Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One idea I had is that they are maxing out S deliveries for this quarter, then they will start X production next quarter and make it a 2022 vehicle. Just throwing darts at a dart board but trying to find some shred of business logic in what Tesla is doing right now with the X.
That actually makes some sense and matches how likes to deliver in batches. You might have something there.

Reactions: SpaceCash
The Rivian R1S looks like some good competition for the Model X, with more towing capacity and ~20K cheaper than a Model X. That said, Tesla Supercharging is a huge benefit. But at some point, either Tesla has to get serious about delivering Model X, or alternatives look attractive.

And don't tell me about the Cybertruck. It's fugly and way too large for many customers.
Cybertruck is vaporware until proven otherwise. It's an interesting idea, it solves some fundamental efficiency flaws with the classic pickup truck design with its shape, which I think needs to be done to make an EV pickup truck even sorta-practical. But there have been zero (0) production mules spotted. Zero updates on production design to pump orders (and orders would definitely pump if they actually had an update, people are thirsty for a truck with those specs). At this point it's as real as the Hot Wheels versions are

The Rivian (which is also vaporware until proven otherwise, but seems a lot more solid with its sister car rolling off the line now) is a true SUV where the X is much more like a not-really-that-tall wagon. It'll get much, much worse consumption (Rivian's rated normal-conditions consumption is pretty much worst-case winter consumption going uphill in the snow on the X) and therefore charging, even fast charging, on long trips is going to be pretty rough compared to doing the same speed and mileage in an X. But it's a really, really nice package with capabilities no Tesla has and no Tesla is slated to have anytime soon. We'll see if they can make them consistently, in volume - as we know, that's the challenge.

Last edited:
Cybertruck is vaporware until proven otherwise. It's an interesting idea, it solves some fundamental efficiency flaws with the classic pickup truck design with its shape, which I think needs to be done to make an EV pickup truck even sorta-practical. But there have been zero (0) production mules spotted. Zero updates on production design to pump orders (and orders would definitely pump if they actually had an update, people are thirsty for a truck with those specs). At this point it's as real as the Hot Wheels versions are

The Rivian (which is also vaporware until proven otherwise, but seems a lot more solid with its sister car rolling off the line now) is a true SUV where the X is much more like a not-really-that-tall wagon. It'll get much, much worse consumption (Rivian's rated normal-conditions consumption is pretty much worst-case winter consumption going uphill in the snow on the X) and therefore charging, even fast charging, on long trips is going to be pretty rough compared to doing the same speed and mileage in an X. But it's a really, really nice package with capabilities no Tesla has and no Tesla is slated to have anytime soon. We'll see if they can make them consistently, in volume - as we know, that's the challenge.
It’s well reported that the Rivian R1T pickup is in manufacturing now, and the R1S SUV appears to share much of its design with the pickup, so it’s likely to be available soon. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post.

I talked to one of the managers at the delivery center last week about my Model X order and I was told that Tesla was ready to send out a massive update to all the reservations. So I just wonder if that is the one that he mentioned…

"Massive update" doesn't necessarily mean progress - it could simply be putting out another "time slot" to have customers cling to. We've already had - what - 3 of these?

Only thing worse would be "2 weeks".

• Funny
Reactions: ammulder
Straight up, maybe they’re secretly telling us the glass windows are the hang up. I’ve heard tinters say the front windshield of the X is the hardest window for tinting due to size and curvature.
The size of the windscreen is the least of refresh s/x owner problems. Nearly every refreshed S has shipped with warped glass. People have given up on asking Tesla to replace the warped glass in the doors, but are still adamant about at least the front windscreen be fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: TWENT2
ummmmm sawyer said this…his tweets are usually pretty credible maybe the person above me that mention a huge update to X deliveries is coming wasn’t wrong at all :)
DB4A9CC7-56F7-4FB3-AA4C-1ACFB69BB47F.png

Reactions: DIL