Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worth noting that Tesla has updated the delivery estimates for new orders:

12 weeks for Performance 3's and Y's
12 weeks for all variants of the S and X

They still list standard delivery for the standard 3/Y so it's tough to guess what might be going on. Maybe some major design updates? Maybe some major line shutdowns due to COVID? Maybe some supplier issues? Maybe deferred winter vacations?

The only technical commonality that I know of is that the standard 3/Y are the highest volume models whereas the others have the highest profit margins. Tesla typically prioritizes the high margin products as do most companies, but it may be that a limited supply of parts or staff has forced them to consolidate their focus down to the 2 main production lines despite the lower margins.

My delivery window had just reappeared yesterday, only to disappear again today. Hopefully it’s just system issues and nothing else. I ordered in early Nov, so I’m going to be pretty frustrated if somehow this is pushed into Jan and I miss the supercharging offer.

did you call your SA and find out why that keeps changing ... hope mine dont do that
I did. A little after that post I was told the truck with my car has been stationary for a “while.” Just outside (about an hour) of Houston. He speculated that the driver may have been maxed out on his time, and was resting. *Mark/Mark*
I was told they expected the truck to arrive today, and that it was possible I may even be able to take delivery today, depending on the truck’s arrival time. If not today, definitely tomorrow. I was promised a call back some time today to let me know what was going on.
*Mark/Mark* - I was literally at the *Mark location of typing this when Tesla called me. I was told that the truck has not moved and they don’t know what is going on with it. That hopefully it will deliver overnight or early in the morning, and if so, I should expect to take delivery tomorrow. So we shall see. Fingers crossed!

• Informative
Reactions: Seekayyloo
The 1 week delivery option is only for those who happen to be offered someone else's rejected delivery, no one actually slides a new custom order thru the factory that fast.

Tesla does have a number of major changes coming soon. They announced an unprecedented (and unpaid) shutdown of the entire S/X line as well as a new and significantly different battery design (4680) that will likely roll out in those models soon to replace the ancient 18650 cells. They're already taking preorders for the Model S (Plaid) with these new cells and a significantly updated chassis to accommodate them.

Meanwhile the first 2 gigapresses are now setup in Fremont with 3 more in China and 11 more on the way. These will radically change the frame construction of the model Y and 3. These cars are also expected to transition to the new battery but not soon.

So it's possible that everything is on schedule and going just swimmingly, but their sudden "don't call us, we'll call you" update to most of the in-process orders would suggest otherwise.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cybr.Myk
I did. A little after that post I was told the truck with my car has been stationary for a “while.” Just outside (about an hour) of Houston. He speculated that the driver may have been maxed out on his time, and was resting. *Mark/Mark*
I was told they expected the truck to arrive today, and that it was possible I may even be able to take delivery today, depending on the truck’s arrival time. If not today, definitely tomorrow. I was promised a call back some time today to let me know what was going on.
*Mark/Mark* - I was literally at the *Mark location of typing this when Tesla called me. I was told that the truck has not moved and they don’t know what is going on with it. That hopefully it will deliver overnight or early in the morning, and if so, I should expect to take delivery tomorrow. So we shall see. Fingers crossed!
Hope you can get it tomorrow. Fingers crossed with you

I just called the delivery center to see if they have more insight given my window was 20-31 and now no date at all. They said that in the system it still shows that I am scheduled to take delivery by the 29 and they try to 'match' me to a car. Not sure what that means but I hope for some positive developments next week!

Reactions: Marcavelli650
I just called the delivery center to see if they have more insight given my window was 20-31 and now no date at all. They said that in the system it still shows that I am scheduled to take delivery by the 29 and they try to 'match' me to a car. Not sure what that means but I hope for some positive developments next week!

I've been told that I'm on the priority list to be matched to a car since the end of Nov. :(

Reactions: sdowens1026
I don’t understand how I got lucky and ordered later than some but still ended up with a delivery date (22nd at Tysons). I can’t seem to find any common threads as to why mine came before others based on the spreadsheet.

The other thing that would be nice is if once you were VIN matched (assuming that is final), if they showed an approximate or delayed GPS location of your car on your account page. Seems like it would prevent a bunch of calls and lookups by employees as to where your car is. That can’t be more than a few lines of code...

it’s going to be a long 40 hours before my appointment and my silent withdrawal from the waiting room (fingers crossed)

Reactions: sdowens1026
I also had my delivery date range disappear after being recently updated to 12/19-12/31. I don’t mind waiting but it’s hard to arrange anything when we have no clue if it’ll be the 26th, 31st, next year, etc.

I did change the delivery center from Marina Del Rey to Burbank a few weeks ago and saw someone took delivery in Marina Del Rey that ordered after most in this thread but seems like a one off.

If I don’t have a definitive confirmation that the car will be delivered by year end in the next few days I’m canceling and getting something else.

I also had my delivery date range disappear after being recently updated to 12/19-12/31. I don’t mind waiting but it’s hard to arrange anything when we have no clue if it’ll be the 26th, 31st, next year, etc.

I did change the delivery center from Marina Del Rey to Burbank a few weeks ago and saw someone took delivery in Marina Del Rey that ordered after most in this thread but seems like a one off.

If I don’t have a definitive confirmation that the car will be delivered by year end in the next few days I’m canceling and getting something else.
im not trying to convince you, however this is normal for California folks to be very last min with vin assignment and delivery. I had actually tried to canceled my order then the next morning I had a VIN. but again, there is 11 days left and with you living in Cali and the factory being in cali its much easier to get the cars to you guys vs on another coast. if you were on the east coast like me, I would say if you dont have vin by now its unlikely to get the car before years end. unless the car is already in route. I say I would wait a little longer. but if not im sure you can fine something else. also check for demo cars as well as you can take delivery of those almost immediately in some cases.

Reactions: c4Lvin