Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife suggested they stop something similar by locking the top speed and only making it available once a brake kit Is available (to which you’d have to pay an additional $20K.

I’m indifferent about that, as I’d want the top speed, but would be fine with just the 0-60.
The distance it takes to stop a car is generally limited by a ratio of the weight of the car vs the amount of adhesion from the cars tires. When you slam the brakes on very hard, your car will go into ABS mode. The cars computer will then regulate the braking to the maximum possible based on slippage of the tire against the road. If you want better braking you need to buy a stickier and wider tire which will give you more adhesion to the road. Stickier Tires would wear out more quickly and diminish your range, but that’s the trade off. Bigger brakes like on a GT Porsche or something are only really going to help in a track like situation where the brakes are used at a maximum level over and over again and a smaller braking system could overheat and eventually fail. These are not the conditions that any of us would be using a Model X for. The main issue a fast moving X would have in stopping quickly is it’s weight and tires. You can’t change the weight

Reactions: jbrowdy
If you are one of the few dummies (like me) who ordered a Plaid, do you want to post your order date here? Maybe there is a confounding variable, like order date, that could explain zero Plaid VIN’s, as opposed to a more likely explanation, such as the car is vaporware.

I personally ordered mine pre-refresh, canceled it (by accident, see above) and re-ordered in May.
I ordered mine on March 30th. Really disappointed. I got called on the very first day they started calling for people to switch to the 6 seater back in October to get delivery this year. Got told I’d get it for sure, but not till December sometime. Wish I knew there would be a hold up with the plaid or I would’ve stuck with my original LR order from back in January. I got impatient too and cancelled it back then then reordered all over in March.

Reactions: jbrowdy
The distance it takes to stop a car is generally limited by a ratio of the weight of the car vs the amount of adhesion from the cars tires. When you slam the brakes on very hard, your car will go into ABS mode. The cars computer will then regulate the braking to the maximum possible based on slippage of the tire against the road. If you want better braking you need to buy a stickier and wider tire which will give you more adhesion to the road. Stickier Tires would wear out more quickly and diminish your range, but that’s the trade off. Bigger brakes like on a GT Porsche or something are only really going to help in a track like situation where the brakes are used at a maximum level over and over again and a smaller braking system could overheat and eventually fail. These are not the conditions that any of us would be using a Model X for. The main issue a fast moving X would have in stopping quickly is it’s weight and tires. You can’t change the weight
You’d think all the engineers would’ve gotten together and figured this stuff out before they released this car as a product.

Meant to ask this a few pages earlier but with the VINs raining, pages are flying… Does the MX not lower automatically when you hit a certain speed threshold? I always thought this was standard behavior- then how does the infamous shudder even develop?
How indeed!

Yes if you don't have it set to always low it'll go down to Low at speed I think it's circa 55mph

You’d think all the engineers would’ve gotten together and figured this stuff out before they released this car as a product.
Oh I’m sure they have. It just takes longer to stop a heavier car. If you’re driving a Chevy Suburban, you have to know it will take longer to stop than a Mini for instance. If you are driving it fast it will take that much longer. Same goes for a Model X. This stuff is just physics and risk. Be safe out there 😃