The biggest thing I don’t like is being in the dark. There is no rhyme or reason to how these are coming in. I could get my car today... I could get it in year, maybe I fell through the cracks and will never get it. Tesla has no contact info for an escalation and, while my SA is great and responsive, no one is giving me any REAL info. I don’t even have a made up estimated date range like some people. The lack of information is 100% unacceptable.
Fair. If this happened or does happen to me, the biggest issued I'd have would be the not knowing. If they told me today it'll be 3 months, I'd be bummed but I can deal with that and wouldn't cancel my order.

1) I knew I would need a car the first week of Dec so I ‘ordered’ the car way ahead in Sep to make sure this would happen. I’m used to ordering cars from a system where the manufacturer assigns you a production slot so the delivery margin is usually pretty small. The SA told me that it wouldn’t be an issue. We’re 1-ish weeks past my target at this point, so holding final judgement to see if we can deliver within a 2-ish week window.

3) Since there is no info, I can’t plan accordingly. This day by day anticipation is no fun - I think we have a thread full of people who can relate to that. To add insult to injury there are a bunch of us who sold our cars and are totally overpaying for a rental to fill the gap.

4) Bonus gripe - If I had an ICE car on order, I could buy some time by making ‘vroom, vroom’ sounds while driving around in my rented Corolla. What the heck kind of sounds do I make for an electric car? Sit around in silence? I’m already doing that! Maybe I’ll toss an electric shaver on the passenger seat or something! :D
omg electric shaver would be epic!!!!

Fair. If this happened or does happen to me, the biggest issued I'd have would be the not knowing. If they told me today it'll be 3 months, I'd be bummed but I can deal with that and wouldn't cancel my order.
I mean, I maybe wouldn't have sold my car and have rushed to complete financing like they told me to if there was any transparency. As @eisenb11 highlights above, the not-knowing, the uncertainty, and the broken promises are all just a lot to bear.

I think Tesla just needs to over estimate and deliver faster. it will always workout better for the company if they are showing longer waits and then the cars is early by a few weeks. having it the way it is now, is just wrong. having people waiting months on end is crazy. but its the norm for Tesla. the real big issues is their is no other car that is even close and they know that. thats the real issue. if you have a car brand that could match Tesla in everything plus give you the amazing service like Lexus gives for example, I would switch. when I had my Lexus I never had one service issue. when they said something was going to be ready it was, if they missed it they had a Lexus loaner ready and sometimes I could pick what loaner I wanted. they would call or text with info and updates daily. Tesla can get there, it just is going to take for another company to match then and start eating into their base for things to really change. however I will be a Tesla owner still because I just like the tech and what the company is about. just hate how they handle customer Service. I wish I could go to them and be like their customer service manager for the sales and delivery side. I have some much experience I feel I could make a huge difference in that area. Granted my SA has been responsive and has really ghosted us at all. which is appreciated.
oh how I can dream.... lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BMCRedMP3
Max gross annual income for 2 people is about $70000 to qualify. This is a cool program that I only now heard about. The program is available to purchase even used EVs and you can also get charging credits if you qualify. I do hope people who qualify are aware this exists!

I own my own business so my personal income qualifies since I pay myself very little, but they took into account my biz income since I am a single owner S-Corp. took them 2-3 month but I can rest easy knowing I didn’t leave free money on the table.

Still eligible for:
$1500 new CA EV credit
$800 rebate from PG&E after purchase
$2000 clean air vehicle rebate after purchase

Just accepted delivery! Near perfect condition. My trunk needs a slight adjustment and my driver seat height won’t raise when occupied. Raises fine when not weighted. Easy fixes and service appointment scheduled for 12/30 along with Homelink install.

Ordered: 12/13
Delivered: 12/14
VIN: 862XXX
White/Black/FSD
That is my exact spec!

Reactions: derichio02

All of this! Look, I put down $5000 last November to get my convertible C8 Corvette from GM. From the moment I went on my dealers list, I knew my place in line and I didn't think that I would get a 2020. The same thing happened to me with my C7. I did not get a 2014, but I had one of the first 2015's on the road.

The difference is on my Corvette I can tell you that I am number 22 on the list for my dealer. I was 25 but a few people ahead of me gave up. I know that my dealer will get about five cars per month that they can configure. I know that I will be able to build my car out in February or March probably. I hope to take delivery by the end of summer.

I have no concern that somebody will order today and get their car before me.

Or compare it to buying my wife's X3 back in 2012. We knew where we were in line, we did a custom order, we had frequent updates texts from the factory and ended up getting a video of the vehicles final moments in production.

Tesla could do any or all of this. The X3, the C7, the C8, our Y, and this refreshed M3P we're all newly designed vehicles that we ordered effectively at launch. There was some disappointment with the delays in getting our Y, but it was not as extreme as with this car.

I appreciate the product and I still want it but even as a stockholder, this process leaves me with a lower opinion of the company. That's not what you want when you're selling somebody a $70,000 vehicle.

* and now, to add insult to injury, I learned that even if I get the vehicle by the end of the year they're going to change the headlights and make it look outdated within a few months. I appreciate continual improvement but I don't think that this approach is sustainable. People want to know that they're getting the latest and greatest and have some control over when they choose to pull the trigger on such a big purchase.

and just got another email from my SA, the free 1 year supercharging is only for *NEW TESLA OWNERS* So if you were expecting that and you already have a Tesla you WILL NOT GET IT. and I just got word that the big shipment coming to DMV area has ZERO PERFORMANCE cars on it. talk about a complete joke. hahah like I said, can't expect anything better from Tesla other than what they are offering. like always.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: adregia
White/white m3 p order date Nov 4, Atlanta delivery. Still no Vin like most of you. Quoted 6-8 weeks at order date so the end of year will mark 8 weeks.

Contacted SA and got nothing they just said wait for your Vin.

Will probably cancel my order if I don't get it by the first week in January. Everyone is right saying communication could be vastly improved.

Reactions: wesgeo
I purchased a Tesla Model 3 Performance in August, refused delivery in September because I heard of the new updates coming. I didn't get any updates from Tesla since then and my rep was MIA this entire time. I decided to go a different route and just purchased an 2021 Audi S5 Sportback. As soon as I signed the finance paperwork, I logged into my Tesla account and cancelled my order. Less than a minute after cancelling, my non existent rep called me to see what is wrong. I really like the Tesla's, but at this point I feel like I'm paying for just the tech, no quality control or customer service. best of luck with your guys orders and I hope they come perfect and you enjoy them!

Reactions: dalton108