Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20211110_065356803.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211110_065149844.jpg
    PXL_20211110_065149844.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 75
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the left thing? Is that the tow hook, or something else?
Tow hitch receiver:

Tow hitch receiver:

It's time to change your signature on the forum now btw ! :D Congratulations again; what a b-day treat to get!

If it's the receiver only, then... The X doesn't include the hitch(/hook?) itself?
I have a feeling, but do not hold me to it, that the tow hitch receiver is US specific. I have never seen anything like this in the EU at all and from what I can tell; the EU models get the towing hook (ball) as opposed to a hitch. See Tow hitch - Wikipedia as well for the difference per part of the world.

Outside of North America, the ISO standard tow ball that has been adopted in most of the world is 50 mm (1+31⁄32 in) in diameter and conforms to a standard BS AU 113b (replaced by BS ISO[9] 1103:2007[10]). With a minor modification, it was published by UNECE on 15 June 2018, as class A

The Model X instruction vid specifically says this as well (Note, below is in Dutch (which you can read ;) But for the rest of the non-Dutch speaking countries:, it says 'U.S specific adapter. Localized version available in car' ) :

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 09.25.25.png

Last edited:
I have a feeling, but do not hold me to it, that the tow hitch receiver is US specific. I have never seen anything like this in the EU at all and from what I can tell; the EU models get the towing hook (ball) as opposed to a hitch. See Tow hitch - Wikipedia as well for the difference per part of the world.
Never knew there was that much variation on this. I thought every car used the ball, just like everyone on the planet uses metres and kilogrammes.

If it's the receiver only, then... The X doesn't include the hitch(/hook?) itself?
It does if you’re referring to towing a trailer. The hitch is two parts: 1. mounted to the vehicle and 2. the piece you slide into it that accept the tongue.

The second part is what you see in the pic it is detachable from the X making it different from the traditional hitch. You slide the skinnier side (from the picture) into piece 1 then the tongue and ball slide right into it.

It doesn’t include the tongue and ball but I’ve never bought a car that does.

Last edited:
Why the fascination with tow hook? Do you plan on getting stranded? I own an X and have never once wanted or even considered the tow hook. That left box is the hitch receiver for towing.
In Dutch, this thing is a 'trekhaak', which literally translates to 'pulling hook', hence me talking about 'towing hook'. I think I meant tow hitch, but I'm still getting used to the terminology.

Edit: I just spent a few minutes explaining what I meant to someone IRL, and she concluded I was talking about "that stupid ball thing at the back of the car that I tripped over".

It does if you’re referring to towing a trailer. The hitch is two parts: 1. mounted to the vehicle and 2. the piece you slide into it that accept the tongue.

The second part is what you see in the pic it is detachable from the X making it different from the traditional hitch. You slide the skinnier side (from the picture) into piece 1 then the tongue and ball slide right into it.

It doesn’t include the tongue and ball but I’ve never bought a car that does.
That is, as explained, specific to the U.S, and the rest of the world does it slightly different (as so many things in life) Luckily, the Model X instruction vid specifically says the hitch is U.S specific and that it varies per country so that is good to know. I assume that, for the Dutch market at least, we are getting the 'ball' hitch as is custom with all cars here.

That just leaves us with how the yoke works when doing roundabouts. In short; when doing a roundabout 3/4, we indicate our turn signal to the left. Note that this is not something that is dictated by law, but makes using a roundabout so much easier and safer that most people do it. At the moment you are about to leave the roundabout, you do have to indicate that with a turn signal right (this is mandatory by law, though most people still ignore it sadly).

Now, the new software for the yoke has made adjustments to the signal indicator behaviour (i.e it detects when you are done with the manoeuvre and then turns the turn signal off as opposed to leaving it on when not doing a full turn with the yoke) so I am kinda hoping that works with the described roundabout turning, but in the off chance it does not; I have no clue how you are going to be able to turn on your turn signal mid manoeuvre which is kind of problematic.

@Fulkth , if you do get the chance to test something like that out (not on a roundabout persé, but in a similar situation on a parking lot or whatever) that would be fantastic. That is the only worry I still have for a yoke steering wheel here in NL (and yes; we have roundabouts EVERYWHERE) so its not like we can shrug it off as 'meh' )

P.S still 0 indication as to an expected delivery date on the cars here. Booh!

Last edited: