Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it’s difficult to stomach. I wonder why they don’t just communicate a little bit about the process so people can understand it. Seems like a pretty easy/smart customer relations thing to do.
Do you really expect a Tesla Press Release that says "In order to maximize our own profits, we are prioritizing Plaid orders at full price and couldn't care less about LR orders, some of which are over a year old at lower prices."?

Of course this is exactly what they're doing, but they're not going to say it on the record.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
Do you really expect a Tesla Press Release that says "In order to maximize our own profits, we are prioritizing Plaid orders at full price and couldn't care less about LR orders, some of which are over a year old at lower prices."?

Of course this is exactly what they're doing, but they're not going to say it on the record.
Then maybe they should pump out those cars they took orders for well over a year ago and get them off the books.

Then maybe they should pump out those cars they took orders for well over a year ago and get them off the books.
But then their margins would go down. Don't get me wrong, they should produce and deliver cars in the order they were ordered (with some batching of similar configurations for efficiency purposes) but they are clearly not doing that. Further, they are clearly prioritizing higher margin configurations.

Everyone wants to love Tesla (and believe that Tesla loves them) but Tesla are first and foremost a public company and so they care first and foremost about what they report to Wall Street.

My assumption is that they are going to keep trickling out these old/low-margin orders where the margin decrease will be offset by higher margin orders. But I'm just some random person tapping on a keyboard.

At the end of the day, you are correct. Tesla's nonexistent customer service, both in this roll out and in general, is legendary.

No. But I would like something explaining the delivery process so we can at least make sense why long range order dates are different so much from long range deliveries because maximizing profitability doesn’t necessarily make sense because eventually you’re gonna have to build all those cars regardless of the cost basis.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
No. But I would like something explaining the delivery process so we can at least make sense why long range order dates are different so much from long range deliveries because maximizing profitability doesn’t necessarily make sense because eventually you’re gonna have to build all those cars regardless of the cost basis.
I don’t really think anybody has beef with the plaid I certainly don’t.

Not really smart ass. But I would like something explaining the delivery process so we can at least make sense why long range order dates are different so much from long range deliveries because maximizing profitability doesn’t necessarily make sense because eventually you’re gonna have to build all those cars regardless of the cost basis.
It make sense to me. Tesla is trying to maximize its margin by selling mostly the cars that give them the most profit, in this case the Plaid with the latest order date. And then they work on the older dates Plaid and Long Range a little bit a time every quarter. It’s really frustrating for the customers who have waited for a long time. But unfortunately, denying something happens won’t make it go away. Tesla knows that the customers with older date and lower price only have 2 choices, cancel their orders or keep waiting. And they are fine with both because they have tons of outstanding orders

Crossed the 600 day mark yesterday. Original order end of Nov 2020.... really waiting for the day someone screams out the first European order getting a VIN (and the second to be mine). Think it is by now bit of unfair that ZERO cars have been delivered outside of North America. I get it, America first. But by now, why not load a ship or two for Europe after hundreds or even a few thousand cars have been delivered in the US already? Oh boy, I believe I will be the first person on earth ever filling up the 1.000 days waiting for a car. My wife thinks I am nuts....🤷‍♂️

Crossed the 600 day mark yesterday. Original order end of Nov 2020.... really waiting for the day someone screams out the first European order getting a VIN (and the second to be mine). Think it is by now bit of unfair that ZERO cars have been delivered outside of North America. I get it, America first. But by now, why not load a ship or two for Europe after hundreds or even a few thousand cars have been delivered in the US already? Oh boy, I believe I will be the first person on earth ever filling up the 1.000 days waiting for a car. My wife thinks I am nuts....🤷‍♂️
I'd be pretty livid if I were waiting that long having ordered a pre-refresh Model X that theoretically should have been filled if the refresh hadn't shut down all the S/X lines.
That's crazy.

Now that the Texas factory is producing Model Y's I'd like to see them shift 100% of (North American) Model Y production to that facility, and free up some space and resources at Fremont to build more S's and X's. Clearly there's plenty of demand for these higher priced, higher margin vehicles.
That would be a great idea if the S/X were being built on the Y line but they are not

Disassemble the Y line, ship the equipment out to Texas to help with the ramp there, and now you've got a bunch of square footage to build a second S/X line.
LMAO, I’m no CEO or anything but I don’t think that would be in the best interest of the company and stockholders, I’m over a year wait on my 2nd X and I can understand peoples frustrations but you still have to think logically.

• Funny
Reactions: Edtreo
LMAO, I’m no CEO or anything but I don’t think that would be in the best interest of the company and stockholders, I’m over a year wait on my 2nd X and I can understand peoples frustrations but you still have to think logically.
From a business perspective wouldn't it make more sense to prioritize vehicles with higher margins? I'm assuming that the S and X carry higher margins than the 3/Y. I'd think you'd build as many S/X as you can sell, as quickly as you can sell them, and only after that high end market is saturated would you focus so much on the 3/Y. It seems to me that there is no shortage of demand for the S/X right now.

From a business perspective wouldn't it make more sense to prioritize vehicles with higher margins? I'm assuming that the S and X carry higher margins than the 3/Y. I'd think you'd build as many S/X as you can sell, as quickly as you can sell them, and only after that high end market is saturated would you focus so much on the 3/Y. It seems to me that there is no shortage of demand for the S/X right now.
You need to think quantity too. Last quarter, they built 16,411 s/x and 242,169 3/y. So, of course they will prioritize 3/y over s/x because at the end 3/y is their main money generator.

Why not build 50,000 S/X per quarter and 208,580 3/Y per quarter? Same number of cars, more profit
Because in order to build 50,000 s/x they need to add more machines. And what will they do with all those machines after they satisfy all existing orders and now they can’t sell 50,000 s/x per quarter? In short, there is not enough s/x orders per quarter for them to increase the capacity too much

I guess your not a CEO either

• Funny
Reactions: bobusn and focher
From a business perspective wouldn't it make more sense to prioritize vehicles with higher margins? I'm assuming that the S and X carry higher margins than the 3/Y.
I'm not sure that is a good assumption. It could be the costs to produce the S\X are much higher than the other two models, and one of their big margin items is FSD, and they make the same amount of money\margin on that when they sell an S/X as when they sell a 3/Y. But they sell WAY more 3/Y

Reactions: Fleetwood75