Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to follow up on this. Tesla did fix the passenger side fender issue a week later after taking delivery. It only took them an hour to do so.

On the lot. Going to pickup my blue/black M3P in two hours and noticed it has the same issue as a few others have reported. The passenger side fender sticks out at the top. Has anyone gotten this fixed yet?

It’s not as bad as one I saw delivered near Boulder. Definitely getting this in writing to be fixed. Everything else looks good so far.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I don't think it's the cold. I just think it's realistic. You will usually see less than the EPA range with real world driving. The EPA range number is not 100% accurate by any means. I for one have never seen it on my car and don't know anyone that does that doesn't drive like a grandpa

Basically, whenever you see the EPA range number for any EV, subtract ~20 miles off of it

If you look up how the EPA achieves the range in their "tests", unless you drive like them (unrealistic) your car will never see that range.

275 is good on a Performance with 20's and heavy rims

I've only driven it 120 miles so far and swapped to 18" rims with snow tires. They are definitely lighter than the 20" rims. I've only charged it twice and for maybe 5 hours total. I'm wondering if there is some adjustment period or if 275 is about what to expect on a 90% charge.

. I'm wondering if there is some adjustment period or if 275 is about what to expect on a 90% charge.

No there is no adjustment period. The car does not care what wheels and tires you have installed. The range display next to the battery icon (not the energy screen) has nothing to do with past consumption.

The only adjustment that can occur is revisions of BMS estimates of available energy. This can change (slightly) if you charge to 100%, if it’s chilly, if you fully discharge and then recharge, if your battery degrades, etc.

But it has nothing to do with driving style or baseline consumption due to equipment changes. It’s not an estimate of distance - it is an estimate of ENERGY.

That’s the last I will say about this here, as it is rigorously covered in multiple sticky threads in the battery forum. I suggest for more details on this, that that be discussed there.

I just commented above to provide information to new owners and prospective owners on available capacity on the Performance, based on what we know. And the exact method to determine exactly how much energy your BMS thinks your battery has is linked to clearly just above, for anyone wondering (as mentioned, it is a procedure I would recommend to anyone picking up the car, to conduct before signing for the vehicle, if you know how to use the procedure and understand ALL the caveats). No reason to take the small risk of accepting a vehicle well outside the normal distribution. Just understand the caveats. Winter and cold makes it difficult to assess properly. For Californians it should be no issue though.

Last edited:
Me too. I'm livid. I tried calling the number that sent me the text saying car was going to be delayed.(a 510 area code) but it said it was disconnected.

I plan on contacting the California Department of Consumer Affairs, the CA DMV and any other state or federal agency that helps consumers.
I also plan on telling my story on every social media platform I can
and also contacting any media outlet to see if they want to pick up the story.

You cannot assign a specific car with a specific VIN to someone, have them pay the full balance, then renege on the deal

M3P Red/Black FSD ordered 10/22 - 10 weeks ago - estimate at the time said 5-9 weeks
12/29 vin assigned 879XXX
12/29 paid in full $70K via Plaid
12/29 Delivery scheduled for 12/31 5pm at delivery center
12/30 9pm text from 510-241-4178 saying car will be delivered in "first few months of 23021" - VIN still showing Tesla My account page
12/31 Email and called delivery center multiple times left messages
12/31 Sales advisor called said they would find out what happened and call me back
1/1/2021 crickets

Hi everyone. Sorry it's taken so long but I did get remediation from Tesla on my car. After sending a scathing email 1/2/21 to my SA and the Delivery Center main address similar to what I wrote above, someone called me back within three hours.
They said that the car with my VIN was in fact built... in white instead of red, was sitting at the Fremont factory and that if I want they could have it delivered for pickup in a few days. So the choice was take the white one will all the other features I had wanted or wait the 2-3 months and go through this all again. As you can tell I took the car. White would have been my second choice and will prove a good choice for Sacramento 95F-110F summers. I lost out on the year of free supercharging but saved $2000 on the red. Picked up 1/4. Door sticker says built in 12/2020

Informal poll. Do you think my VIN being built in white was:
a) because they accidentally built my car in white and then had to pull back the VIN from my order, or
b) they had some extras in white already built and quickly slapped my original vin to placate me, or
c) built one quickly after the first of the year and applied my original vin

Oh, I am having trouble finding flaws. Nothing seems severely misaligned, though there are large areas of orange peel when the paint is viewed from certain angles in certain light. I love it already
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg

My first Tesla - and I love it. Picked yesterday. Black on white. Can someone confirm if they notice significant wind noise/sound in the car? Again coming from an Audi this may be normal and I am just adjusting. It is not loud in a way I cant talk on phone or listen to music but I can def notice it. Not sure if this warrant a service appointment or no?

Hi everyone. Sorry it's taken so long but I did get remediation from Tesla on my car. After sending a scathing email 1/2/21 to my SA and the Delivery Center main address similar to what I wrote above, someone called me back within three hours.
They said that the car with my VIN was in fact built... in white instead of red, was sitting at the Fremont factory and that if I want they could have it delivered for pickup in a few days. So the choice was take the white one will all the other features I had wanted or wait the 2-3 months and go through this all again. As you can tell I took the car. White would have been my second choice and will prove a good choice for Sacramento 95F-110F summers. I lost out on the year of free supercharging but saved $2000 on the red. Picked up 1/4. Door sticker says built in 12/2020

Informal poll. Do you think my VIN being built in white was:
a) because they accidentally built my car in white and then had to pull back the VIN from my order, or
b) they had some extras in white already built and quickly slapped my original vin to placate me, or
c) built one quickly after the first of the year and applied my original vin

Oh, I am having trouble finding flaws. Nothing seems severely misaligned, though there are large areas of orange peel when the paint is viewed from certain angles in certain light. I love it already
View attachment 625726 View attachment 625727

I am going to go with B :D

Did you pick up from Fremont? I think I may have saw this car. There were two white M3P in the lot and this one was the first one I walked up to.

My first Tesla - and I love it. Picked yesterday. Black on white. Can someone confirm if they notice significant wind noise/sound in the car? Again coming from an Audi this may be normal and I am just adjusting. It is not loud in a way I cant talk on phone or listen to music but I can def notice it. Not sure if this warrant a service appointment or no?

Not for me. It feels pretty quiet, but I am used to louder cars. Also, I think due to aero dynamics, this is one of the best cars to drive with windows down. Very little wind noise.

Reactions: royinla
I am going to go with B :D

Did you pick up from Fremont? I think I may have saw this car. There were two white M3P in the lot and this one was the first one I walked up to.
Could be, what day did you see it? I picked up in Rocklin near Sacramento 1/4. My SA has been good overall. Was good about getting back to me except on the crazy 12/31 and their closed (I think) 1/1. The problem is corporate which switches around cars destined for true customers to make arbitrary sales goal. Is 497K that much different from 499,550? But you end up severely pissing off thousands.

Oh, by way of numbers, I asked and Rocklin delivered 217 cars in one location on 12/31. The day I picked up, I was the last of the 15 cars delivered that day.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
One thing. Thanks to everyone on this thread. Just knowing more people were in the same boat and all the trials and stories did help to know I was not alone.

Good luck to all you who haven't yet received yours. Its worth the wait.

For those in California if you truly feel you been jerked around you can threaten fraud complaint with the DMV as I did. If I hadn't I am sure I would still be waiting. The DMV complaint form 172a is here.

I lost out on the year of free supercharging but saved $2000 on the red.
With all the crap they put you through, the good will of a year's worth of free supercharging would have been very cheap to for them to do. They are literally stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Just imagine how well Tesla would be doing if they could add good (and competent) customer service to their list of accomplishments.

With all the crap they put you through, the good will of a year's worth of free supercharging would have been very cheap to for them to do. They are literally stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Just imagine how well Tesla would be doing if they could add good (and competent) customer service to their list of accomplishments.

so true. Especially people who were encouraged to place an order to get the incentive, and then due to Tesla’s fault was not able to take delivery by year end.

View attachment 625855 Got my 18x9 Enkei wheels today

Nice and light, 19.1 pounds

Too bad I don’t have a Model 3 Performance to put them on...

Ordered M3P 11/7, Las Vegas Nevada, now waiting until March

sorry to hear! Those wheels look good. I remember they were real popular on the JDM cars, but its giving me ideas.

Coming from a 911 with sport exhaust... the thing is whisper quiet! Not much wind noise driving local (mostly road noise in this case), some on the highway, but seems pretty light. Main source of noise seems to be some rattles (sounds like it's from the glass parts - windows & panoramic roof) when the road gets a little bumpy.

No there is no adjustment period. The car does not care what wheels and tires you have installed. The range display next to the battery icon (not the energy screen) has nothing to do with past consumption.

The only adjustment that can occur is revisions of BMS estimates of available energy. This can change (slightly) if you charge to 100%, if it’s chilly, if you fully discharge and then recharge, if your battery degrades, etc.

But it has nothing to do with driving style or baseline consumption due to equipment changes. It’s not an estimate of distance - it is an estimate of ENERGY.

That’s the last I will say about this here, as it is rigorously covered in multiple sticky threads in the battery forum. I suggest for more details on this, that that be discussed there.

I just commented above to provide information to new owners and prospective owners on available capacity on the Performance, based on what we know. And the exact method to determine exactly how much energy your BMS thinks your battery has is linked to clearly just above, for anyone wondering (as mentioned, it is a procedure I would recommend to anyone picking up the car, to conduct before signing for the vehicle, if you know how to use the procedure and understand ALL the caveats). No reason to take the small risk of accepting a vehicle well outside the normal distribution. Just understand the caveats. Winter and cold makes it difficult to assess properly. For Californians it should be no issue though.

Can now confirm nominal 82kWh battery. But still only showing 310 miles of topped of range. I'm sure software will deal with that.

Attachments

• 8537BBF6-4905-4448-80C4-E01D644A904D.jpeg
    8537BBF6-4905-4448-80C4-E01D644A904D.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 3DDA5CE7-07CD-40C0-9155-4FAEE320BA7E.png
    3DDA5CE7-07CD-40C0-9155-4FAEE320BA7E.png
    378.2 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does anyone know if there is a huge difference between a model y performance and a model 3 performance in terms of speed and feel of the drive?

I test drove a model y performance and was not impressed and I didn’t feel that the extra money for performance was worth it, not even close. This is making me reconsider taking delivery of my performance 3 - instead might just use that extra 8k to get a model s or a LR model 3.

You are paying for the better brakes, track mode and carbon fibre bits/bigger wheels and to say you have the “top dog”. There really isn’t that much difference in terms of acceleration between the performance and the LR, at least in terms of sensation.

Pulled out the "Love" rating for that one, as there's just too much mystery in the whole Tesla battery thing. IMO, Tesla hasn't done a very good job of communicating exactly what the different numbers mean.

Fortunately, the members here on TMC have done a fantastic job of filling in the gaps; whether it's just a basic run through of what it all means, down to the real nitty gritty.

New owners would definitely be ahead of the game to spend from a few minutes to a few hours browsing through the stickied battery information threads. It would be highly unusual for anyone at this point to come up with a question that hasn't been answered at least once in those threads.