Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well since they promised many of us delivery this year, I suppose they would at least need to call us and offer us to change back to our original seating configs if they aren’t going to keep that promise. My gut says this is just another Tesla “sugar” show and the monkey 🙈 just slapped the wrong input key last night
It’s genius. They put everyone as Jan or later then deliver some this year. The headlines will read : TESLA DELIVERS MODEL X REFRESH AHEAD OF ESTIMATE!

Either way, when I go to resell the car, I will want the later year. If you have a buyer searching for a Tesla and there are two identical cars (config, miles, etc) they are looking at with but one is a ‘21 and the other is a ‘22, they will pick the ‘22 if everything else is the same. As the seller, you won’t have the chance to sit and explain to them that it doesn’t matter. People just want stuff that seems newer and the model year is the first thing they filter on for that.
That is the point. You cannot assume they are the same even within a model year.

Say someone wants to buy a 2018 Model X because they "know" it has MCU 2 that makes everything so much faster. But, Tesla did not switch to MCU 2 until mid-March 2018. Would they as buyers, think you ripped them off when the center display is jerky and slow? And also, how will they feel when Tesla wants $1000 to upgrade the Feb 2018 car to MCU 2?

Last edited:
That is the point. You cannot assume they are the same even within a model year.

Say someone wants to buy a 2018 Model X because they "know" it has MCU 2 that makes everything so much faster. But, Tesla did not switch to MCU 2 until mid-March 2018. Would they as buyers, think you ripped them off when the center display is jerky and slow? And also, how will they feel when Tesla wants $1000 to upgrade the Feb 2018 car to MCU 2?
That's why he said, everything else being equal. For sure if you're looking for specific features, you'd look beyond the year.

Here is a million dollar question.
If you get a VIN assigned and it's 2021 instead of 2022, would you take delivery or wait to get 2022 vin?
My first thought is WAIT! But then I realize that I plan to have this car for more than 10 years, so when it actually comes time to selling it... Miles will matter much more than the year. I had my 2007 Prius for 13 years and when I ran KBB to get selling valuation, I accidentally put in 2008. When I noticed, and changed the date to 2007... there wasn't a difference in price because there was no appreciable difference in model.

My first thought is WAIT! But then I realize that I plan to have this car for more than 10 years, so when it actually comes time to selling it... Miles will matter much more than the year. I had my 2007 Prius for 13 years and when I ran KBB to get selling valuation, I accidentally put in 2008. When I noticed, and changed the date to 2007... there wasn't a difference in price because there was no appreciable difference in model.
I think that's because it's a Prius. Once Dirty Mike and the Boys get a hold of it, it cannot depreciate further.

How would the buyer know month of production since the VIN determines the model year and I will be surprised if the VINs that come out for any deliveries in 2021 don't show 2022 model year. For my Y that I will be selling once my X arrives, since midway through the 2021 model year they changed the center console & added heated steering wheels, buyers will know I have an earlier build 2021 Y vs a later build but without those changes, the VIN will only show model year.

Personally I have had an early production X and Y and I find Tesla makes changes after the first few months of production when quality issues are ironed out (I had May 2020 Y that had too many quality issues that I traded in for a November built Y). Even though I want my X ASAP & would take one next week, logically I know its better to wait for a spring build when they get the line issues fixed and the quality increases .
The X’s that have been delivered so far have 2021 VINs.

And to your point about getting kinks worked out, savvy buyers may prefer the 22’s over 21’s thinking they aren’t the very first refresh builds and have less issues.

And to your point about getting kinks worked out, savvy buyers may prefer the 22’s over 21’s thinking they aren’t the very first refresh builds and have less issues.
The very first batch (before ramp up) may actually have better quality. The worst are the ones produced DURING ramp up.

Last edited:
Me from the future went back to the past.

Future me: I know you're excited... but I hate to tell you that your Model X is not going to be delivered in May. I know what you're thinking, your "estimated delivery date" says May... but it's not going to happen. In fact, it'll change to October, and then go blank, and then change to January. You're going to meet some pretty cool foks on TMC, but you're not going to get your car until *ahem*December*ahem* - I encourage you to take the $120,000 you were planning on spending on the car and buy Tesla Stock. TRUST ME.

Past me: Ummm, okay. I trust you, you handsome devil. (buys 213 shares of $TSLA on March 8 for $563 / share)

Current me: Yeah buddy! (checks Fidelity account to see $218,000 - buys MX with $100,000 left over)

- Just trying to imagine this wait being worth it -

FWIW - I have PROOF (292 pages of it) that says Estimated Delivery Dates don't matter. In fact, we've all bonded over the fact that EDDs don't matter. We've analyzed and dismissed them, we've held candles to them and mourned their passing, and here we are... and the most hopeful we've ever been, tying our emotions to the EDDs.

If you're upset about your January EDD - don't worry. It's likely not going to stay there. If you're excited about your January EDD - enjoy the excitement, but know that it's likely not going to stay there. If you're pumped to do sleuthing and sleuthing helps you pass the time - by all means sleuth away. As for me and my house... we're going to enjoy that Hertz is buying 100,000 Teslas - that's a great situation for overall EV adoption. Hertz is going to lead the way, others will follow. More people will TRY Teslas, more people will LOVE Teslas. AND (hopefully) more airports will have more superchargers ;)

All of this to say, I've enjoyed waiting with you all :)

I would have just taken the car rather than risk not getting it before the new year.
Perhaps. I thought about that and then simply suing them in small claims court for the difference. But I had a SA who was communicating directly with the factory. It was very poor business practice on the part of Tesla. I have custom ordered @ 10 cars - Ford and Chevy. Never had any experiences remotely like this. Great car but the buying experience left a lot to be desired. Many don't have experiences ordering cars and may think this is normal - it is not.

Perhaps. I thought about that and then simply suing them in small claims court for the difference. But I had a SA who was communicating directly with the factory. It was very poor business practice on the part of Tesla. I have custom ordered @ 10 cars - Ford and Chevy. Never had any experiences remotely like this. Great car but the buying experience left a lot to be desired. Many don't have experiences ordering cars and may think this is normal - it is not.
Try ordering custom from any maker right now. We're still in a pandemic with massive shortages.

Most professional buyers ask for the build date on the door jam. They can figure price to offer from that.

Aware private buyers will do the same. The Model year matters, but so does the month.

I imagine that Tesla will be trying to deliver every produced car by EOY. Those in line and within a days drive to Fremont might get calls near then to accept slightly different configurations.

Also imagine that about that time there will be clarity as to Federal tax credit/rebates with dates and qualifications.

Could get interesting between Christmas and New Years.

It is getting this way with parts in short supply. My F-150 Lighting slipped a year. GM was down 200,000 vehicle deliveries because of supply issues in Q3. The good news parts are starting to show up and they don't have slip too many 2021 models deliveries into 2022.