Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pure conjecture for sure … but I am beginning to wonder if the real reason is that Elon is adding special new stuff to the X to make sure it holds its own for several years against the likes of the Mercedes EQSeries SUVs and others that will be appearing in the next 2-3 years.
FSD, AI and The Fleet, super chargers will keep Tesla way ahead - but easier to see and understand things like range, build quality, neat features will become more important as competition comes.
These take engineering time.
I can hardly wait for my first $100k vehicle, and it will be worth every dollar, even with the 10% increase now upon new buyers.
Well.... the Supercharger Network is about to be open to all (for a fee). So that will no longer be a competitive advantage, IMO, unless something changes.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I think it's supply chain. I suspect they may have trouble securing one or possibly many parts, most critical of which are semiconductors, to produce these cars. MS and MX are high margin, so they will likely prioritize the highest margin version of each to ensure highest dollar cash flows per vehicle produced. This is what likely happened with the MS Plaid: Plaids were being delivered before Long Range. I was one of them. I got my Plaid in June (and sold it about ten days later).

Certain configurations were delivered before others (black paint/cream interior with wood accents), most likely because those are the parts they had the most of (let's crank out as many of the high return vehicles as we can to maximize cash flow during this revenue crunch).

I think one more factor may be R&D. Elon commented that they were working on making sure the batteries were safe months ago. Then, a MS spontaneously caught fire (was all over the news) and there was a pause on MS deliveries (despite the fact that they were already built and sitting in lots). I suspect they were tweaking battery management software or firmware.

I have zero inside information. All speculation based on what I am reading and what I would do if I were in their shoes.

B759F7EA-A5C1-4ABE-9EBF-647AD54D7212.png

Wow it is March-April now for new orders. Not sure if it is affecting existing orders…

Well.... the Supercharger Network is about to be open to all (for a fee). So that will no longer be a competitive advantage, IMO, unless something changes.
I have a suspicion this is a red herring in the sense that automakers won’t be jumping to have their BMSs enable handshakes with Tesla SC. I imagine it’s a slightly different comms protocol which will require some tuning. Then you have the issue with adapters and such.

Reactions: TallBill and Wooly1
I have a suspicion this is a red herring in the sense that automakers won’t be jumping to have their BMSs enable handshakes with Tesla SC. I imagine it’s a slightly different comms protocol which will require some tuning. Then you have the issue with adapters and such.
I am sure it will have a complexity to it for multiple reasons. Adapters, billing, etc. I also would not like to get to a supercharger and have cars other than Tesla's stopping me from supercharging.

I am sure it will have a complexity to it for multiple reasons. Adapters, billing, etc. I also would not like to get to a supercharger and have cars other than Tesla's stopping me from supercharging.
I agree. It's already congested enough in some parts of the US. I can't imagine opening it up to everyone, especially when so many new EVs are expected to be released in the next 2-3 years. It's going to be hell. But... there is money to be made by Tesla.

Reactions: Wooly1

I could not agree more with both of you. This is either a major red herring or the worst business decision in history. Unquestionably Tesla’s greatest advantage right now are the superchargers. It’s the one thing that is locking smart EV buyers to Tesla. All others EV's are just commuter cars at the end of the day really as taking a longer trip in them would be either impossible or very difficult. Once Tesla loses/ or gives away that advantage……look out because the competition suddenly becomes very attractive. The minute I have to wait at a supercharger for a Mach E to charge in front of me, they have lost my business. After all we aren’t here for the industry leading customer service or their amazing service centers right? 🤥

Reactions: JER85 and JTWIRE
I could not agree more with both of you. This is either a major red herring or the worst business decision in history. Unquestionably Tesla’s greatest advantage right now are the superchargers. It’s the one thing that is locking smart EV buyers to Tesla. All others EV's are just commuter cars at the end of the day really as taking a longer trip in them would be either impossible or very difficult. Once Tesla loses/ or gives away that advantage……look out because the competition suddenly becomes very attractive. The minute I have to wait at a supercharger for a Mach E to charge in front of me, they have lost my business. After all we aren’t here for the industry leading customer service or their amazing service centers right? 🤥
While it would be nice to continue to have exclusive use of Tesla superchargers, I think we’re living through a very special time in history and it was always going to be a short term experience. We all use the same gas stations and if the idea is to proliferate EVs it’s a very smart business move for Tesla to own those.

While it would be nice to continue to have exclusive use of Tesla superchargers, I think we’re living through a very special time in history and it was always going to be a short term experience. We all use the same gas stations and if the idea is to proliferate EVs it’s a very smart business move for Tesla to own those.
I understand your point, but this situation is nothing like the situation with gas stations of today. If there were thousands of fast charging stations scattered across every road and highway owned by whoever, then you would be correct, and eventually that is how it will be. Currently though supercharging stations are at a premium and Tesla’s main advantage. Porsche, Ford, Audi, BMW, GM, would kill to have a charging network like Tesla has built out over the last 9 years. Trouble is it takes time, permits, construction, money, etc. Down the road when many other fast charging stations have been put in place and Tesla is just one of many fast charging networks, and there is an abundance of supply, then that would be the time to do it. To do it now would be such a leg up for the competition it would constitute negligence on the part of Tesla management. It sounds good in the press but my suspicion is this is still quite a ways off.

I understand your point, but this situation is nothing like the situation with gas stations of today. If there were thousands of fast charging stations scattered across every road and highway owned by whoever, then you would be correct, and eventually that is how it will be. Currently though supercharging stations are at a premium and Tesla’s main advantage. Porsche, Ford, Audi, BMW, GM, would kill to have a charging network like Tesla has built out over the last 9 years. Trouble is it takes time, permits, construction, money, etc. Down the road when many other fast charging stations have been put in place and Tesla is just one of many fast charging networks, and there is an abundance of supply, then that would be the time to do it. To do it now would be such a leg up for the competition it would constitute negligence on the part of Tesla management. It sounds good in the press but my suspicion is this is still quite a ways off.
I see your point and am of the opinion it would create a logjam at Tesla super chargers which would affect Tesla owners. A major advantage that owners of Tesla’s have is the super chargers to “share” is goi g to cause delays for Tesla faithful. I don’t know what the right thing is, I see both sides of the argument but am inclined to keep super chargers just for Tesla’s.