Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021/2022 Model X Owners Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, after 9 horrible days of joke (err yoke) driving, my Hansshow wheel arrived today. I am SO happy. I can finally drive my car like a car. Went out and ran some errands and the wheel "just works." I don't have to think about what I'm doing, constantly looking inside the car to figure out where to grab vs looking outside where the obstacles are. I can be making a turn, looking outside, and as a I reach may hand it contacts the wheel. I'd like to add the 3/Y stalks when Ryan Huber gets that going but at least with a wheel I can wait.
PXL_20220516_181348685.jpg

Well, after 9 horrible days of joke (err yoke) driving, my Hansshow wheel arrived today. I am SO happy. I can finally drive my car like a car. Went out and ran some errands and the wheel "just works." I don't have to think about what I'm doing, constantly looking inside the car to figure out where to grab vs looking outside where the obstacles are. I can be making a turn, looking outside, and as a I reach may hand it contacts the wheel. I'd like to add the 3/Y stalks when Ryan Huber gets that going but at least with a wheel I can wait.
View attachment 805164

That actually looks really good.. Not like those other horrific looking ones I have seen online where they just add a top to the squared off yoke.

I've personally gotten so used to the yoke that now a regular wheel seems boring and uncool to me lol. But it's all about personal taste.

View attachment 805164
It looks really good. That's the one I'm planning to get for mine. Just curious, do you have a center press horn yet? Is that actually a thing? Or is it just the button still.

datapoint: When I first got my refreshed S with yoke after a couple days I was quite convinced that I would replace the yoke with a wheel asap. Then after a few weeks I got used to it. Now we also have a refreshed X and all are happy with the yoke. going back to the old S and 3 with a wheel feels fine but the yoke does now too. And even for most driving (not parking) being able to lever the wheel around by pushing on the corners instead of having to grip the wheel is actually better.

Before swapping it out, see if you can retrain your muscle memory and you might be surprised to find that you actually prefer it.

Reactions: henderrj
It looks really good. That's the one I'm planning to get for mine. Just curious, do you have a center press horn yet? Is that actually a thing? Or is it just the button still.
I really like it.

Horn is still just the button. We only have Elon's tweet that center horn will be "enabled via software update". All of the guts from your yoke move over to the Hansshow wheel so if Elon is correct and all S/X after whatever the date was have the hardware then it will work w/ the Hansshow once the software is updated.

Whatever it is must be inside the airbag module itself as there is nothing behind it that is wired and could act like a switch in the yoke itself.

Here's a full picture - I hadn't realized I cut off the bottom in the other one.
PXL_20220517_224046885.jpg

datapoint: When I first got my refreshed S with yoke after a couple days I was quite convinced that I would replace the yoke with a wheel asap. Then after a few weeks I got used to it. Now we also have a refreshed X and all are happy with the yoke. going back to the old S and 3 with a wheel feels fine but the yoke does now too. And even for most driving (not parking) being able to lever the wheel around by pushing on the corners instead of having to grip the wheel is actually better.

Before swapping it out, see if you can retrain your muscle memory and you might be surprised to find that you actually prefer it.
I disagree. You said it yourself. You "got used to it." The yoke is a solution in search of a problem. It provides zero benefit while requiring new learning. One should not have to think about a primary control. It is only there because Elon has the mentality of an 11-year-old boy and he thinks it's cool. IMO, you have convinced yourself that the yoke is better, not that it actually is.

I wish that Tesla would have given us the option but in this case the aftermarket has been able to step in and solve the problem. So we have options and everyone is free to modify their car (or not) as they wish.

On my 2020 MX I always thought the window motors were a bit slow/under-powered and the steering felt notably heavier than the S. I preferred the feel of the S better. Does anyone have a comparison between the refresh and a 2020 X on these little details? I'd assume jumping to 16v helps with the windows, at least.

I disagree. You said it yourself. You "got used to it." The yoke is a solution in search of a problem. It provides zero benefit while requiring new learning. One should not have to think about a primary control. It is only there because Elon has the mentality of an 11-year-old boy and he thinks it's cool. IMO, you have convinced yourself that the yoke is better, not that it actually is.

I wish that Tesla would have given us the option but in this case the aftermarket has been able to step in and solve the problem. So we have options and everyone is free to modify their car (or not) as they wish.
I had a 2019 MX loaner for 10 days when my refresh computer got changed and I didn’t like going back to the wheel mainly bc it blocked my view but also bc as another post pointed out, I find the yoke so easy to turn using the upper/outer leverage points. There are some alleged moments when I want to activate a blinker and the wheel is turned but the solution to that is either color code then or buy an L and R next to them, not to get rid of the yoke…

Shrug.. I got used to coffee too and now I like it. I didn't like coffee at first.

Some people will never think that coffee is good. Some people will never think the yoke is good. Some people will never think that EVs are good..

Hello All,

Has anyone with the new/ refreshed Model X noticed shudder/ vibration? Apparently it seems to be a pretty wide spread issue with pre-refresh Model Xs.

Appreciate your feedback. I am waiting for my refreshed MXLR: estimated delivery is March.
The steering wheel intentionally shudders when it's warning about you veering out of the lane. Other than that, freaky smooth, even at full launch, even as Plaid is roaring(quietly and easily ;-) like a lion past 130mph. Mine was just delivered last weekend so maybe that issue has been fixed recently?

The steering wheel intentionally shudders when it's warning about you veering out of the lane. Other than that, freaky smooth, even at full launch, even as Plaid is roaring(quietly and easily ;-) like a lion past 130mph. Mine was just delivered last weekend so maybe that issue has been fixed recently?
It takes awhile for the issue to show up. Between 2,000 and 20,000 miles for most, depending on the number of launches, what suspension you typically ride in, etc.

But unless they have redesigned the driveshaft, it’s going to reoccur I think. I just wish someone would take the new X to a certified shop so we could figure it out.

Good write up of the issue here: Eliminate Inner Tire & Premature Half-Shaft Wear On Tesla X/S!

Shrug.. I got used to coffee too and now I like it. I didn't like coffee at first.

Some people will never think that coffee is good. Some people will never think the yoke is good. Some people will never think that EVs are good..

I hated coffee.... Until I had kids and was dozing off at work lol.... it went from being a necessity to actually started liking the taste. I still try to only drink it when it's necessary and not for leisure so I don't become dependent on it though.

Well, to take your (a bit tortured IMO) analogy further, then why make coffee the only option? Some people like tea, others Red Bull. Yet since Elon thinks coffee is cool, then everyone has to drink it?

Tesla has a round wheel (and stalks) that plug into the S/X column. It would be trivial to make it an option - heck they could make it an SC-installed option to minimize impact on the factory.

Anyway, the aftermarket has stepped in so I am fine for now. I hope Ryan Huber is able to productize or release his stalk mod to complete the package.

Well, to take your (a bit tortured IMO) analogy further, then why make coffee the only option? Some people like tea, others Red Bull. Yet since Elon thinks coffee is cool, then everyone has to drink it?

Tesla has a round wheel (and stalks) that plug into the S/X column. It would be trivial to make it an option - heck they could make it an SC-installed option to minimize impact on the factory.

Anyway, the aftermarket has stepped in so I am fine for now. I hope Ryan Huber is able to productize or release his stalk mod to complete the package.
The analogies were carefully chosen. People who claim to not like coffee, or EVs, or now the yoke, just need to be more open in their lives and try new things and give them a chance.

Apple didn't give in to early complaints and offer a blackberry keyboard option and they did ok

I think it depends on on whether the door thinks it has enough clearance which might include whether you are standing well away from the door.
Ok got it .. so if I approach from behind and there is nothing to the side of the car it should open all the way in one motion vs perhaps if I approach from the front close to the car it may just pop open a few inches at first … I’ll have to try that out … Ty!

Reactions: bhzmark
Ok got it .. so if I approach from behind and there is nothing to the side of the car it should open all the way in one motion vs perhaps if I approach from the front close to the car it may just pop open a few inches at first … I’ll have to try that out … Ty!
I think you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how it works, in my experience.

Reactions: bhzmark