Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly the same concern here, I really want to avoid the luxury tax, that's why I agreed to the 6 seater change. I ordered the plaid instead hoping to get a faster delivery. Wasn't expecting it to be a situation where it seems more and more unlikely that I'll get a VIN this year even after being promised for picking the more expensive model. I would've gone for the LR instead if I knew it would come sooner.
Well, the good news is that there seems to be a flush of new VINs showing up. Given tomorrow is December 1st, I'll keep holding my breath and hopefully won't be deflated in the next week. The way I looked at the 6 seat change was that it was a wash if we got it before January 1st - either pay it for a higher value car or give it to the taxman (I'd rather it be in the car frankly). I hope that they can deliver as they suggested.

Reactions: Tezhed9802
I’m a newbie here…I have a 2018 Model X 75D and my lease expired in July. I’m on a lease extension until January. I placed my order for a Long Range Model X over a year ago in October 2020:
  • Model X Long Range Plus
  • Pearl White
  • 22" Onyx Black Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior with Dark Ash Wood Décor
  • Five Seat Interior
I’m hoping that I get a call asking me to switch to a 6 seater though.

Nonetheless, I’m hoping to get assigned a VIN asap!

I’m a newbie here…I have a 2018 Model X 75D and my lease expired in July. I’m on a lease extension until January. I placed my order for a Long Range Model X over a year ago in October 2020:
  • Pearl White
  • 22" Onyx Black Wheels
  • Five Seat Interior

My lease ended March 15th 2021 and I am in on month to month waiting for my new X

Well, the good news is that there seems to be a flush of new VINs showing up. Given tomorrow is December 1st, I'll keep holding my breath and hopefully won't be deflated in the next week. The way I looked at the 6 seat change was that it was a wash if we got it before January 1st - either pay it for a higher value car or give it to the taxman (I'd rather it be in the car frankly). I hope that they can deliver as they suggested.
Yeah I was told by the guy who called me for the change it would be December, but he seemed confident it would be delivered before the end of the year. It would be more reassuring once anyone from Canada gets one. Technically we shouldn't have to pay the luxury tax even if it's delivered after Jan 1st, because apparently as long as you have an order placed prior to the luxury tax announcement in April you're exempt if you get it in 2022. At the same time our orders now say October on the actual order form because we changed to that configuration (so I have no idea if that means we literally screwed ourselves over with this tax). I originally ordered in December and accepted the refresh in January then cancelled the order and reordered in March. I just want to see some Canadian VINs showing up and at least a plaid show up somewhere. Been getting ancy. I'm tempted to switch to a plaid S if I don't get delivery before the end of the year, I already have a pre-refresh 2021 Model S.. I just prefer the X (had a raven performance X before that).

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I don’t have a link, but it’s the primary reason they haven’t unlocked the 200mph top speed of the S (I’m aware the X is only advertised to reach 163mph, unlike S). If weight has anything to do with stopping power, I could see this being a potential issue.
They could limit my Plaid X to 100mph for all I care. I just want the stupid thing.

Yeah I was told by the guy who called me for the change it would be December, but he seemed confident it would be delivered before the end of the year. It would be more reassuring once anyone from Canada gets one. Technically we shouldn't have to pay the luxury tax even if it's delivered after Jan 1st, because apparently as long as you have an order placed prior to the luxury tax announcement in April you're exempt if you get it in 2022. At the same time our orders now say October on the actual order form because we changed to that configuration (so I have no idea if that means we literally screwed ourselves over with this tax). I originally ordered in December and accepted the refresh in January then cancelled the order and reordered in March. I just want to see some Canadian VINs showing up and at least a plaid show up somewhere. Been getting ancy. I'm tempted to switch to a plaid S if I don't get delivery before the end of the year, I already have a pre-refresh 2021 Model S.. I just prefer the X (had a raven performance X before that).
The luxury tax isn't yet law. I'm hoping the law doesn't get passed for Jan 1.

Hello All

Long time lurker. First time posting. My 2018 Model X lease ended on March 15th, 2021. My lazy ass placed an order for a new Model X only by March 1st, 2021. At that time they allowed extending my lease from month to month till my new car comes in. I get a call on October 28th to switch from 7 to 6 and we agree that day.

My configuration is White Long Range, 20-inch wheels, black interior, and FSD. I think my chance of getting a VIN before year-end is non-existent as they are already collecting lease income from me and why sell to a guy who is already giving you money.

Hoping I am wrong.
They would rather reclaim that car sell it as ore owned inventory for near full price (supply and demand) and sell you yours at full price. They don't win on this.

As another Plaid reservation holder, fingers crossed that it's not because of drivetrain shudder with that massive power. Haven't seen any mention of this issue from the few Refresh LR owners yet, so hopefully it is a non issue now.
Doubtful, just wait a few months. It usually shows up around 10-15k miles. Tesla had many opportunities to fix this but it remains, I have a 2020 X with shudder. It’s a fundamental design flaw I believe, and will take a full redesign not a refresh. My advise - keep it in Low suspension. If you launch or accelerate aggressively in Standard it will likely develop a shudder.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
  • Pearl White
  • 22" Onyx Black Wheels
  • Five Seat Interior

did you ever update your order to the refresh? if not you will have to do it now and accept the 15k price increase.

Long time lurker not only of this forum, but the Model S waiting room when that was almost as fun as this.

I’m in the same boat as many of you: wall charger bought and installed in February, sold my car, have checked this forum (or the Model S one before this) every hour for the last 10 months. Get made fun of by my family for talking to my “Tesla friends”. You know the drill.

Anyway, hoping for my VIN soon! Keep ‘em coming!

I haven’t seen any deliveries to Colorado. Anyone else?

Original order 1/25/21
LR MSM White interior, 20” 6 seater.