Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG THIS 1000% lol! You as a person who's worked hard for what you've got shouldn't be punished for buying a more expensive vehicle lol. I know 99% if not 100% people here have most likely worked their asses off for these cars, so why cut them off? It's supposed to be an incentive right? Oh well lol what are you gonna do? :)
I agree as well. Just because I can afford a $100k vehicle doesn’t mean I won’t appreciate a $8k rebate.

Thanks. Good video. Yea I see the $69k SUV cap definitely eliminates us. Makes sense. Can’t complain. While I would’ve loved the cash back, nobody actually needs help if you’re buying a $120k car.

Also, if I’m understanding it correctly, that would mean Model Y’s delivered next year would qualify for $8k right? That makes it really interesting for people on the fence between an X and Y.
I would disagree with first paragraph. If this incentive was titled help every American afford a car then absolutely. This is actually trying to convince every and all people to buy EV to affect climate change. If you can afford 30k car maybe this gets you to buy a model 3. Or if you are looking to buy a Cayenne or Range Rover or Lamborghini maybe this convinces you to get an Lucid Air or MX plaid instead. This is why I don’t think battery hybrids nor an income/vehicle price limit should be imposed if the true goal is to advance EV adoption

Not under the new “exclude Tesla model X” (not explicitly named so) IRS rule. See earlier in this thread.
I went all the way back to 300 and don't see what you're referencing, unless you're just speaking to the tax credit. We definitely won't receive the tax credit, but we will receive bonus depreciation per all my research and consultation with my CPA. If there's evidence to the contrary, please let me know

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hindsight is 20/20.
You can get heinzsight from this too.

20211030_165707436_iOS.jpg

Oh I agree with the small run thing! It's just they have iterated countless times that it will be Y and CT first, and everything after. There are only so many batteries, and the main limiting factor for EVs is not demand or price, but battery production. After everything is running, sure they could do a 4680 S and X, but I wouldn't bet on it being too soon. I used to have this same hypothesis, but after seeing the amount of changes and hard work put into the new S and X packs, I'm very sure they need their investments filled. This new pack isn't a nudge for the 18650s, it's a new breath of life entirely. The new packs are completely different, and a marvel in battery engineering themselves.
In the long run, model Y and CT will make a bigger ddifference. 4680 battery would play a major role. However, initially, Tesla won't be able to produce enough 4680 batteries to make a dent for Model Y and CT.

On the other hand, 4680 batteries are Elon's only hope to knockout Lucid for good regarding range and performance for Model S and X. You know Elon would love to do it regardless of cost.

I promise to stay posting on here at least until deliveries ramp up. I've been on the forums since the model 3 ramp up in early 2018 (although I tend to just read and not post). I've screenshotted a few questions I've seen on here to answer once I get the car. Also I won't be surprised if someone here surprises me at delivery day, hah.

Surprise you with a bottle of Champagne? And if you get too tipsy, don’t worry. I can drive you home in your new X. 😄

Reactions: TWENT2
On the other hand, 4680 batteries are Elon's only hope to knockout Lucid for good regarding range and performance for Model S and X. You know Elon would love to do it regardless of cost.
Agreed. I think he would. However, although I think Lucid's range has most likely slightly irritated Tesla and definitely Elon, I'm not expecting them to move on that. I think Tesla will need a real jab to move on range.
That jab I expect to come from Lucid in the form of the Air/Gravity Tri-Motor, which will likely have more range than the Plaid, and be notably faster. (Likely really near or at high 8s in the quarter).
That will probably get Tesla moving, as it is a double whammy. Better range and better performance from a competitor; that's when I would expect to see performance and range boosts for the Plaid S and maybe X too.
If you watch the Plaid closely, you will begin to see that it is not operating anywhere near its full potential. Tesla has slammed down the benchmark, and now they're waiting for competition. The MS and X have it in them; they just haven't been called upon to show that full performance..... That Air Tri Motor can't come soon enough, and I hope it's unveiled next year so that Tesla will respond! :)

Last edited:
I really appreciate the heads up. If I find something I will definitely let you kno
I really appreciate the heads up. If I find something I will definitely let you know.
After a basic search, it appears as though 100% bonus depreciation is still valid through 2023 on SUVs over 6000 pounds.
Trust me
I was pi**ed and TOTALLY bummed.
But somebody mentioned some other legal route which I’d never heard of. Please give pointers if you find a way. 🙏🏻
It looks like we will be solid if we are utilizing bonus depreciation under section 168k vs using the section 179 deduction. I would love a CPA to weigh in here, but that's my interpretation.

I know they’re just EPA estimates but damn man. Really bummed to be going backwards. I don’t understand how we go from 371 (rated at least) to 348 with supposedly less weight and more efficient motors.
Yeah
I know it’s hard to walk the walk though it’s easy to talk big…

But I need towing range. I am waiting for an X with real towing range (greater than 200 miles).
A 300-ish mile range vehicle becomes 100ish miles at below-speed-limit speeds, followed by 20-60 minute stops at superchargers. I’ve been there, done that with a LR Y on a 1300 mile trip.

I had a good time. But this is coming from somebody who early on in life determined to always appreciate anything good I could see in a situation… I grew up so far below poverty level that a broken toy from the thrift store was a thrilling gift.

Basically any real cross-country towing with these new specs is not feasible without all-out commitment. To approach gas functionality you need more range.

Continuing to wait….