Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I see a black and a white Model X in the logistics lot (0:16) on the right side (X6 or X7 line number). The black one has silver wheels. Unsure if I see a number in the testing lot - it's extraordinarily hard to make out given the grainy quality and not so hot videography.

Then I saw this video that's...a bit of a head scratcher. I've got no idea where this guy is getting his info from - normally, I consider him reputable.
This is a fabulous observation. I think this is the first time I’m seeing refresh X in the logistics lot WITH shipping PPF. I wonder if they’re getting ready for deliveries finally.

Oh you can definitely lose with the 22s.. you’ll lose range, you’ll lose tires constantly and you’ll probably lose a smooth ride within a year due to rim warping from bumps
My 2017 X has over 100k miles now, I agree with the range loss (around 10%) but have gone about 40-45k miles between tire changes. Tires have worn pretty evenly. Honestly had a loaner X with 20s recently and driving them back to back marginally louder road noise on mine but overall the ride in terms of bumps wasn’t far different. Handling however, I could feel an immediate difference.

My 2017 X has over 100k miles now, I agree with the range loss (around 10%) but have gone about 40-45k miles between tire changes. Tires have worn pretty evenly. Honestly had a loaner X with 20s recently and driving them back to back marginally louder road noise on mine but overall the ride in terms of bumps wasn’t far different. Handling however, I could feel an immediate difference.
Can you elaborate on the handling 20 vs 22?

Can you elaborate on the handling 20 vs 22?
Hard to describe, but I guess one way to describe it is that the 20s feel slightly more soft and rolly when cornering. Almost like I was driving the X with suspension to normal while the other one was on low. But I had both cars set to low always.

In 22s the car just feels more sure footed, especially if you make a quicker turn. I have a surface street that is pretty high speed that I need to make a right turn on for my daily drive and especially felt it there. And off the line I felt it was a touch more responsive as well. Hope that helps.

I think your previous car sales experience is coloring your expectations. As soon as you order, the sales arm is pretty much done. They do have delivery people and some order takers that are on some level of commission, but from what I understand it is nothing like a normal car dealership. So the motivation to close a deal is not intense. Also, they have a product that sells out quarter after quarter.

As far as not having demo models, the Model X has not been produced since very early 2021/late 2020. Previously they usually had a vehicle you could at least sit in and most of the time take a test drive.

And one thing to remember is Tesla has model years, but features go immediately into production when they are available. This can mean a car made one week has features that were not on cars the previous week. And this can be big things like the complete replacement of the computer that powers displays affecting the speed of display update, seats, color combinations, or AP systems.
I absolutely agree with what you said. Definitely not the traditional auto sales model that's been around for decades.

Another thing that is interesting is doing a trade in with Tesla. Back in June when the new car wheels began to turn, it was mostly motivated by exorbitantly high trade values for used cars. I plugged in the info for my 2020 Ram Limited into a few of the popular we buy your car sites, carvana, vroom, etc. Each of those returned a number higher than what I expected, almost close to what I paid 20 months ago. Carvana and Vroom both asked for details about specific option packages the truck has as a basis for determining the value. For example the truck has $14k in options from the base MSRP to total MSRP with all the packages it has. What's interesting is that plugging the truck into Tesla's website has returned a higher value ($1k-2k) than both Vroom and Carvana, yet they didn't ask for any option packages like the other two sites, it was just basic stuff like color, no accident history, 4x4, nav, etc. If the high demand and low supply continue strong used car values when my EDD arrives, I will trade the truck to the highest bidder which may very well be Tesla. Also makes me wonder, what do they do with their trade ins? You never see anything for sale except used Tesla's online. And it's not like they have a traditional new car dealer website with new inventory, used inventory, CPO, etc. I'd be surprised if they are paying top dollar for trades only to wholesale them at auctions, so where do they go?

• Informative
Reactions: TWENT2
Canadian Luxury Car Tax

Starting January 1st, cars sold for over $100,000 will be subject to a luxury tax, which in my case would add about $9,800 to the cost. (These are Canadian dollars, but still, it's around US$7,500). The Regulations haven't been issued yet, so it is not impossible they might exempt EV cars. Also, it doesn't apply to leases (on the theory that the manufacturer would already be subject to the tax when they deliver the car into Canada and would build the tax cost into the lease) so MAYBE I could switch to a lease if Tesla would still honour the existing no-luxury-tax price (doubtful, but I suppose possible). Also, I could maybe save about $2,000 by dropping FSD and just going on the monthly subscription.

It's all up in the air, but of course would be entirely solved if I could take delivery on or before December 31st! I hope Tesla takes all this into account.... particularly since I ordered back in January (and BTW my EDD had been September but has been blank for several weeks).

Canadian Luxury Car Tax

Starting January 1st, cars sold for over $100,000 will be subject to a luxury tax, which in my case would add about $9,800 to the cost. (These are Canadian dollars, but still, it's around US$7,500). The Regulations haven't been issued yet, so it is not impossible they might exempt EV cars. Also, it doesn't apply to leases (on the theory that the manufacturer would already be subject to the tax when they deliver the car into Canada and would build the tax cost into the lease) so MAYBE I could switch to a lease if Tesla would still honour the existing no-luxury-tax price (doubtful, but I suppose possible). Also, I could maybe save about $2,000 by dropping FSD and just going on the monthly subscription.

It's all up in the air, but of course would be entirely solved if I could take delivery on or before December 31st! I hope Tesla takes all this into account.... particularly since I ordered back in January (and BTW my EDD had been September but has been blank for several weeks).
Damn! More salt to the wound 🤔

Canadian Luxury Car Tax

Same here. Now that the Model S starts delivery to Canada, I feel MX should arrive 1-2 month after delivery starts in the US, there's still chance to get the car by EOY, hopefully.

We ordered our X in Feb 2021. We originally had a delivery date of May and sold our X in April based on the delivery date. Tesla pushed it back until Oct. and now we don’t have any date. Tesla will not return any emails. Do you have any idea of what is happening?

Tesla doesn't believe in communicating with or updating their customers. It's cooler to just surprise you when its ready.

Canadian Luxury Car Tax

This is exactly what i am worried as well. I ordered1st week of February soon after the announcement when the initial delivery date was April. I am really hoping that Tesla canada will be able to somehow convince the management to make sure we get the cars delivered by END OF THIS YEAR. I dont think there will be not many people in canada who would have ordered ModelX when compared to Model S and i am hoping they will prioritize canadian deliveries.

This is exactly what i am worried as well. I ordered1st week of February soon after the announcement when the initial delivery date was April. I am really hoping that Tesla canada will be able to somehow convince the management to make sure we get the cars delivered by END OF THIS YEAR. I dont think there will be not many people in canada who would have ordered ModelX when compared to Model S and i am hoping they will prioritize canadian deliveries.
As an American, I'd be ok letting Canadians get priority to avoid this tax. It's already been 9 months wait anyway... I'm numb to delays nowadays.