Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now that the S has been out...what are people's ACTUAL wait times for those? the S has been out for a little while now so has everyone who ordered them pre-refresh and around the refresh announcement date gotten them or are they still waiting for theirs? If they are still waiting, the fact that Tesla released a few model X's means nothing in terms of possible delivery times for anyone...let alone those that ordered pre-refresh or the date the refresh was announced.

ordered a black model X LR 6 seat 22in jan 27th --> April --> september ---> blank ---> January ---> now blank again

Long time lurker, first time poster. As I recently moved, I decided to call to update the profile and ask about the status through the number provided in the forum and following the steps. Upon updating address on file for registration, young lady said my Model x customers are all waiting and there is no delivery date but let me check for you. She said she was surprised as this is the first time seeing this with Nov 18th as the VIN assign date for me and delivery should take place by December

I ordered in 1/2021 6 seater with MSM, black interior LR with 20" in east coast

Hope this helps others

So I called once again...this time got a guy Mohammad. He said no real updates for me but was excited about the fact that I had a 6 seater as an order. Said hopefully / fingers crossed delivery should be by end of year! Oh and btw he said they update the VINs every week Monday I think. Not certain about the Monday part but he said every week new VINs get assigned so keep checking your online profile

Just called the number, phone tree sequence, and prompt as folks have been doing all day, and I got a VERY helpful person. She wasn't helpful because she KNEW everything... she was helpful because she was willing to go find out for me! She's researching how I can get the call for the 6 seat upgrade etc. She even gave me her email address just in case I had questions. I'll let you know what comes of it, but I'm really hoping to take delivery this year... And if we're switching to 6 seats... we're hoping to switch from White/Cream to Black/Black.

Order: 2/14/21
Details: MX LR White/Cream 7 Seat 20" FSD
EDD: Blank
Fingers: Crossed

Just called the number, phone tree sequence, and prompt as folks have been doing all day, and I got a VERY helpful person. She wasn't helpful because she KNEW everything... she was helpful because she was willing to go find out for me! She's researching how I can get the call for the 6 seat upgrade etc. She even gave me her email address just in case I had questions. I'll let you know what comes of it, but I'm really hoping to take delivery this year... And if we're switching to 6 seats... we're hoping to switch from White/Cream to Black/Black.

Order: 2/14/21
Details: MX LR White/Cream 7 Seat 20" FSD
EDD: Blank
Fingers: Crossed

Whoa that’s a drastic colors switch. You want to go all the way in the opposite direction

I got bored and decided to roll the dice and call the 888 number again. I got a mildly helpful person. I asked all the usual questions, got the usual answers.

One in particular stood out to me. I inquired about deliveries and order dates. She explained to me that deliveries are prioritized first by the availability of the parts in stock to make the car (makes sense) second by the delivery location (what?) and third by your place in line for ordering the car. I asked her to elaborate on part two.. Apparently your car is only queued up to be made once they can confirm a full truck to your delivery location. This actually makes a lot of sense and could explain why someone with say a April order gets their car before someone in February. They aren't going to send a car carrier half way across the country with half a load.
Just another interesting data point for us expecting deliveries!

Whoa that’s a drastic colors switch. You want to go all the way in the opposite direction
LOL yes! We had a bad experience with a black/black car a while ago... A 1996 Nissan Maxima without tinted windows - IN PHOENIX. we burned the backs of our legs too many times to count. We actually kept towels in the car for those particularly hot days. So we vowed. NEVER AGAIN shall we endure such pain and have literally only owned white cars since - Even though we PREFER the black car... we went with white.

This past summer we picked up a used 2016 MX and realized that the cabin NEVER GETS WARMER Than 90 (#cabinoverheatprotection) even in the heat of summer!!!
We're getting a car that won't let us burn our legs off! So, we're hoping to get the call and make the switch. :D

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I got bored and decided to roll the dice and call the 888 number again. I got a mildly helpful person. I asked all the usual questions, got the usual answers.

One in particular stood out to me. I inquired about deliveries and order dates. She explained to me that deliveries are prioritized first by the availability of the parts in stock to make the car (makes sense) second by the delivery location (what?) and third by your place in line for ordering the car. I asked her to elaborate on part two.. Apparently your car is only queued up to be made once they can confirm a full truck to your delivery location. This actually makes a lot of sense and could explain why someone with say a April order gets their car before someone in February. They aren't going to send a car carrier half way across the country with half a load.
Just another interesting data point for us expecting deliveries!
Seems strange... aren't they loading up M3s and MYs all over the country? The truck doesn't need to be all one car type right?
(I literally know NOTHING about car hauling)

Seems strange... aren't they loading up M3s and MYs all over the country? The truck doesn't need to be all one car type right?
(I literally know NOTHING about car hauling)
They are! We havent seen a Fremont Flyover video in some time but you can see in the delivery lot they mix the types of cars loaded onto the carriers.
The point here though.. If you live in a super remote location you may be out of luck for a while.

Wonder if anyone who just took delivery had paid the original base price(pre 10k hike) or pre-refresh base price. It seems odd they prioritize the 6-seater, I cant imagine their margins being that much higher, and considering theres almost a perfect 33% take rate for each of the configurations, it seems they would just deliver 1/3 as many cars as they could had they mixed it up
I can just hear it on the Fremont factory floor, about a week ago:

Jimmy saying: "Hey Joe, the big boss wants us to put out some Xs for the Earnings meeting"

Joe: "Come on, man... we don't have any parts for that car yet, all we have are some odds and ends from last year and the trial runs..."

Jimmy: "HE doesn't give a s--t! He just F---ing wants a few cars sold before Wednesday!"

Joe, scratching the back of his head: "Well, I guess we can slap something together - we can even borrow some parts from S car inventory... But I will tell you what, they are all going to be white and they are all going to be six seaters! Tell the MAN, that's the best we can do"

Jimmy: "Great! just make sure you put them together on the graveyard shift, when no one's around! And have them ready by Saturday!"

Everyone is complaining that they are waiting so long for their MX. I ordered one two days ago and it already arrived.

Did you get FSD?
1634598348926.jpeg

Is it pretty certain that a MX produced this month will have a 2021 VIN and anything that roles off the line after Nov 1 will have a 2022 VIN?
I am thinking along the same lines... so I examined the information on my existing Model X.

It was built in the 1st week of December (1st charge in Fremont is recorded as Dec 7, 2017), unfortunately, the VIN has an H in the 10th digit, which means that it is a 2017 model car.

Even if VIN was assigned a couple of weeks earlier, it would still be in November...

Based on this one data point, I would say the car has to get its' VIN assigned no earlier than December... and even then you would have to examine that number before deciding to take delivery....

I am thinking along the same lines... so I examined the information on my existing Model X.

It was built in the 1st week of December (1st charge in Fremont is recorded as Dec 7, 2017), unfortunately, the VIN has an H in the 10th digit, which means that it is a 2017 model car.

Even if VIN was assigned a couple of weeks earlier, it would still be in November...

Based on this one data point, I would say the car has to get its' VIN assigned no earlier than December... and even then you would have to examine that number before deciding to take delivery....
I think this changed recently as in the last couple of years. I could be wrong.

At this point while I would obviously rather get the later VIN, it certainly won't impact my decision to accept the vehicle, especially if it means loosing my 12k discount and/or getting on the back of the line....

Reactions: Yakkodot
I think this changed recently as in the last couple of years. I could be wrong.
I hope you are right... let's have someone on the forum volunteer the same information from a later model year car (X would be great, but any other model would be welcome...).

We are looking for a car that was assigned a VIN in November or December, and had a delivery in very late December or anytime in January or February... Something that is model year 2020 would be best....