Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021/2022 Model X Owners Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok got it .. so if I approach from behind and there is nothing to the side of the car it should open all the way in one motion vs perhaps if I approach from the front close to the car it may just pop open a few inches at first … I’ll have to try that out … Ty!
The side facing sensor is in the Falcon Wing Door (controls both), so if you are standing by FW, you might be the obstacle in the way.

The analogies were carefully chosen. People who claim to not like coffee, or EVs, or now the yoke, just need to be more open in their lives and try new things and give them a chance.

Apple didn't give in to early complaints and offer a blackberry keyboard option and they did ok
The iPhone offered compelling benefits for people to switch from BBY. The virtual keyboard was something everyone had to get used to in order to enjoy the benefits of the iPhone. In the case of the yoke, there are no benefits. It is different purely for the sake of being different. As I said earlier, I have driven a Model S for 10 years and have never had a visibility problem. I likewise do not have a visibility problem in my Model X with the Hansshow wheel. Granted, I am an average american male when it comes to height and inseam so it could be that I am the right geometry (though being average means there are a lot of us).

I did give it a chance. I drove it for a week in a variety of scenarios. It was cumbersome. Could I have gotten used to it? Yes. But I would rather spend that energy on something that would be a benefit to me vs overcoming something negative to me.

At the end of the day, Tesla should have just given people the option. They didn't and the aftermarket stepped in.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Well, after 9 horrible days of joke (err yoke) driving, my Hansshow wheel arrived today. I am SO happy. I can finally drive my car like a car. Went out and ran some errands and the wheel "just works." I don't have to think about what I'm doing, constantly looking inside the car to figure out where to grab vs looking outside where the obstacles are. I can be making a turn, looking outside, and as a I reach may hand it contacts the wheel. I'd like to add the 3/Y stalks when Ryan Huber gets that going but at least with a wheel I can wait.
View attachment 805164
looks nice but would this void the warranty of the car?

No warranty is fine except for whatever you might screw up in changing the yoke.

But I recommend give yourself more than 9 days to get used to it and see the benefits. It's especially helpful if you can exclusively drive the yoke for a few weeks or few months, and then try a wheel and you will say " what the f is this? I don't want to grip and grip and shuffle, I just want to push on the corners -- so much simpler and easier."

No. It is an OEM Tesla yoke, just with extra bits added.
But I recommend give yourself more than 9 days to get used to it and see the benefits. It's especially helpful if you can exclusively drive the yoke for a few weeks or few months, and then try a wheel and you will say " what the f is this? I don't want to grip and grip and shuffle, I just want to push on the corners -- so much simpler and easier."
The problem I had was when making turns that required more than a 90 degree turn of the yoke. With a wheel, my other hand can take over the turning at a convenient location. With the yoke, it cannot. You end up with one arm across your chest. Then the other arm has to reach up to the same point and take over. It's also very difficult to smoothly let the wheel self-center as you are exiting the turn. With a wheel I can keep my hands in the optimum position and vary the speed of unwinding the turn based on hand pressure. I was unable to do this smoothly with the yoke as you have to swing your arm around to follow as the car exits the turn.

Have you ever watched rally racing? That is much closer to how we drive than F1 and every rally car I've ever seen uses a wheel. I do not believe they are forced to use a wheel so if there was an advantage to using a yoke, they would have done it.

If the yoke helps you feel like Schumacher or Knight Rider and it makes you happy, by all means, be happy. But stop trying to ascribe benefits to it. It's not better, it's just different.

I saw a thread earlier discussing the range of the Model X being "dynamic" in nature and wanted to ask this owner forum, what the 100% range is on your new X? (By the way, I've had my LR since late December 2021).

I get a range of 314-315 miles on 100% charge. For 90% charge, I get around 285 miles. I don't drive it like I stole it, but I do have the 22 in wheels. I'm curious what the folks with the Plaid models are getting?

Reason I ask is when I was adding my X to insurance (Late December), the insurance company mentioned that I was driving the "performance" version of the vehicle. I told them it was a LR to which they disagreed (I still added the vehicle, but figured I would give it a little time for VIN database to update).

Back then, I checked my max range and it was 311 miles -- coincidentally the same advertised max range of the Model X Plaid (before the sales site was updated).

So now I'm wondering, why are we not getting nowhere near the range of ~340 miles on our LRs?

(FYI - Car still rocks, but I'm concerned about range for long-distance trips)
The iPhone offered compelling benefits for people to switch from BBY. The virtual keyboard was something everyone had to get used to in order to enjoy the benefits of the iPhone. In the case of the yoke, there are no benefits. It is different purely for the sake of being different. As I said earlier, I have driven a Model S for 10 years and have never had a visibility problem. I likewise do not have a visibility problem in my Model X with the Hansshow wheel. Granted, I am an average american male when it comes to height and inseam so it could be that I am the right geometry (though being average means there are a lot of us).

I did give it a chance. I drove it for a week in a variety of scenarios. It was cumbersome. Could I have gotten used to it? Yes. But I would rather spend that energy on something that would be a benefit to me vs overcoming something negative to me.

At the end of the day, Tesla should have just given people the option. They didn't and the aftermarket stepped in.
Changing the yoke setting from sport to comfort was a sea change in how I feel about the yoke. On my 2018 X, I kept that setting on sport, and assumed the same should be the case for Plaid. But the subsequent snap back recoils and knuckle pops were extremely annoying. Since I finally figured it out and switched yoke setting to comfort, my beloved X showed back up and better than ever. The effortlessness of some of the moves of the yoke are extremely satisfying, as well as the angle of the arm when making turns. I have another setting for Sport, when tuning up fools on the highway. I'll never go back to a round wheel.

Reactions: bhzmark
a wheel, my other hand can take over the turning at a convenient location. With the yoke, it cannot.
It can you just need practice to figure it out and you can pass from hand-to-hand on those occasions when you are turning the wheel more. Or or sometimes especially when parking you might find it convenient to just Palm the whole wheel at the corner
the wheel self-center as you are exiting the turn.
This was exactly my big complaint when I was 1st driving the yoke I even have multiple posts complaining about exactly this point and going into fantastic detail on how superior it was to hold my hand at 1 location and let the wheel unwind under the grip of my hand I went on at about 10 times the length you did stating my case.. I got more experience and I changed my mind
Have you ever watched rally racing?
Also when I was hating on the yoke I posted videos of race car drivers especially drifting experts using a round wheel to great advantage to manipulate the car. I had multiple posts, more than you, with links to videos showing the superiority of the wheel.

And then i drove it more, and realized i was wrong.
If the yoke helps you feel like Schumacher or Knight Rider

If making lame insults helps you imagine that you won an argument, go ahead.
But stop trying to ascribe benefits to it. It's not better, it's just different.

I have 4 teslas in the broader household car pool two with yokes. I now prefer the yoke (although I also prefer the car the yoke is attached to in each case).

I even had a pre order for a replacement wheel before they were even out. But then I simply began to rewire the muscle memory and dialed up the neuroplasticity and now find myself preferring it. Others have a similar experience.

new buyers should be encouraged to give the yoke,and their own neuroplasticity a chance.

And I suggest moving the yoke discussion here where I previously posted at length disliking the yoke.
Search results

Last edited:
Thank you in advance for answering some car seat questions for any 7 seat owners -

Is the 3rd row accessible at all if a car seat is in the middle seat of the 2nd row?

Can you thether a seat installed in the middle seat of the second row?

Thank you for this. Have a 5 seat on order that we are now debating switching to a 7 seat.
Thanks!

No. It is an OEM Tesla yoke, just with extra bits added.

The problem I had was when making turns that required more than a 90 degree turn of the yoke. With a wheel, my other hand can take over the turning at a convenient location. With the yoke, it cannot. You end up with one arm across your chest. Then the other arm has to reach up to the same point and take over. It's also very difficult to smoothly let the wheel self-center as you are exiting the turn. With a wheel I can keep my hands in the optimum position and vary the speed of unwinding the turn based on hand pressure. I was unable to do this smoothly with the yoke as you have to swing your arm around to follow as the car exits the turn.

Have you ever watched rally racing? That is much closer to how we drive than F1 and every rally car I've ever seen uses a wheel. I do not believe they are forced to use a wheel so if there was an advantage to using a yoke, they would have done it.

If the yoke helps you feel like Schumacher or Knight Rider and it makes you happy, by all means, be happy. But stop trying to ascribe benefits to it. It's not better, it's just different.

The yoke only really makes sense for a street car if the steering ratio is variable based on speed. The Lexus yoke works because it's steer by wire. That said, I've gotten used to it and even like it. But the way I'm steering at slow speed(i.e. tight turns, multi-poin, etc), is to use a single finger on the left or right top hook and just spinning the yoke continuously for as much as I need to turn it. No hand over hand any more for me.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I have a 2018 Model X, and just installed a yoke. I know - many of you think I'm nuts. But I wanted to experience it. BTW - I totally agree that Tesla should offer either as an option.

Very off-putting at first. It's fighting against every instinct and element of muscle memory you have built up over decades. I set the steering mode to "Comfortable", as suggested above, and have stuck with it for several days. I'm actually adapting pretty quickly. There are some types of turns that are very different (like the 90 degree+ turns addressed above), but there are some other kinds of maneuvers that are actually easier. I can still return the yoke, but so far I LOVE the visibility over the top, and I'm slowly getting used to it.

Is this sort of distortion around the edges of the display normal?

1654218389427.png

On the sides, it makes it almost impossible to see the cruise control speed during the day.

1654218439222.png

I already submitted a service request, just seeing if it's normal or not from other owners.

Last edited:
Is this sort of distortion around the edges of the display normal?

View attachment 811974

On the sides, it makes it almost impossible to see the cruise control speed during the day.

View attachment 811975

I already submitted a service request, just seeing if it's normal or not from other owners.
Is there a protective film tape? Mine came with a clear tape wrapped around the top and sides of the display. They did not remove it during prep and I ended up pulling it off.