Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021/2022 Model X Owners Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A4917F55-EA58-4EB2-98AF-B0E1615EFCC6.jpeg

Minor issue the kids discovered as soon as they got in lol (kids have a way of finding stuff!)

It wasn’t broken. The faux leather was, I think, getting in the way of the plastic trim hooks snapping into their sockets.

I folded the leather back and snapped the trim in. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wish the touch pad to open/close the door on the inside door handle was an actual button like the lower models instead of a touch sensitive pad. With no feedback I am always having to check if the door closed behind me as I exit and tap it.
Agreed, that door button plus the turn signal actuators we’re always a hit, wait that didn’t work, ok now hit and press again thing. Though i have found the longer i use it the more sure it is now finally getting, or maybe i’m getting better at hitting it properly.

i’m even starting to find the tiny horn button quickly when i want to send a ‘message’.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Agreed, that door button plus the turn signal actuators we’re always a hit, wait that didn’t work, ok now hit and press again thing. Though i have found the longer i use it the more sure it is now finally getting, or maybe i’m getting better at hitting it properly.

i’m even starting to find the tiny horn button quickly when i want to send a ‘message’.
If you punch multiple buttons on the right side at the same time the horn will sound. Elon Musk on Twitter:
And they are supposed to ship a press the center to honk update for cars made since Nov/Dec of 2021.

• Funny
Reactions: strider
Pretty sure you cannot rotate your tires on the MX anyway. The tire sizes are slightly different between front and rear so they cannot be moved forward or back, and the tires themselves are directional, so cannot be moved side to side. At least this is the case on my MXP with 22" rims.
My stock Latitude Sport 3s are not directional. You can swap them left to right and you should.

Reactions: timberlights
View attachment 818327
First road trip with the whole fam!
Had fun with straight on-ramps. 😉

Won’t that exceed the tongue weight? It’s one thing to have a heavy trailer tongue which is pushing straight down which does not apply any rotational torque to the receiver while a something like this will provide potentially thousands of ft-lbs of torque to the receiver when going over bumps.

Reactions: John in LB
Bit the bullet and got 3M Crystalline 20% tints on my front windows. Wanted to match the rear factory tints.

Gotta admit I'm not in love with the tint - looks great from the outside, but from the inside theres a brown/bronze hue to the tint. Really happy with quality of install, just not the coloring. Anyone else tint front windows? What brand/tint level did you get?

Looking at another shop that offers XPEL Prime tints, which allegedly have more of a gray/blue/black coloring to them.

Reactions: Siraug
If you punch multiple buttons on the right side at the same time the horn will sound. Elon Musk on Twitter:
And they are supposed to ship a press the center to honk update for cars made since Nov/Dec of 2021.
More of Elon's lies. And yes, I use the word lie purposefully.

If you mash the right side of the yoke, you will get the horn. But you will also activate the wipers, AP, and voice command. There is no feature that causes only the horn to activate on a mash of the right side of the yoke. You simply get all of the buttons at once and that happens to honk the horn.

Elon says that there is hardware to support airbag horn. I examined the inside of the yoke and the airbag when I installed my Hansshow wheel and did not see any mechanism to do this. Of course I am not an automotive engineer so I certainly could have not known what to look for. However, the software isn't there to do it so once again this will be relegated to the long list of things Elon promises and never delivers.

If you mash the right side of the yoke, you will get the horn. But you will also activate the wipers, AP, and voice command. There is no feature that causes only the horn to activate on a mash of the right side of the yoke. You simply get all of the buttons at once and that happens to honk the horn.

Elon says that there is hardware to support airbag horn. I examined the inside of the yoke and the airbag when I installed my Hansshow wheel and did not see any mechanism to do this. Of course I am not an automotive engineer so I certainly could have not known what to look for. However, the software isn't there to do it so once again this will be relegated to the long list of things Elon promises and never delivers.
Yeah I kind of figured this... Usually on cars with the horn in the middle there is a little bit of give when you mash it which activates it... On the Yoke its very rigid and there is no give at all when you press on it.... After noticing this I pretty much gave up on expecting this feature.... I'm sure it will never be mentioned again and kind of be swept under the rug along with so many other things that are promised.

Reactions: strider

Odd. I’ve used the horn a half dozen times and it hasn’t activated any of the buttons individually. Still, I’m glad all of our Yokes after November have the airbag horn. They sure seem to be taking their time though.

Odd. I’ve used the horn a half dozen times and it hasn’t activated any of the buttons individually. Still, I’m glad all of our Yokes after November have the airbag horn. They sure seem to be taking their time though.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the cars DO NOT have the airbag horn installed and this was a false promise or outright lie by Elon.

To be clear, if I press only the horn button I only get the horn. Are you saying that if you palm the right side of the yoke (as instructed by Elon in the above-linked tweet) you only get the horn and not the rest of the buttons?
I assumed it was a feature which has not yet been enabled on the cars made after November, but they had the required hardware.
That is what Elon said. But after living through 12 years of "Elon said" I won't hold my breath.

So once you are notified about a software update, you are going to constantly have to dismiss the software update window which pops up often?

Unless you hit schedule, in which case you don’t get to schedule it. It schedules for that night. You can change the time, but not the day.

I was hoping there was a way to hold off a software update until a more convenient day (other than leaving Sentry Mode on all the time).

Anyway we have the new 22.16.1.2 version now.
Yes. Tesla really wants everyone to update so they make it as annoying as possible. There is no "remind me tomorrow" or next week, or whatever. I have been burned by Tesla software updates before so I typically wait until a few reports here on TMC that it's ok before I push the button. It is annoying to have to deal with it at the beginning and end of every drive.

Model X Front Plate holder:

We were given the wrong front plate holder at delivery (for Model Y instead). This was a stick on, which was what we wanted, but of course does not fit.

We swung by Tesla service during a trip, and we were give a bolt on version from 2019. We were told that only Models 3 and Y had stick on front plate holders. They scheduled Tesla mobile service to mount it for us.

Returning home DH found a part number for a stick on front plate holder in the Tesla parts catalog for Model X 2021+. So it appears they do exist.

How on earth do we get one of these?!? That's what we should have been given in the first place.

To be clear, if I press only the horn button I only get the horn. Are you saying that if you palm the right side of the yoke (as instructed by Elon in the above-linked tweet) you only get the horn and not the rest of the buttons?

That is what Elon said. But after living through 12 years of "Elon said" I won't hold my breath.

Yes, if I cover the right side with my palm, I get only the horn. I’d still prefer the airbag switch though.

Model X Front Plate holder:

We were given the wrong front plate holder at delivery (for Model Y instead). This was a stick on, which was what we wanted, but of course does not fit.

We swung by Tesla service during a trip, and we were give a bolt on version from 2019. We were told that only Models 3 and Y had stick on front plate holders. They scheduled Tesla mobile service to mount it for us.

Returning home DH found a part number for a stick on front plate holder in the Tesla parts catalog for Model X 2021+. So it appears they do exist.

How on earth do we get one of these?!? That's what we should have been given in the first place.
Just order snap plate or something similar online... Much better than getting that nasty glue residue on your bumper and damaging your paint.