Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the same boat. We ordered R1S in March 2021 and then was told by members of Rivian forum that likely means that I will get mine Q2 or Q3 2022, which is probably accurate. I am not the most patient person and we ordered the X in late April and delivery date went from August to October/November and to January. If the Rivian guide contacts me this year, then I will likely go with the Rivian even if I have to wait 6 more months on the vehicle. Otherwise, I'll just keep checking all the forums like a madman with my wife asking me why I am acting like a little kid showing no patience.
I hedged and put a deposit on an R1S in March. Now my hedge is a full blown bet on Rivian. Pulled my order on the MX. Really tired of being jerked around by Tesla, whom I have supported since 2012.

I spoke to Tesla today regarding X delivery and she said Jan 2022 is the current estimate. Not what I wanted to hear. Model S is June this year. I placed my order for X on 12/31 then changed to plaid when the refresh was announced. Funny part was she said customer demand was reason for change in delivery times lol but seems like there is no X production going on atm. She also acknowledged the website was having issues and said should be resolved in a day or 2.
If my wife’s x isn’t due until January I definitely be encouraging her to look at other cars. Getting sick of Elon. The better have something up their sleeve that makes this wait worthwhile.

Reactions: jbrowdy
Man really sucks they pushed the date to Jan 2022, however there really isn't a ev that can match price to performance to the Tesla. I've been shopping around for months and I really can't get myself to pull on a ice. Test driven the rsq8, gle 63s, cayenne turbo, urus and the bentayga and yes they have really nice interior and really beefy engines, but for some reason feel like dinosaurs in tech and slower than my dual motor 3 which on paper all these cars should beat. In the end, I have a deposit down for the plaid, but shy of paying 170k for a taycan, which doesn't have supercharging network, Tesla really has a grasp on the ev market. People say competition is coming but don't really see a plaid X competitor. I want a ultra fast suv and right now only Tesla hit it. The cross turismo is the closest thing but to spec it to the model X plaid specs I'll have to shell out 200k :/ so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and endure elons wonky timeline :(

Reactions: bhzmark
Even further - I get the impression that the car isn't even ready for production yet. So current dates are essentially just placeholder swag. It ships when it's ready.

Of course, it's shocking behavior from a customer interaction perspective but ...tesla things... :rolleyes:
It will be ready when it’s ready. Snd judging from the
Account was off yesterday, now it's back, nothing changed.

ordered 11/2020: MX LR, blue / cream, 5 seats, 20", no AP
DD before refresh: "02-03/2021"
DD refreshed model X: "-"
mmm Blue / Cream 5 will be a sweet look!

Reactions: Funky1000
Sam
Man really sucks they pushed the date to Jan 2022, however there really isn't a ev that can match price to performance to the Tesla. I've been shopping around for months and I really can't get myself to pull on a ice. Test driven the rsq8, gle 63s, cayenne turbo, urus and the bentayga and yes they have really nice interior and really beefy engines, but for some reason feel like dinosaurs in tech and slower than my dual motor 3 which on paper all these cars should beat. In the end, I have a deposit down for the plaid, but shy of paying 170k for a taycan, which doesn't have supercharging network, Tesla really has a grasp on the ev market. People say competition is coming but don't really see a plaid X competitor. I want a ultra fast suv and right now only Tesla hit it. The cross turismo is the closest thing but to spec it to the model X plaid specs I'll have to shell out 200k :/ so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and endure elons wonky timeline :(
Same here, checked out all the alternatives but nothing come close to Tesla and that’s why I ordered a plaid s the second I learned it can still be delivered on June. Still holding on my x order but we will see.

Reactions: TallBill and Kaos_X
I came here to find out why my Plaid X that I ordered upon the refresh announcement on 1/28/21, which was originally scheduled for delivery in March, is now showing October. It seems like I'm not alone! It also seems many posters here that ordered well before me (presumably for the pre-refreshed X?) now have their orders in limbo.

I’m embarrassed. I referred a friend who’s never bought a Tesla, their first EV after listening to me go on about how great Tesla EVs are. We’ve owned everything except the Roadster, and have 7 Pw2’s as part of our non-Tesla solar. They ordered an X in early Jan 2021, were told to expect delivery in February and it’s been a nightmare of missed opportunity since.
What’s the latest excuse for Tesla not being able to manufacture one S/X since January? I’d like to know so I don’t refer a single customer until they figure their sh!t out.

I’m embarrassed. I referred a friend who’s never bought a Tesla, their first EV after listening to me go on about how great Tesla EVs are. We’ve owned everything except the Roadster, and have 7 Pw2’s as part of our non-Tesla solar. They ordered an X in early Jan 2021, were told to expect delivery in February and it’s been a nightmare of missed opportunity since.
What’s the latest excuse for Tesla not being able to manufacture one S/X since January? I’d like to know so I don’t refer a single customer until they figure their sh!t out.
I can understand you! This is a wordwide problem of supply chains of almost every ressource. Here in Germany, or wood prices have doubled, as china bought off the market. Or simple electrical wires for house electrics can't be bought because copper is sucked away by american and chinese market. Plus a plasics factory in china burned down, no more isolation for cables or plastic boxes for electronics available. Plus container carriers have reduced their number of container ships due to covid, so the transportation price goes up and capacities are limited. And on and on...

I can understand you! This is a wordwide problem of supply chains of almost every ressource. Here in Germany, or wood prices have doubled, as china bought off the market. Or simple electrical wires for house electrics can't be bought because copper is sucked away by american and chinese market. Plus a plasics factory in china burned down, no more isolation for cables or plastic boxes for electronics available. Plus container carriers have reduced their number of container ships due to covid, so the transportation price goes up and capacities are limited. And on and on...
In the US wood for construction is 3 to 5 times as much as it was 15 months ago. We paid $5,000 to replace 100 foot of fence. New homes are being sold with no fixed price, rather a range since they are not sure what it will cost to build them.

As far as electronics goes Apple and other companies have announced potential low availability for their new products. Taiwan is a major drought and they cannot run the chip fabs full time due to lack of electricity, plus demand is skyrocketing.

And getting back to cars, Ford has F-series pickup sitting partially completed waiting on electronic components. As the article points out, the shortage is affecting all car companies and is why the dealer lots are getting empty. And Ford is halting production of the F-150, America's best selling vehicle, in some plants. No doubt this is impacting Tesla's ability to deliver cars also. My guess Tesla is prioritizing the high volume Y and 3 over the S and X.

Telsa is also switching to microcontrollers which are general purposely programmable versus designed for a specific function, seem to have better availability, and will make it easier to add functionality in the future. The downside is this requires creating the programming, redoing the wiring, and redesigning tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: TallBill
We are having a second thought with our order now. Our current estimate for delivery is October. With the proposed bill, if sign as is of course, (Tesla) vehicle under 80K would get 10K tax credit. This makes Model Y or LR S 10K cheaper. From the bill language, looks like vehicle purchased after May 24th will have 7500 credit and 10K in 2022. We are thinking of getting a Y and then get the X when it has 4680 battery.

Last edited: