Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon is on record stating that quality is worst during ramp-up. Does anyone know how long this takes?
Actually, the full quote is that the quality is best at the very beginning of a ramp up, and at the end of the ramp. We are at the beginning.

Source: Elon Musk says don't buy a Tesla during production ramps for best quality

"Friends ask me, when should they buy a Tesla. Well, either buy it right at the beginning, or when production reaches a steady state," Musk said. "But during that production ramp, it's super hard to be in vertical climb mode and get everything right on the little details. It's just a super difficult thing."

I think that you are missing my point. Tesla always seeks to maximize profit each quarter. The very fact that it is prioritizing six seat configuration is likely because their per-unit profit is higher than on five or sevens. They have even greater incentive to prioritize plaid and FSD cars, both of which clearly have higher profit per unit.

Actually, the full quote is that the quality is best at the very beginning of a ramp up, and at the end of the ramp. We are at the beginning.

Source: Elon Musk says don't buy a Tesla during production ramps for best quality

"Friends ask me, when should they buy a Tesla. Well, either buy it right at the beginning, or when production reaches a steady state," Musk said. "But during that production ramp, it's super hard to be in vertical climb mode and get everything right on the little details. It's just a super difficult thing."

Thanks for the quote. My question is how long is it considered right at the beginning vs being in vertical climb? I would guess that the "right at the beginning" is only the first hundred or so cars.

I think that you are missing my point. Tesla always seeks to maximize profit each quarter. The very fact that it is prioritizing six seat configuration is likely because their per-unit profit is higher than on five or sevens. They have even greater incentive to prioritize plaid and FSD cars, both of which clearly have higher profit per unit.
Yea but people could change their mind and add the full self driving the day after delivery and pay the 10k... you can’t add a 6 seat configuration or a plaid motor after delivery

I am dreading it. It is an answer to a question that no one asked. There is literally nothing better about it. The yoke makes nothing better. I have driven an MS for almost 10 years and have never had a problem seeing the instrument cluster so the argument of better visibility is bupkis. The yoke is there because Elon has the maturity of a 10 year old, he thinks that a yoke is cool and because it increases Tesla's profit margins.

The comments from MS owners are mostly "I got used to it" or "I adapted to it." You shouldn't have to "adapt" to a primary control unless the new control offers a substantial improvement (think virtual keyboards on phones which gave us larger screens for the same physical phone size).

I will get used to it because I have no choice. I want the Performance of Plaid and the additional seats of the X. I will also convince myself that the yoke is better so I can not feel bad about spending $120k.
They cant realize that profit though, only affects cash balance which they are fine

they’ll probably do a price decrease on the FSD right before an increase like in the past to drive the FSD sales before end of quarter.. that’s when I decided to pay for it on my current vehicle
I doubt FSD is going back down any time, especially with the betas out and street FSD getting closer to reality. If Anything you’ll see an increase

Feb 14 Order in Phx MXLR 7 White/Cream
I wonder if deliver location has much to do with who gets a call.

Because...
qARy5x7wGU6ug9ytkkY4zI3bgGchK9tOWBfqN6iynPOJ5lI8SdROnSHBuLWv8FfZR4znwskyThsNPCRGZCA-Q5Fy4saa-hWRve12JNuyExGsG1Io_sG0k_tjcloj6opDtvkkDFVafwdMTBRar6kWkg-0f79IPpL87I8
I ordered a LR 7 seater, white/black in April and my EDD is still blank.......
Still waiting as well in SF Bay Area.

Reactions: TWENT2