Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this all just a scam to get an extra $6500 from customers who should have already had their vehicles delivered? Probably. Does it piss me off? Yup. But, I’m sick of waiting and when the car does finally show up, I’m pretty sure I’ll love it, no matter how pissed I am at Tesla. And I guess that’s why they keep getting away with this sh¡t…

I think there’s way, way too much attribution to malice when simple logistics explains it all.

Bear in mind that Model S & X are not separate lines at Fremont. You’re competing for resources — not just among X variations, but S ones, as well.

The most logistical, simple answer is that they’ve got plenty of monopost seats available to run a full batch of cars, and not enough benches to go around yet.

It takes time and effort to switch the line from, say, “S Plaid” to “X LR 6-seat”. So when you do make that switch, you need that production run to be full. My guess (and I have no inside info — it’s just a guess!) is that’s what’s happening.

Much less nefarious and more about keeping the assembly line moving.

Logistics ain’t easy. Logistics when the global supply chain is collapsing REALLY ain’t easy!

When I ordered my Model S Plaid, I got my VIN and delivery notification on Wednesday. Today is a Wednesday. I’m just sayin’…
Hope you're right, but as much as I'd like to think that just maybe there will be an announcement tonight, I'm just not going to hold my breath. Odds are, I'll jinx it anyway. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel now.

Hope you're right, but as much as I'd like to think that just maybe there will be an announcement tonight, I'm just not going to hold my breath. Odds are, I'll jinx it anyway. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel now.
i see that you are from Torornto and your signature says that you have 7 seater. Did you receive the call for 6 seater as. well? i have Feb order with 6 seater white with black int and FSD . i am hoping to receive ours by end of this year to avoid luxury tax.

I think there’s way, way too much attribution to malice when simple logistics explains it all.

Bear in mind that Model S & X are not separate lines at Fremont. You’re competing for resources — not just among X variations, but S ones, as well.

The most logistical, simple answer is that they’ve got plenty of monopost seats available to run a full batch of cars, and not enough benches to go around yet.

It takes time and effort to switch the line from, say, “S Plaid” to “X LR 6-seat”. So when you do make that switch, you need that production run to be full. My guess (and I have no inside info — it’s just a guess!) is that’s what’s happening.

Much less nefarious and more about keeping the assembly line moving.

Logistics ain’t easy. Logistics when the global supply chain is collapsing REALLY ain’t easy!
I strongly disagree agree! I believe the fact they are calling order holders with 5/7 seat configuration to change to a 6 seat without offering a discount demonstrates their intent. The X is their highest margin car. The 6 seat is a crazy $6,500.00 dripping with profit. Q4 / end of year numbers are the only driver here.

If you were correct and somehow they had a glut of 6 seat materials at the ready but not enough orders to justify a full run why not add an incentive to the request to switch from 5/7 to 6 seater? it’s because the bottom line is all that matters. We have demonstrated our willingness to sit patiently and wait. Some of us have jumped at the opportunity to change and get the car ASAP. Others need the utility of the 5/7 seater and have to wait. Customers like me are tapped out budget wise. I can barely afford the $8,000.00 increase to my 2020 order That happened in January. As I told Tesla when they called, if you want to make my 5 seater a 6 seater so you can move inventory I’ll take it. If you want me to pay an extra $6,500.00 you’re out of your mind! I don’t have that kind of money just laying around. I guess it’s good for Tesla’s 4th quarter that others do.

Tesla is going to have a serious problem coming up when Giga Berlin and Texas burn through their order backlog. Once all the Fan Girls / Boys get their new model car and Tesla needs regular customers to buy inventory. Paint issues, fit and finish issues along with general poor customer service/ experience is going to have a real impact. If I could have bought and taken delivery of a Rivian RS1 in June, I would have canceled my X In a heartbeat. Once customers have alternatives for 300+ mile BEVs somethings gonna need to change at Tesla. I’m a customer, I have a Tesla 8.19kWh solar panel array with 2 powerwall2s. While that equipment is great my customer experience with Tesla Energy has sucked. I am praying this Model X will be as solid as my solar & batterie.

i see that you are from Torornto and your signature says that you have 7 seater. Did you receive the call for 6 seater as. well? i have Feb order with 6 seater white with black int and FSD . i am hoping to receive ours by end of this year to avoid luxury tax.
Yes, I had the call last week. I'll be switching my signature once I get confirmation on my account,but haven't received any email or update on the config thus far. I'm waiting until tomorrow (after the Earnings call today) to see if anything happens, then will contact them again to get an idea of what's happening. I was told to expect a December delivery (and, yes, hoping to get it to avoid the luxury tax).

Love how some members here have zero knowledge of how manufacturing works and think Tesla has ill intent. As someone in manufacturing, it’s not easy. Far from it. Add a pandemic and it’s hell. Some companies make it look easy but I promise you it’s not. Then you have the logistics side of manufacturing that plays a huge role.

In other news, my January has once again disappeared. A blank means absolutely nothing but I prefer it to a set month next year.

I strongly disagree agree! I believe the fact they are calling order holders with 5/7 seat configuration to change to a 6 seat without offering a discount demonstrates their intent. The X is their highest margin car. The 6 seat is a crazy $6,500.00 dripping with profit. Q4 / end of year numbers are the only driver here.

If you were correct and somehow they had a glut of 6 seat materials at the ready but not enough orders to justify a full run why not add an incentive to the request to switch from 5/7 to 6 seater? it’s because the bottom line is all that matters. We have demonstrated our willingness to sit patiently and wait. Some of us have jumped at the opportunity to change and get the car ASAP. Others need the utility of the 5/7 seater and have to wait. Customers like me are tapped out budget wise. I can barely afford the $8,000.00 increase to my 2020 order That happened in January. As I told Tesla when they called, if you want to make my 5 seater a 6 seater so you can move inventory I’ll take it. If you want me to pay an extra $6,500.00 you’re out of your mind! I don’t have that kind of money just laying around. I guess it’s good for Tesla’s 4th quarter that others do.

Tesla is going to have a serious problem coming up when Giga Berlin and Texas burn through their order backlog. Once all the Fan Girls / Boys get their new model car and Tesla needs regular customers to buy inventory. Paint issues, fit and finish issues along with general poor customer service/ experience is going to have a real impact. If I could have bought and taken delivery of a Rivian RS1 in June, I would have canceled my X In a heartbeat. Once customers have alternatives for 300+ mile BEVs somethings gonna need to change at Tesla. I’m a customer, I have a Tesla 8.19kWh solar panel array with 2 powerwall2s. While that equipment is great my customer experience with Tesla Energy has sucked. I am praying this Model X will be as solid as my solar & batterie.

Why would you give the product away? Dilutes the value for everyone. For Tesla, for the owners, for resale. You open a tremendous can of worms that way. Every single person that comes after will use the “but you did it for them” line …

Even the 6 seater is constrained. It’s not like they’re perishable — this isn’t like a restaurant doing a 2-for-1 on the chicken before it goes bad tomorrow.

I do agree, Tesla’s communication skills need work. No question there. Service can be spotty; I’m lucky I have several excellent service centers nearby, but I realize that’s not universal. There needs to be some serious attention given there, no doubt.

But the product itself is good. I love competition and hope the best for Rivian - that R1S is gorgeous - but I don’t think there’s going to be this sudden dry up of demand. Ask any high schooler today what they want to drive. They don’t say Lamborghini or Ferrari anymore; they say Tesla.

Paint issues and panel gaps are blown WAY WAY out of proportion. Most people couldn’t give a damn less and wouldn’t know the difference. If you’re flaw hunting, look hard enough at ANY product and eventually you’ll find what you’re looking for.

I sympathize with the financial pain but the reality is, you don’t give away product when you don’t have to. And it’s abundantly clear they don’t have to. If you don’t want to pay for the 6-seater, no worries at all — but also means this isn’t your time yet. It’s not a punishment by any means; just means you don’t get an opportunity to move up to the current batch, that’s all.

If Tesla added an incentive to switch to 5/7 buyers, they would have to offer the same price decrease to original 6-seat buyers.

Last edited:
When you get a call to upgrade to 6 seater, are they asking you to paying the full price i.e. $6,500, not discounted price???

Also people who got the call about 6 seater upgrade, could you please update the order tracking spread sheet?
The 6 seat configuration is a $6,500 USD upgrade from base pricing (5 seats is standard base pricing). The seven seat option is a $3,500 USD upgrade from standard pricing. If they call you to upgrade to 6 seats, and you currently have 5, they will charge you $6,500; If you currently have seven, they will charge you $3,000.

The 6 seat configuration is a $6,500 USD upgrade from base pricing (5 seats is standard base pricing). The seven seat option is a $3,500 USD upgrade from standard pricing. If they call you to upgrade to 6 seats, and you currently have 5, they will charge you $6,500; If you currently have seven, they will charge you $3,000.
Thx for clarifying.

In 6 seat configuration, can adults sit comfortably in second and third row seats? assuming all the seats are occupied by adults.

Meanwhile there are 500 people behind you that are willing to pay 6500 for their 6 seater as ordered.
Dont take the offer, let the next person have their 6 seater X.

Thx for clarifying.

In 6 seat configuration, can adults sit comfortably in second and third row seats? assuming all the seats are occupied by adults.
Mt previous 2016 Model X was a 6 seater. Adults can easily comfortably fit in the second row captains seats. They can mostly fit in the 3rd row if they put their feet between the second row seats. It's fine for a drive to dinner, but wouldn't be comfortable for a 5 hour drive to Las Vegas.