Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just dawned on me... With all of those built MX's sitting in the lot (from the flyover video) wouldn't that mean that a bunch of people got Vin numbers? I thought accounts got assigned VIN numbers as soon as the vehicle was built..........So even if these are missing a part or 2 shouldn't the owners have gotten VINs once it came off the line?

I just find it odd that in the population of orders on this forum and reddit, we have only seen 2 people getting VIN numbers.

What he said... Since you ordered the Rivian, any feedback or estimated delivery date (hahaha)? I've tried, unsuccessfully, to try to get a ballpark estimate, however, they are also being very coy and evasive.
I have tried calling several times and they are extremely friendly, but every bit as quiet as Tesla was up until they started telling people December of this year. In summary, no real information.

I am past the mad/frustrated stage, but my experience mirrors the above summary.

I originally decided to sell my 2018 P100D because I was having a LOT of MCU and computer related problems. I pleaded with Tesla to fix them and they refused. I realized that the price had dropped substantially since I bought my 2018 (which I bought in Q1, right before they upgraded the MCU's), so if I sold my MX and simply bought a new one, I'd get the new MCU and infotainment tech at a dramatically lower price. No brainer.

When I started working on it with local SA's, I learned of the refresh rumors. Icing on the cake. I was concerned about price increases and brought it up with my SA's. They assured me I would be "grandfathered" on price. Refresh gets announced and to get a comparable vehicle, I would actually be paying 20k more than anticipated (30k if I wanted FSD). Massive kick in the rocks. I had no choice, as I had already sold my MX. I reluctantly agreed to it - at least I'd be getting back into a new MX fairly soon. That was January 2021. Well, at least I had a pre-refresh order date. The plot thickens.

As you can imagine, I was frustrated and expressed this to my SA numerous times. That was at a time when we all actually thought our SA's could in some way be useful. Mine took my ire as a request to cancel my order and he went ahead and cancelled it. So, on top of all the frustration, if I wanted to buy the MX, I would have to re-order it, get in the back of the line and lose the $2k bone discount they threw at pre-refresh reservation holders. That's where I sit now.

It has all been incredibly frustrating, and as many have pointed out, there are unfortunately, no great alternatives. I did reserve a Rivian R1S in March as a hedge, but don't expect to see that any time in the near future.

Thanks for listening, my friends.....
The pre-refresh price for LR was 10k below the initial refreshed price, 25k below the current price. Tesla didn't give you the pre-refresh price? Somehow they accept the initial refresh price.

Reactions: Fulkth
Before you give tax advice read IRS Publication 946, Chapter 2 Sport Utility Vehicles.
I read that publication, and then did further research. There are multiple depreciation methods, this is specifically referring to section 179. I trust that my CPA is correct in the assessment that it can be fully depreciated in year one; just not with a section 179.

I am not a CPA, so do your own research.

Last edited:
I read that publication, and then did further research. There are multiple depreciation methods, this is specifically referring to section 179. I trust that my CPA is correct in the assessment that it can be fully depreciated in year one; just not with a section 179.

I am not a CPA, so do your own research.
Can we just assume free info/advice, i.e. no compensation involved will not bear any responsibility here? ;)

Can we just assume free info/advice, i.e. no compensation involved will not bear any responsibility here? ;)

"Special rules for heavy SUVs: The Section 179 deduction generally is barred for vehicles. However, for those weighing more than 6,000 pounds — many SUVs meet this weight threshold — there’s a limited dollar amount ($25,900 in 2020). This can be combined with bonus depreciation, effectively allowing the entire cost of a vehicle to be deducted up front."

"Special rules for heavy SUVs: The Section 179 deduction generally is barred for vehicles. However, for those weighing more than 6,000 pounds — many SUVs meet this weight threshold — there’s a limited dollar amount ($25,900 in 2020). This can be combined with bonus depreciation, effectively allowing the entire cost of a vehicle to be deducted up front."
This is basically what I was told, but since I am not a CPA, didn't want to get into the weeds on it. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
That's interesting. That implied the floor dimensions/setup have changed. So far, no report on that.
This is why I asked. The video from OCDetailing made it seem like it was all exactly the same. I can imagine there being some minor differences for the front seats because of the center console with the charging pads, etc.

I guess I will just wait for now though. I just don't want to wait too long and then have them all sold out when refresh orders start rolling out.

I had the same question about the 20" snow chains. One SA told me that they wouldn't work for the refresh X and then after getting feedback from the service team, they will work with the refresh X 20" tires.

Thanks @Stro !

Reactions: Stro
This has me wondering...I ordered my 6 seater in August 2021. My estimated delivery says APRIL. How could your 7 seat March order arrive around the same time? And will they switch to 5 and 7 seaters before going to newer 6 seat orders? I wonder what the cutoff point would be for 6 seaters before they tackle the 5's and 7s?
The caller mentioned to me that there is a long queue for him to call to ask the decision about switching to 6 seater so he was not sure whether he can pick up my callback when I asked if I could call him back the second day so that I can have some time to think about it.

My guess is they will get as many orders as possible to get onboard 6 seater, so you probably have a pretty good chance to get your 6 seater earlier than 5/7 seater.

BTW the caller also told me their system shows that they have tried contacted me a few weeks ago, but I am pretty sure I didn't miss any call since October.

Reactions: Fulkth
This is why I asked. The video from OCDetailing made it seem like it was all exactly the same. I can imagine there being some minor differences for the front seats because of the center console with the charging pads, etc.

I guess I will just wait for now though. I just don't want to wait too long and then have them all sold out when refresh orders start rolling out.

I had the same question about the 20" snow chains. One SA told me that they wouldn't work for the refresh X and then after getting feedback from the service team, they will work with the refresh X 20" tires.

Thanks @Stro !
The rear/mid seat might be different because of the console also. It looks a bit bigger. Perhaps to hold the rear screen.