Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder with the reach out for converting 5/7 seat orders to 6 seats if everyone who originally ordered a 6 seater is in the production queue and now they are reaching out to other buyers based on order date OR are they just going through the orders based on order date so a 5 seat order from March gets contacted to convert to 6 seater before an original 6 seat order from June gets in the production queue.
I think that's exactly right. They're probably going back to the furthest placed orders and moving forward with a stop maybe in March or something. Anyone AFTER March stays in their place in line, but anyone who ordered a 5 or 7 seater before that time is being contacted and asked if they'd like to convert to take earlier delivery. It's 2 fold... Tesla takes care of their oldest reservation holders AND takes in more revenue when they convert those into 6 seat orders. This is just my speculation though, damn near impossible to try and figure out exactly why Tesla does what they do 😞

Reactions: retco
8:12 of this video is only mention of Model X. It was indeed brief and underwhelming.

…and if you listen to the few seconds that follow, it strongly suggests that demand for the Model X has exceeded expectations and they are anticipating future deliveries will be GREATER than in the past.

Edit: which kinda goes along with the “Order now for delivery on about a year!” The demand is unprecedented.

Reactions: Tezhed9802
Dont you all see it? It is very clear. Tesla does not have enough orders to start the line, but they cannot keep delaying to infinity, so they have to call and ask people to switch to 6 seats to have a minimum required number to start the production. When you guys changing to 6 seaters, either the number of 5 seaters or 7 seaters will reduce and they wont ever be able to start the production on 5 or 7 seaters.

I called today spoke with a nice guy, he said you have to wait for the call. I ordered in July he said my call would “be a few weeks”. I really want the 6 seats that’s what I have now.
Thank you! I finally got The Call today, too; I accepted the 6-seat upgrade, but also downgraded to 20” wheels, resulting in a net increase of $1k. :)

Growing pangs. Ordered a Model X on 2/6/21, LR, Blue, 5 seater. Early on, I asked what the trade in value would be for my 90DMX, Tesla offered $54,000. The rep told me that I wouldn't have to turn it in before taking delivery because "we don't want you to be without a car." Talked it over with my financial planner and he suggested I go ahead and sell it if I could get a better price and share SO's car for a couple of months. With COVID, we weren't running around much, so why not. At the time, I was expecting delivery in April. I did shop around a little, found a better offer and sold the MX. Allowing for Elon Time, I figured I would get it around June. I made the decision to go ahead and sell, that's on me. I fault Elon for his overly optimistic declarations of when deliveries would start. We don't call it Elon Time for nothing.
I have a similar story. I don't know why Tesla doesn't offer a fair trade-in value for people upgrading to a new model. I sold my 2018 MX to Carvana in August, when my delivery date for the refresh was still October. Now I'm borrowing cars from my wife and kids.

Dont you all see it? It is very clear. Tesla does not have enough orders to start the line, but they cannot keep delaying to infinity, so they have to call and ask people to switch to 6 seats to have a minimum required number to start the production. When you guys changing to 6 seaters, either the number of 5 seaters or 7 seaters will reduce and they wont ever be able to start the production on 5 or 7 seaters.
Unlikely. I know many of my friends with 6 seat orders are waiting...

Sounds like Plaids are still a few months out. Both the electrek article previously posted "LR first" and the delivery S&OP manager I spoke to at the X delivery event mentioned that Plaids are still not quite ready due to regulatory approvals.

Does anyone know anything about getting The Call with a Plaid on order?

I think that's exactly right. They're probably going back to the furthest placed orders and moving forward with a stop maybe in March or something. Anyone AFTER March stays in their place in line, but anyone who ordered a 5 or 7 seater before that time is being contacted and asked if they'd like to convert to take earlier delivery. It's 2 fold... Tesla takes care of their oldest reservation holders AND takes in more revenue when they convert those into 6 seat orders. This is just my speculation though, damn near impossible to try and figure out exactly why Tesla does what they do 😞
The weird thing is if they wanted all 6 seats they could just add a button on the order with, “I want priority and will take a 6 seater” — but then someone is going to pocket order the 6 seater 🤣

Sounds like Plaids are still a few months out. Both the electrek article previously posted "LR first" and the delivery S&OP manager I spoke to at the X delivery event mentioned that Plaids are still not quite ready due to regulatory approvals.

Does anyone know anything about getting The Call with a Plaid on order?
Thank you for the info from the event as well. I’ve been looking for the same info regarding plaid orders. I think someone in the thread got a call for the seat change to a 6 seater from a 7 on a plaid order. I believe all plaid EDDs are blank, haven’t seen anyone confirm anywhere they have any delivery details.

So only downside to 6 seater over 7 is that 2nd row doesn't fold. ?
If you amortize the amount of times I ever folded the 2nd row seats in our 2017 MX, I saved about $750 each time. Pretty sure it was only to load up my winter tires and haul them to the service center for swapping. I definitely was tempted to switch when I got The Call, but the kicker was we are smack in the middle of a home refinance so I just need another four weeks to be out of “exactly what is this thing on your account” hell.