Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I understand - I’ll miss the glorious leather and wood of my 2020 GLS-450 but not the gas station stops and cost, the $800 oil changes, the lumbering ICE sluggishness and smells, the overly complex dash and almost useless MBX Navigation phone entertainment and function screens, and the primitive autopilot that cannot come close to the MY performance on the same streets - not to mention the Fleet Knowledge base. After driving my wife’s MY I feel like I am going back 100 years when I drive the Mercedes. Too bad they just missed the electric boat and they have very poor software that also lacks customer focus. The best or nothing they say but it’s nothing. I am gone after 55 years of Mercedes ownership. Sad on the one hand but great on the Tesla other hand
$800 oil changes, surely that is a bunch of other stuff too?!??

I love the tight turning radius on the GLs, I wonder how the X compare. Small thing but immensely imp to me as it’s annoying as hell when parking a Ford.
It's comparable - I don't think X can quite get the absurd steering angle GLS can get, but the X has ~8" less wheelbase and overall length than GLS450, but it's also wider compared to the GLS, so it washes out. Surround/bird's eye view is the thing you'll miss when parking, but the sensors on X are pretty good substitutes

I currently own two german cars that are out of warranty and my brand-new Model X has had more problems than either of them over the same 6-month time period. I mean, no MAJOR problems, but problems pre-installed from the factory. The german cars just keep on ticking. One of them is an occasional track car that gets used as a daily, the other is my wife's daily. If you zoom out to the life of the cars that changes of course, but the X has done 6000 miles and those two cars have done more than 185,000 miles combined, and are 6 and 13 years old, so, the jury is out on the X vs. the Germans, but I figure all the needless complication of the X ought to about add up to "german car"

Last edited:
It's comparable - I don't think X can quite get the absurd steering angle GLS can get, but the X has ~8" less wheelbase and overall length than GLS450, but it's also wider compared to the GLS, so it washes out. Surround/bird's eye view is the thing you'll miss when parking, but the sensors on X are pretty good substitutes

I currently own two german cars that are out of warranty and my brand-new Model X has had more problems than either of them over the same 6-month time period. I mean, no MAJOR problems, but problems pre-installed from the factory. The german cars just keep on ticking. One of them is an occasional track car that gets used as a daily, the other is my wife's daily. If you zoom out to the life of the cars that changes of course, but the X has done 6000 miles and those two cars have done more than 185,000 miles combined, and are 6 and 13 years old, so, the jury is out on the X vs. the Germans, but I figure all the needless complication of the X ought to about add up to "german car"
Love that response. (Thumbs up once I figure out how to do it on web page via phone). If I could afford it, I’d keep my German and X but can’t stomach it without the trade in value for the German. Such is life.

Interesting. Our 2018 MX replaced the 2016 MB GLE 4matic and the MX needs a lot more acreage for maneuvering. We're on a "unique" street and with my car in the driveway and the neighbor's minivan in the street, it's at least one pull-up if not two to back it into the garage while staying off the grass. Add in that the MB had a 360-degree camera that worked fantastic versus the repeater cameras of the Tesla, and it's a chore. I'm new to the Tesla so I haven't mastered the "shift from D to R and get it moving rearward without it rolling forward (downhill)" so that does slightly impact my confidence.

Love that response. (Thumbs up once I figure out how to do it on web page via phone). If I could afford it, I’d keep my German and X but can’t stomach it without the trade in value for the German. Such is life.
I'm sorry you'll have to clarify what is "german car trade-in value" is that like when you get a nickel if you return the glass bottle of kombucha you paid $6 for? :D

Reactions: Vitaman
So according to Electrek, some MS Plaid orders are now receiving delivery dates. This is good news as we'll be next hopefully. Two of the people they mention placed their orders in Jan and Feb.
I received a text message from my SA on Wednesday.

SATextMesssage-5-12-21.jpg

Maybe some other's in my area have received delivery dates updated to June and he didn't realize mine already had June. I'll get excited when people start getting assigned VIN numbers. Till then, waiting patiently.

Reactions: DIL and Stro
I received a text message from my SA on Wednesday.

View attachment 661960

Maybe some other's in my area have received delivery dates updated to June and he didn't realize mine already had June. I'll get excited when people start getting assigned VIN numbers. Till then, waiting patiently
I ordered 12/27 and again 1/28 ... no updates from SA or on account . My SA honestly said he wouldn’t know more than me and it may be July for me as I’m one of the pre refreshed orders . I couldn’t wait longer and hence I ordered Y as well . Depending on release date of Model S , I can decide if want to wait on MX or not .
my biggest regret was turning down on midnight silver with white seats on store inventory with 3 k miles on it and it was about 20 k less than what I’m going to pay now . I wasn’t following Tesla at that time and had no clue about refresh when I ordered. Only turned it down as I didn’t want white seats as I have kids and dogs.

For those seeing updates to their orders, did you get past the point of uploading your insurance. I'm stuck at that stage because I'm in one of the states that they say you have to have the VIN on the policy.
So, you can’t get a VIN until car is much closer to delivery and, so, you can’t upload your insurance with a VIN until then. I apologize if you already know this and I just wasted a few minutes of your life.

Just checked the Site after a few weeks of abstinence.
Placed orders for both long range and performance 3 months ago.
Both gave June dates until now.
LR now says October. Performance doesn't say a thing.
A clue here? Just an oversight?
Draw your own conclusions.