Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding of the previous EV tax credits, and likely the BBB plan, leases did not qualify for the credit at all - so I would guess that is the same here.
Is that correct, I thought that the lessor 100% had the right to collect the credits and that most lessors were passing the credit into the lease, but I could be mistaken. Would love to learn the answer to this question if anyone knows. TY

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
This question is off topic but since there are so many smart folks on this thread I thought it would be a great place to ask. As you most of you know, the Build Back Better plan imposes income caps on the availability of EV tax credits. So what happens in the case of a lease? Isn't this a huge loophole that could potentially benefit us all? Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but if the customer leases the car, the lessor is the purchaser of the car and gets the tax credit and can pass the entire tax credit into the lease. The lessee can then just buy out the lease, effectively capturing the full value of the credit. The net of all of this is that if they remove the manufacturer unit cap that applies under current law, we would all be able to capture the credits on Tesla's less than 80k through this technique. So we wouldn't be able to get it for the X, but for a Y we would regardless of income level. Anyway, just the tax lawyer in me ruminating....

It seems the tax credit does not apply to leases, at least according to EV tax credits: Senate aims to vote before Christmas on $12,500 incentive:

Can I lease an EV and claim the tax credit?​

There is no tax credit if you decide to lease a new electric vehicle. Instead, the tax credit actually goes back to the automaker or lender financing the leased vehicle. To earn the tax credit benefit yourself, you need to purchase an EV -- not lease one.

Reactions: lauraut and Niranga
I know a bunch of you are getting EDDs bumped to February, so don't hate me! I just spoke with a Tesla customer service rep (not an SA) about my order since I received my VIN last Monday. He told me the car is in transit and should arrive at my local SC on the 10th! That was the same date a different CS rep told me last week as well... Hopefully they're not full of *sugar* and I will be able to take delivery sometime next week!! Hang in there guys, I'm a 12/5/20 order, so it's officially been over a year since I ordered.

I think it’s totally possible but how is the plaid different from the LR when it comes to braking needs. The only thing I can think of is top speed. So why not just limit the X Plaid to the same top speed as the

I know a bunch of you are getting EDDs bumped to February, so don't hate me! I just spoke with a Tesla customer service rep (not an SA) about my order since I received my VIN last Monday. He told me the car is in transit and should arrive at my local SC on the 10th! That was the same date a different CS rep told me last week as well... Hopefully they're not full of *sugar* and I will be able to take delivery sometime next week!! Hang in there guys, I'm a 12/5/20 order, so it's officially been over a year since I ordered.

Congrats. Sounds like you are good to go.

Congratulations!

Seems to be the trend. One year wait! February 21 order now EDD February 22.

Reactions: Tezhed9802
I'd rather they move to a later date "IF" it actually means something than keep a fake earlier date and keep moving it.... having said that, who knows if the Feb is real either...
We know that February is not real. They have moved about six months worth of Model X orders to February. Of course they can’t deliver six months worth of orders during a slow production ramp in one month. Even trying to think positively this is just not possible. This is just a “we really have no idea when we will be delivering the cars, but we know it’s going to at least be a couple months from now for the earliest ones, so we are kicking the can down the road to stall for time”. Anyone who ordered second or third quarter this year and thinks they will get their car in February is dreaming. I don’t even think first quarter orders will be complete by then. I have a pre-refresh order and will be lucky if I get it by February. Sorry, but it’s time to cancel or adjust expectations

Yep, I was too excited with all the Model X in the logistic lots! My bad. Checking it again.
99K is the potential savings price! That's why it is 99k
The "potential savings" is quite disingenuous. For starters, these theoretical "savings" do not factor in the cost of installing a home charging station. Yes, you "could" plug it into your standard outlet, but they know their customers are best served by having a faster charging option. Germany stopped Tesla from this misleading practice. Surprised more countries haven't.

The whole savings idea carried more weight when they included free supercharging.