Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
18650s got new chemistry with Plaid S. 18650 is a form factor, not a chemistry.

Tesla isn't going to do LFP for many reasons with S and X. Biggest is that LFP won't give power and a likely loss of 10 percent of the range with added weight and less energy density. S and X need gobs of instant amps. 18650 is better that way too. Issue was cooling and Tesla solved that. Panasonic also does a much better job making batteries in Japan. S and X deserve only the best.

18650s got new chemistry with Plaid S. 18650 is a form factor, not a chemistry.

Tesla isn't going to do LFP for many reasons with S and X. Biggest is that LFP won't give power and a likely loss of 10 percent of the range with added weight and less energy density. S and X need gobs of instant amps. 18650 is better that way too. Issue was cooling and Tesla solved that. Panasonic also does a much better job making batteries in Japan. S and X deserve only the best.
Yeah but...what was the new chemistry? Was it the same one that allegedly went in the late Raven Long Range Plus packs, but also with new and better cooling plates than the older packs? Is it not a pack thing but an inverter/power electronics thing? Isn't reducing the heat generated by a cell for a given draw one way to solve cooling? You do have to get a certain amount of heat through the body of the battery somehow and that's a relatively fixed rate of transfer that maxes out at some point because thermo

The range did take a hit, on paper anyway. But the pack also got lighter so I'd be surprised if they went to LFP, but, I'd really love to see it confirmed what exactly they did for each iteration.

LFP will happen widely because
1) Elon says he prefers them
2) They are cheaper because of lower materials costs and higher yield in manufacturing
3) tu and Ontario Hydro patents expire in a few days and April. They become even cheaper.
4) Former ban on exports from Asia of LFP has been lifted and Fremont is stocking up on them making them even cheaper
5) M3 buyers waiting for delivery are already being contacted with offer to change to LFP and get their car sooner, heh at the same price, so even bigger margin!
6) Berlin and Austin are tooling up on LFP now with tried and true equipment that costs less and has high yield.

LFP will happen widely because
1) Elon says he prefers them
2) They are cheaper because of lower materials costs and higher yield in manufacturing
3) tu and Ontario Hydro patents expire in a few days and April. They become even cheaper.
4) Former ban on exports from Asia of LFP has been lifted and Fremont is stocking up on them making them even cheaper
5) M3 buyers waiting for delivery are already being contacted with offer to change to LFP and get their car sooner, heh at the same price, so even bigger margin!
6) Berlin and Austin are tooling up on LFP now with tried and true equipment that costs less and has high yield.

Widely isn't S and X.

The 3 and Y can get the cheap stuff because Tesla makes more money with LFP packs and iron is cheap and they don't need the performance or range. Tesla chemistry already uses little cobalt and nickel has so much energy density compared to iron.

Yeah but...what was the new chemistry? Was it the same one that allegedly went in the late Raven Long Range Plus packs, but also with new and better cooling plates than the older packs? Is it not a pack thing but an inverter/power electronics thing? Isn't reducing the heat generated by a cell for a given draw one way to solve cooling? You do have to get a certain amount of heat through the body of the battery somehow and that's a relatively fixed rate of transfer that maxes out at some point because thermo

The range did take a hit, on paper anyway. But the pack also got lighter so I'd be surprised if they went to LFP, but, I'd really love to see it confirmed what exactly they did for each iteration.

New chemistry. Not LR plus. The pack was redesigned with better cooling and fewer modules and cells.

No LFP for sure.

Reactions: bhzmark
Sold my S in March. Been a single M3P family for a family of 5. Its been a struggle at times. Had to Turo a few times. Feels if you buy something used right now, you'll be purchasing at peak and recent data indicate the used market is sliding downwards.

I definitely get the itch to purchase something temporary every other week. Might be more cost effective to Turo. First world problems, right?
Similar situation. I actually started asking married friends working from home but still with two cars about renting from them. Then my neighbor’s daughter went off to college and didn’t take her car, so I’m “renting“ it for a few hundred per month just for the convenience. My insurance actually dropped because of the multi-car discount and the fact that it’s a 20 year old Suburu Outback. Fine for a bridge solution, but I still am internally annoyed that my wife is now driving my 3P to work while we wait for her X. I don’t tell her that, of course. I’m not an idiot.

Got this text today. Not putting much faith in it but my September date is still there
E7EAD29C-9D5D-4AF7-A88E-B9C27315707F.jpeg