Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine just changed to January from blank today. Was September before and April before that.
ugh they're just going to systematically keep pushing everyone back... All August's got pushed to December... September to January.....and so on... I guess we will see what happens in December when the previously August people come due. Will be interesting to see if they just keep kicking the can down the road.

Reactions: MxTaycan
ugh they're just going to systematically keep pushing everyone back... All August's got pushed to December... September to January.....and so on... I guess we will see what happens in December when the previously August people come due. Will be interesting to see if they just keep kicking the can down the road.
I'm thinking January is gonna be the big release, delivery month. 1st quarter big boom 💥

Come late this year, going to be enough chips to go around because ICE production going to collapse. And EV production is only scaling up, so everything going to work out. I'm thinking that I'll finally get my new X between January and March 2022. So, all in all it'll be just under 1 year later than promised. My current X is from April 2017 on a 3 year lease. I just keep extending my lease one month at time. In hindsight I would have sub leased from someone letting go of an newer X but hey, that's life. Still stoked to get my yoke, video game pimped new X!!!

Finally jumping on this thread after months of lurking. Placed my MXLR order end of June 2021 for a White/Black vehicle, 5 seater, no options. EDD has been January from the start and still is. Granted it doesn't say January 2022, but just January.

My background has been large V8 powered Trucks and SUV's for the past 7 years, so while I'm not a tree hugging, look at me I'm saving the planet type of guy, getting away from 12 mpg has a big appeal. Otherwise I'm drawn to Tesla for the performance, technology and to some degree exclusivity (at least with the Model X or S).

I do have big reservations with build quality. From a lot of what I read, the car I receive could be better or worse than the last 5 produced before or after it, for whatever reason. So, before signing on the dotted line and silently driving away, I will need a good amount of seat time, a brief test drive, and time going over panel gaps, etc. I'm hoping to get a Wednesday, not a Friday, vehicle if that makes any sense. It seems that Tesla wants the process to be to show up, sign, and leave. I refuse to buy something, especially this dollar amount, with obvious, major flaws right out of the gate only to have to chase my own tail trying to get things fixed and hearing COVID delays to blame for everything.

If my January EDD does come to be true, it could conflict with heavy travel I have planned. Does anyone have experience with how long a dealer will hold a vehicle to be picked up by the person who ordered it?

Also find it interesting that the SA I've been speaking to, when asked about the timeline, and would I receive a 2022 model year, his reply was basically there is no 2022 model, you ordered a 2021 model, so that's what you will get. I'm about 95% convinced to lease the vehicle since I'm not comfortable with owning what could potentially be a headache many years down the road, but if my CPA finds major tax advantages to buying it, or the Biden admin adds incentives, that may change, and in that case I would care that it's a 2021, not 2022 model year.

Finally regarding my local SA, wondering if anyone has any feedback or experienced anything similar to what I did when asking about a pre owned Model X. FWIW, I would have liked to drive a Model X, or at least sit in one. I know about all the upgrades the refreshed model has, and I can use my imagination regarding those things (yoke excluded). The SA responded that the pre owned vehicles are not for test drives, in fact I should not consider one since the new one is so much better and when it does come out it will kill the values of the old one. I disagree with the last part, and never had any intention of buying used. It came down to simply wanting to sit in the car, to see how I fit (I'm 6'2" 300+lbs), seat comfort, overall size, etc. I have never even been inside a Model X before at all. He flat our refused. He confirmed the vehicles are on site but I cannot get inside one, no way, no how. Way to pour a cold bucket of ice water on someone who just layed down $100 non refundable deposit to buy a $90k EV.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or sharing of experiences.

Reactions: honeyfist301
Finally jumping on this thread after months of lurking. Placed my MXLR order end of June 2021 for a White/Black vehicle, 5 seater, no options. EDD has been January from the start and still is. Granted it doesn't say January 2022, but just January.

My background has been large V8 powered Trucks and SUV's for the past 7 years, so while I'm not a tree hugging, look at me I'm saving the planet type of guy, getting away from 12 mpg has a big appeal. Otherwise I'm drawn to Tesla for the performance, technology and to some degree exclusivity (at least with the Model X or S).

I do have big reservations with build quality. From a lot of what I read, the car I receive could be better or worse than the last 5 produced before or after it, for whatever reason. So, before signing on the dotted line and silently driving away, I will need a good amount of seat time, a brief test drive, and time going over panel gaps, etc. I'm hoping to get a Wednesday, not a Friday, vehicle if that makes any sense. It seems that Tesla wants the process to be to show up, sign, and leave. I refuse to buy something, especially this dollar amount, with obvious, major flaws right out of the gate only to have to chase my own tail trying to get things fixed and hearing COVID delays to blame for everything.

If my January EDD does come to be true, it could conflict with heavy travel I have planned. Does anyone have experience with how long a dealer will hold a vehicle to be picked up by the person who ordered it?

Also find it interesting that the SA I've been speaking to, when asked about the timeline, and would I receive a 2022 model year, his reply was basically there is no 2022 model, you ordered a 2021 model, so that's what you will get. I'm about 95% convinced to lease the vehicle since I'm not comfortable with owning what could potentially be a headache many years down the road, but if my CPA finds major tax advantages to buying it, or the Biden admin adds incentives, that may change, and in that case I would care that it's a 2021, not 2022 model year.

Finally regarding my local SA, wondering if anyone has any feedback or experienced anything similar to what I did when asking about a pre owned Model X. FWIW, I would have liked to drive a Model X, or at least sit in one. I know about all the upgrades the refreshed model has, and I can use my imagination regarding those things (yoke excluded). The SA responded that the pre owned vehicles are not for test drives, in fact I should not consider one since the new one is so much better and when it does come out it will kill the values of the old one. I disagree with the last part, and never had any intention of buying used. It came down to simply wanting to sit in the car, to see how I fit (I'm 6'2" 300+lbs), seat comfort, overall size, etc. I have never even been inside a Model X before at all. He flat our refused. He confirmed the vehicles are on site but I cannot get inside one, no way, no how. Way to pour a cold bucket of ice water on someone who just layed down $100 non refundable deposit to buy a $90k EV.

From my personal experience, you won't be able to 'test drive' your own vehicle before signing but you should 100% inspect every little thing. If possible, bring that annoying friend that sees all of the little imperfections on everything... he/she is needed here. Now, regarding your SA, he's not the brightest person apparently. You will not get a 2021 vehicle because you ordered a 2021 vehicle. Because you EDD is so far out, you're for sure getting a 2022 model. And finally, as far as 'sitting in an X', I'd recommend renting one for a day on Turo. That will give you the experience you need.

Tesla build quality from what I hear is on par with everyone else now from what Sandy Munro says. I'll believe that. My 2017 X has a few issues however it was never like what you are prepared for. There were small issues here and there which were fixed. I'm short but the X fits my tall friends easily. Its a great ride and those FWD, still a thrill!

If you ordered in June I don't think you have to worry about hitting that January EDD, People who ordered 6-7 months before you are being pushed to Dec-Jan so I'm sure you will be pushed back

You won't be able to drive the car before signing and finalizing payment, but you can certainly take your time sitting in it and inspecting carefully. Make sure you point every little thing out and if its not serious they should make an appointment for you to get it fixed, but make sure you point it out before you drive off

You will definitely be getting a 2022 model, its not when you place the order, its when the car is produced and built

He's right about not being able to sit in or test drive the used models, Tesla has always been strict about that. Even if you are interested in buying it. you basically have to place the order for the vehicle online and go pick it up, that's when you first get to see it. So I recommend you rent one on TURO and spend some time with it, that's the best option. but you should be fine with your size though, its a very spacious car.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Tesla build quality from what I hear is on par with everyone else now from what Sandy Munro says. I'll believe that. My 2017 X has a few issues however it was never like what you are prepared for. There were small issues here and there which were fixed. I'm short but the X fits my tall friends easily. Its a great ride and those FWD, still a thrill!
Based on my experience so far with my 2021 LR+, they are not yet on par.

The only thing I would say is, below-par build quality on a luxury EV is still par, overall, for a complicated large luxury car. I'm a German car guy so I'm accustomed to a certain amount of ****ery from legacy manufacturers particulary when it comes to powertrain dependability. But Tesla is not on par with them when it comes to coachbuilding, and it's not close.

Last edited:
If you ordered in June I don't think you have to worry about hitting that January EDD, People who ordered 6-7 months before you are being pushed to Dec-Jan so I'm sure you will be pushed back

You won't be able to drive the car before signing and finalizing payment, but you can certainly take your time sitting in it and inspecting carefully. Make sure you point every little thing out and if its not serious they should make an appointment for you to get it fixed, but make sure you point it out before you drive off

You will definitely be getting a 2022 model, its not when you place the order, its when the car is produced and built

He's right about not being able to sit in or test drive the used models, Tesla has always been strict about that. Even if you are interested in buying it. you basically have to place the order for the vehicle online and go pick it up, that's when you first get to see it. So I recommend you rent one on TURO and spend some time with it, that's the best option. but you should be fine with your size though, its a very spacious car.
Thanks for all the feedback, very valuable. I recall seeing numbers possibly somewhere else on the forum about number of MX's ordered broken down by trim, color, region, etc. It was not a huge number of cars, I assumed that's just data from forum members voluntarily contributed, not hard data from Tesla. Make's you wonder how many refreshed MX's have been ordered and are awaiting delivery, does anyone have an idea? Glad to hear my order should be a 2022, regardless of whether it arrives in January or not.

Thanks for those that suggested Turo, it is definitely an excellent idea that I will use in the next week or so.

Regarding not being able to sit in a used Tesla, I am still just shocked that's their "policy." I worked in the car business selling a luxury brand for 12 years, half of that in management. If a salesperson wasn't willing to run out on the lot in a rainstorm to retrieve a car for a potential customer to see or test drive, you would almost immediately have a pissed off client leaving you a bad review. You had to have that "do whatever it takes" mentality, even if it means ruining a nice pair of shoes to maybe make a sale. That is clearly something that isn't taught or preached to any Tesla employees. Regarding a used Tesla that was produced however many years ago, it sounds stupid to say you have to order a car, that was made back when, for someone else. Maybe Tesla and Turo are in cahoots and getting kickbacks from one another. Nothing would surprise me the way Elon runs the company.

Thanks for all the feedback, very valuable. I recall seeing numbers possibly somewhere else on the forum about number of MX's ordered broken down by trim, color, region, etc. It was not a huge number of cars, I assumed that's just data from forum members voluntarily contributed, not hard data from Tesla. Make's you wonder how many refreshed MX's have been ordered and are awaiting delivery, does anyone have an idea? Glad to hear my order should be a 2022, regardless of whether it arrives in January or not.

Thanks for those that suggested Turo, it is definitely an excellent idea that I will use in the next week or so.

Regarding not being able to sit in a used Tesla, I am still just shocked that's their "policy." I worked in the car business selling a luxury brand for 12 years, half of that in management. If a salesperson wasn't willing to run out on the lot in a rainstorm to retrieve a car for a potential customer to see or test drive, you would almost immediately have a pissed off client leaving you a bad review. You had to have that "do whatever it takes" mentality, even if it means ruining a nice pair of shoes to maybe make a sale. That is clearly something that isn't taught or preached to any Tesla employees. Regarding a used Tesla that was produced however many years ago, it sounds stupid to say you have to order a car, that was made back when, for someone else. Maybe Tesla and Turo are in cahoots and getting kickbacks from one another. Nothing would surprise me the way Elon runs the company.
I think your previous car sales experience is coloring your expectations. As soon as you order, the sales arm is pretty much done. They do have delivery people and some order takers that are on some level of commission, but from what I understand it is nothing like a normal car dealership. So the motivation to close a deal is not intense. Also, they have a product that sells out quarter after quarter.

As far as not having demo models, the Model X has not been produced since very early 2021/late 2020. Previously they usually had a vehicle you could at least sit in and most of the time take a test drive.

And one thing to remember is Tesla has model years, but features go immediately into production when they are available. This can mean a car made one week has features that were not on cars the previous week. And this can be big things like the complete replacement of the computer that powers displays affecting the speed of display update, seats, color combinations, or AP systems.

Umm, your post is on page 142 of a forum thread explicitly about all the people who have ordered the X sight unseen. None of your customer service "whatever it takes to make the customer happy" experience need apply here because Tesla will continue to sell every single car they make. I've never had any Tesla employee be anything but polite with me, but if I ever expected them to react to any whim of mine then I'm sure I'd discover really fast where I fit in their list of number of shits to give.

Hey guys, I'm brand new here but first of all and most importantly, wanted to say thanks for all of the information gathered here and truly appreciate it.

I placed an order for a Black on Black Plaid X, 22, 6 seater, FSD on July 14th. Like many here, first showed a delivery date of January and right now, is showing blank. I will be picking up from the Fremont plant when delivery date comes around. I just entered my info onto the sheet. Crossing my fingers that some of you will start getting their orders!

So, I see a black and a white Model X in the logistics lot (0:16) on the right side (X6 or X7 line number). The black one has silver wheels. Unsure if I see a number in the testing lot - it's extraordinarily hard to make out given the grainy quality and not so hot videography.

Then I saw this video that's...a bit of a head scratcher. I've got no idea where this guy is getting his info from - normally, I consider him reputable.

Last edited:
Yeah 100%, these are the 22s.

I have 22s on my current X, after the 20s changed to black was wondering if I should switch on our new order, but can't go wrong with 22s. As vain as it is, and with the range hit the X just looks best. I really have a hard time seeing how people think silver 20s look good on the X, but again to each their own.
You missed an huge opportunity here... I fixed it for you: "...was wondering if I should switch on our new order, YOU CAN'T LOSE WITH 22s!"

Reactions: Kaos_X and NHK X