Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great way to increase value on something that is attached to an asset with limited lifespan and therefore will depreciate over time? It would probably be better to invest the 10k on TSLA stock instead. If you want\need FSD that is totally cool, buy it for FSD, but not for an investment.

I paid 3k for FSD in 2018, and even though buying it new now is 10k (soon 12k), I doubt it adds even my original price to the value of the car.
I kindly disagree, I don't think it adds to resale value unless its a really picky buyer who's willing to pay full price vs monthly. personally I never had a car for more than 4 years (usually 2-3) and it takes 50 months to get to the full price.
as a buyer right now if I have the option to pay 10k or monthly I'd much rather go with the monthly since I'll use it only at long trips...I think its gonna take years before it is reliable and convenient enough to use on city streets...its way to cautious in my option, 1 example is how it slows down before each traffic light even if it just turned green.
*FSD does add value to your vehicle but with a large asterisk.

My 2017 X had FSD and was struck by a truck then subsequently determined a total loss by my insurance company. Through the process of compensation, Progressive offered me a little over $6,000 for FSD. They did not give the full $10,000 as they argued depreciated value over time (which I argued against because adding it to a replacement vehicle is more than 6k but we settled on this).

Worthy of note I have heard of insurance companies not compensating for FSD at all as some insurance companies do not consider software for vehicle value. Progressive at least does. Outside of insurance companies, FSD is frequently not recognized when selling your car to a dealer and not recognized when selling back to Tesla. You can however obtain value for FSD when selling your Tesla privately.

I could elaborate more, but in short there is potential for FSD to increase the value of your car, however it depends on your situation. In any case if you are buying FSD you are getting it because you believe the now $12k cost is worth features such as Navigate on Autopilot (lane changes, engage with traffic lights), Autopark, Summon, etc) There was a whole conversation about this 600 pages back if anyone is curious lol.

I live in San Francisco and respectfully disagree. Are there homeless? Yes. Drug users, yep. Crime? Unfortunately, yes. Dense population makes those things more prevalent. Same stuff you'd find in any major city. However, to paint an entire city with these observations is misleading, and usually comes from people who either don't live here, or want to live here, can't, and use the aforementioned broad strokes to make themselves feel better. For all of California's problems (and there are plenty) there's still nowhere else in the USA I'd rather be. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me.
Having just made my first trip to California ever. And San Fran and north area, including time aimlessly wandering downtown and stumbling on random food and drink stops… it could be a lot worse.
The city felt clean. Nothing like the level of dirt like a New York. Or nothing like the type of aggressive homeless population. In my opinion.

I think she got a call last year to upgrade to 6 seats to take delivery before the end of the year, and she is trying to get a refund because they didn't actually delivery by the end of the year, and if she had just waited she could have got it for free and had the exact same delivery timeframe.
Exactly right. Just have to have a RN from someone who ordered the plaid 5 or 7 seat and got the free upgrade this year to 6 seat so my SA can verify since he’s stating no plaid 5 or 7 seats have been changed to 6 seat at no cost

In other news GigaTexas officially started their production of the Model Y yesterday.

A small number of cars and ramping production, but there is certainly hope this takes some pressure off the Fremont delivery line in favor of Model X production :)
Hope is right... but not for most of us. Once Giga TX takes on the Model Y production orders then they have to completely rework that line to Model X. I envision 8-10 months before Tesla is making Model X on a full dedicated line. Maybe by then us 2020 5 seaters will get our VINs but I am not holding my breath.

Reactions: croman
new M3 LR are delivering march ‘22 according to website. I agree that used car prices won’t stay inflated indefinitely but for now, resale on Teslas is crazy and fsd is a factor, but not easy to quantify. To assume it’s worth nothing at resale is wrong, but I’m also not saying it’s worth $10k or $12k on a used car. Maybe ~$5k or around there. I think value will increase with new capability and increased purchase price over time. Time will tell.
FSD is only worth something to one who wants to risk using. There are no guarantees Fed and Local governments will actually allow it when it's no longer a beta product.

Now that that's out of the way...

IMHO if you buy a software package which is continuing to be updated and improved then there shouldn’t be depreciation. It's technically a better software package than it was a year ago. Now if the hardware is no longer as compatible or needs to be upgraded then there's your depreciation argument.

I think she got a call last year to upgrade to 6 seats to take delivery before the end of the year, and she is trying to get a refund because they didn't actually delivery by the end of the year, and if she had just waited she could have got it for free and had the exact same delivery timeframe.
Those people got screwed.
I smell class action lawsuit or get some news coverage and force Testa to do the right thing like the Solar Roof order holders had to do.

I have a Model 3 LR that went TBD and then shortly afterwards had targeted date. It is my backup order in case my X takes too long. They said i had to take delivery now or else they are cancelling.

So when i hit I'm ready it went TBD...and then a couple days later the 3 reservation had a date as well as multiple calls and texts asking if i would take delivery.

For others in this thread they have been stuck in TBD and then even moving back to a future month.

Think TBD means you are at least closer and they are trying to get you an allocation subject to parts shortages etc

That's interesting.
When you say your 'order page' is that for an order you have already placed? If that is the case then you may be grandfathered in for the 10k FSD price which would be good news for all of those who placed orders previously but didn't order FSD originally.
Yes, on my order manage page for my X. When I click add full self driving it still says 10k. However, on my model 3 manage page that I own it says 12k. So maybe open orders are grandfathered in on the old price ?