Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it was worth a shot! Besides, flying there and picking it up would be the preferred choice! And have a free joy ride 1200-1500 miles back home? That's if it's there or soon to be there of course. You're right about the extra transport which isn't worth it!
maybe, better option I would say. but to do that, it would need to be exactly what I wanted. but thats me. for someone else, it might be a better option to fly and drive back.

Reactions: c4Lvin
Reason I'm not complaining is I am probably one of the latter ones to order this car. And supposedly get it by the end of the year which qualifies for free SC for the 2021 year (yet confirmed with advisor). I'm not complaining since I got $5K off already.

I seriously doubt you are correct. Read more carefully what has been posted. It is a regular misunderstanding of Tesla hub specs because of a chamfer at the join between the hub and rotor hat mounting surface. The performance brake hat is very thin and exposed the chamfer. Which means a straight up 64.1 does not fit. But, it is still a 64.1 hub. Wheels just need to have been designed properly to machine in the chamfer. Otherwise 70.1mm is needed plus a centering ring back down to the 64.1 mm that is really the center bore. The non performance 3s do not have the issue because the one piece rotors have a thicker hat and it covers the chamfer. Look at all of the BBK vendors. They will make a specific point that one of the value adds of their kits is a thick enough rotor hat to hide chamfer and let you use any 64.1mm bore without a problem even if not specifically machined for the Model 3 Performance. For a company shaving every penny it makes no sense for Tesla to use a bigger bore on just 3P and not every vehicle and to force all owners of existing wheels to chuck those wheels if they trade up 3 models.

Every single wheel spec from Tesla 64.1mm
Wheel and Tire Guide for Tesla Vehicles - Unplugged Performance

Last edited:
I seriously doubt you are correct. Read more carefully what has been posted. It is a regular misunderstanding of Tesla hub specs because of a chamfer at the join between the hub and rotor hat mounting surface. The performance brake hat is very thin and exposed the chamfer. Which means a straight up 64.1 does not fit. But, it is still a 64.1 hub. Wheels just need to have been designed properly to machine in the chamfer. Otherwise 71mm is needed plus a centering ring back down to the 64.1 mm that is really the center bore. The non performance 3s do not have the issue because the one piece rotors have a thicker hat and it covers the chamfer. Look at all of the BBK vendors. They will make a specific point that one of the value adds of their kits is a thick enough rotor hat to hide chamfer and let you use any 64.1mm bore without a problem even if not specifically machined for the Model 3 Performance. For a company shaving every penny it makes no sense for Tesla to use a bigger bore on just 3P and not every vehicle and to force all owners of existing wheels to chuck those wheels if they trade up 3 models.

Every single wheel spec from Tesla 64.1mm
Wheel and Tire Guide for Tesla Vehicles - Unplugged Performance

I purchased 71mm rims that were recommended for the M3P by the merchant instead of the 64mm rims. Are you saying I will need a centering ring for my set up? What exactly is a centering ring and where can I purchase them? Thanks.

I purchased 71mm rims that were recommended for the M3P by the merchant instead of the 64mm rims. Are you saying I will need a centering ring for my set up? What exactly is a centering ring and where can I purchase them? Thanks.
That is correct. The centering ring is a ring of metal (preferably) but sometimes hard plastic that bridges the difference in the inside diameter of the wheel bore and the outside diameter of the hub. It usually snaps into the inside of the wheel (usually has some kind of friction fit retaining ring built in) and then you can mount the wheel normally.

Take a look here and the pictures of the hub and the little chamfer/shoulder and a diagram of same and a wheel properly machined to manage it. 64.1mm bore. But the shoulder/chamfer carved out to the wider diameter.

Centering ring would allow a wheel to clear that tiny bit of shoulder and then fit snug to 64.1mm bore once past it.

Here is an aftermarket rotor that the hat is thick enough that the shoulder/chamfer does not get exposed (it means the wheels mount 2.25mm further out from the hub essentially).

Upgrading Brake Rotors on Tesla Model 3 – Tesla Model 3 Wiki

And this will explain the rings more clearly and help you envision how they work.

Look at post 1453 by To3OrNotTo3 of the 2021 Refresh vs 2020 thread. It has pictures of a just delivered Model 3 Performance with the wheel removed. The shoulder/chamfer is clearly visible.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Doggiedog
Ask your wheel vendor to supply the correct rings. Or maybe you can find the correct sizes online on eBay or other auto supply sites for racing/aftermarket/tuner market but it can be challenging to get exactly what you need.

Sorry moderators. We should move this to a separate thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggiedog
@adregia Looking at the Order tracker it seems that there are duplicates of a number of VINs despite having some differing order details, so I am not sure what to make of that. For example:

teslice Springfield NJ USA 11 Nov 2020 12 Dec 2020 Manage order page (normal text) 858,355
jmoorhouse Lone Tree CO USA 23 Oct 2020 12 Dec 2020 Manage order page (normal text) 858,355
Eren_G Marion County FL USA 14 Oct 2020 13 Dec 2020 Manage order page (normal text) 858,355

it appears that if you “x” out any of the digits, the spreadsheet replaces those digits with 5’s.

Reactions: _MSR_
That is correct. The centering ring is a ring of metal (preferably) but sometimes hard plastic that bridges the difference in the inside diameter of the wheel bore and the outside diameter of the hub. It usually snaps into the inside of the wheel (usually has some kind of friction fit retaining ring built in) and then you can mount the wheel normally.

Take a look here and the pictures of the hub and the little chamfer/shoulder and a diagram of same and a wheel properly machined to manage it. 64.1mm bore. But the shoulder/chamfer carved out to the wider diameter.

Centering ring would allow a wheel to clear that tiny bit of shoulder and then fit snug to 64.1mm bore once past it.

Here is an aftermarket rotor that the hat is thick enough that the shoulder/chamfer does not get exposed (it means the wheels mount 2.25mm further out from the hub essentially).

Upgrading Brake Rotors on Tesla Model 3 – Tesla Model 3 Wiki

And this will explain the rings more clearly and help you envision how they work.

Look at post 1453 by To3OrNotTo3 of the 2021 Refresh vs 2020 thread. It has pictures of a just delivered Model 3 Performance with the wheel removed. The shoulder/chamfer is clearly visible.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the off-topic. I drive a BMW now so I've never had to deal with bolts sticking out of the wheel so some of this terminology is alien to me. I understand what to look for. To put this thread back on topic, I received another updated for delivery again today. This morning my delivery was 12/20-12/31. Now it is 12/22-12/28.

Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
Just accepted delivery! Near perfect condition. My trunk needs a slight adjustment and my driver seat height won’t raise when occupied. Raises fine when not weighted. Easy fixes and service appointment scheduled for 12/30 along with Homelink install.

Ordered: 12/13
Delivered: 12/14
VIN: 862XXX
White/Black/FSD
congrats to you... so happy you got your car. however this is ridiculous at this point. really Tesla? freaking one day turn around. hahah well at least you got it. those small issues should be fixed easily!!! just to warn you make sure they fully put your Frunk back in place otherwise you make get some rattles.

Reactions: derichio02