Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, rusty rotors?🤨
lol what do you think happens to cast iron when it gets wet? I could put brand new rotors on any car, and if I've done it properly (cleaning off the friction surface to remove the anti-corrosion oil most manufacturers apply at shipping) they will rust the next time I drive through a puddle in a parking lot. Which disappears the next time you apply the brakes. It also has a helpful anti-vibration property in that it helps clean the rotor surface - common tactic to remove deposits after a track day is to get the rotors wet, let them sit overnight, and then go do a quick mini-bed procedure.

But FUD I guess

So, late this afternoon I decided to take a stroll to my local dealership and look for my car… And I found it!

During my loitering I ran into and talked with two really friendly employees at the site. Some interesting details I thought all of us waiters would appreciate:
  • My car was one of eightXs to arrive today. The employees said this was by far the biggest single day shipment of the new refreshed X. Prior to that, there were only a “trickle” of cars, “less than 5” at that particular dealership since the model was released.
    • While walking around, I saw white, red, blue, silver, and black. They all look absolutely stunning. I gotta say i love the cream/white interiors… but kids.
    • One employee mentioned this is Tesla’s ramp up season / part of the quarter. “Things are about to get spicy”, with “delivery trucks usually waiting to unload into the dealership” in the coming week or two. So while I am sure this is mostly for the 3/Y, and not to get everyone’s hopes up, but it does seem like they are on the precipice of a step change in delivery cadence. 🤞🤞🤞
  • They were a bit obsessed with ensuring a quality delivery of the X. “We had problems in the past, we’ve listened to our customers, so we really spend extra time on the inspections from factory to dealership.” He said they had actually already “failed“ several Xs already requiring repairs before being handed over to the buyer. Fortunately, mine was only missing some frunk liner, which sounds like is easy to get from Fremont.
    • Looking at the cars they had tape all over the vehicle and writing + labels on the windshield. There were clear indicators of passed inspections at the factory (green stickers), and several cars had yellow stickers with identified problems hand-written. Mine had one indicating the liner was missing, and there was one other indicating a failed Falcon door.
  • My car was diiiirty. Clearly mine was one of those sitting in the dirt out by the track! The employee said the only thing sitting between me and delivery was cleaning and buffing the paint a bit.
  • #22covergate: I pointed out my car was missing the covers on the 22” wheels. He said that they are probably in the car and still need to be attached prior to delivery. He mentioned some specific other Tesla vehicle wheels are the same deal: they ship to the dealership requiring some final assembly there. For those that have shipped without the covers, they were probably forgotten…
  • The Fremont factory is a 24/7 operation with shifts around the clock. Not sure if others knew that or not, but I hadn’t quite realized that until he said it.
  • The two employees were really nice. Instead of telling me to get off the property, they were friendly and actively engaged. It was actually their suggestion to look for my specific car in the lot, and he offered to help! I mentioned how well the process seems to be going once I got a VIN (last night), but how poor the communication/expectation setting was up until that point His response was going back to their focus on quality, specifically citing all of the additional inspections. Reading between the lines, I think their added testing found more problems, resulting in delays to re-test and fix all vehicles etc. Hopefully it has the desired result and was not all for none with customers finding issues anyway…
Here are some pictures I managed to snap, trying not to be too much of a paparazzi :) Happy to share the experience!
This was a great report and I’m honestly shocked to see that multiple Model X had arrived along with yours. Nice to see what the stickers we can barely see on the fly overs look like up close. Your car was definitely one of the ones out on the dirt by the track waiting for something. Hope they actually clean it up like they promised. Loved the pictures and the first report of more than one X arriving at once. I have also found the actual Tesla employees here in Austin to be friendly and diligent if you somehow sneak behind the curtain. It almost like they are anxious to actually speak to customers despite Tesla corporate’s best effort to hide behind the robotic app. Can’t wait for your delivery photos.

I'm really happy with you guys receiving yours Model X, they are starting to ramp up production :cool:

Until last friday i was not in a hurry to get mine, but yesterday i got some amazing news, and i will need to get the car in the beginning of august, my wife is pregnant with our second child, my Leaf will become a little short, i hope Tesla can keep the promise of starting deliveries in Europe on the second semester hopefully in the beguining.

Now i'm not only expecting my Model X 😅

Congratulations! I hope will two bundles of joy come next August! I already think my VW eGolf is small with one child. Haha

Bad typos: I hope you will be receiving TWO bundles of joy come next August. Congrats again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gameiro101
Out of curiosity, why not Fremont? I changed my (eventual, someday) delivery location to Fremont even though I'm sorta between Dublin and Vallejo, on the assumption that would eliminate having to load and unload the vehicle from a car carrier. (Also I picked my S up from Fremont, and yeah I know the delivery experience for an X in 2022 will be very different from an S in 2015.)

Congrats in any case!

Bruce.
No idea why is that. I never had a chance to say where to take delivery nor was asked about it and I didn't see anything in Tesla app that would let me pick delivery place.

Last edited:
As much as I hope there is something there I fear its just representing the passenger side vent position View attachment 743135View attachment 743136
What on earth do those 3 icons in section 3 mean?

Identical to what's been in my March 2018 Model X, I've never been able to figure them out; If I'm cold, I just select all 3 of them. IMHO the owner's manual leaves a bit to be desired.

Out of curiosity, why not Fremont? I changed my (eventual, someday) delivery location to Fremont even though I'm sorta between Dublin and Vallejo, on the assumption that would eliminate having to load and unload the vehicle from a car carrier. (Also I picked my S up from Fremont, and yeah I know the delivery experience for an X in 2022 will be very different from an S in 2015.)

Congrats in any case!

Bruce.
So you are in Walnut Creek area then. This is roughly where I am too.

Reactions: bmah
It's just perspective... Look at the Cybertuck next to the MX for scale. It's possible that the bed could be 6ft+
View attachment 743158
By the way... Before anyone else can say it... That's my Cybertuck next to my MX. I'm just letting Tesla borrow them for a bit.
"How long?" You ask
"2 weeks"
Does anyone know how much longer the Cybertruck is supposed to be than the Model X? Considering lengthening my garage to accommodate my Cybertruck eventually.

Hey guys quick update after taking delivery: Paint was not great, had some metal showing on one section and a lot of small scratches. Also car was not cleaned, my sub trunk had alot of shaving of something (ppf?) and one key fob straight up didnt work at all. Alignment of the right FWD was super off, interior passenger water barrier was not installed correctly and lastly the hood was badly aligned. Lastly, there was a sketchy looking weld in the right FWD door jamb area.

TLDR: Bring a squad of friends and look at EVERYTHING. I have my service appointment scheduled already and be sure you do it for paint related issues before 100 miles or 24 hours otherwise telsa may fight you on it. Car is super nice and will take some getting used to but the quality issues are souring me in the back of my head.
Most of these I'd never ever see if I owned the car for 5 years. Maybe the detailer but not me lol.

Does anyone know how much longer the Cybertruck is supposed to be than the Model X? Considering lengthening my garage to accommodate my Cybertruck eventually.
I'm building a new house and got a chance to do 3 cars garage, one bay for 2 car and the other for the Cybertruck. 12' ceiling, 11' wide and 23' long.
Wikipedia has this for Cybertruck
Wheelbase149.9 in (3,807 mm)[8]
Length231.7 in (5,885 mm)[9]
Width79.8 in (2,027 mm)[10]
Height75 in (1,905 mm)

Model X is about 198″ L x 79″ W x 66″ H

So, late this afternoon I decided to take a stroll to my local dealership and look for my car… And I found it!

During my loitering I ran into and talked with two really friendly employees at the site. Some interesting details I thought all of us waiters would appreciate:
  • My car was one of eightXs to arrive today. The employees said this was by far the biggest single day shipment of the new refreshed X. Prior to that, there were only a “trickle” of cars, “less than 5” at that particular dealership since the model was released.
    • While walking around, I saw white, red, blue, silver, and black. They all look absolutely stunning. I gotta say i love the cream/white interiors… but kids.
    • One employee mentioned this is Tesla’s ramp up season / part of the quarter. “Things are about to get spicy”, with “delivery trucks usually waiting to unload into the dealership” in the coming week or two. So while I am sure this is mostly for the 3/Y, and not to get everyone’s hopes up, but it does seem like they are on the precipice of a step change in delivery cadence. 🤞🤞🤞
  • They were a bit obsessed with ensuring a quality delivery of the X. “We had problems in the past, we’ve listened to our customers, so we really spend extra time on the inspections from factory to dealership.” He said they had actually already “failed“ several Xs already requiring repairs before being handed over to the buyer. Fortunately, mine was only missing some frunk liner, which sounds like is easy to get from Fremont.
    • Looking at the cars they had tape all over the vehicle and writing + labels on the windshield. There were clear indicators of passed inspections at the factory (green stickers), and several cars had yellow stickers with identified problems hand-written. Mine had one indicating the liner was missing, and there was one other indicating a failed Falcon door.
  • My car was diiiirty. Clearly mine was one of those sitting in the dirt out by the track! The employee said the only thing sitting between me and delivery was cleaning and buffing the paint a bit.
  • #22covergate: I pointed out my car was missing the covers on the 22” wheels. He said that they are probably in the car and still need to be attached prior to delivery. He mentioned some specific other Tesla vehicle wheels are the same deal: they ship to the dealership requiring some final assembly there. For those that have shipped without the covers, they were probably forgotten…
  • The Fremont factory is a 24/7 operation with shifts around the clock. Not sure if others knew that or not, but I hadn’t quite realized that until he said it.
  • The two employees were really nice. Instead of telling me to get off the property, they were friendly and actively engaged. It was actually their suggestion to look for my specific car in the lot, and he offered to help! I mentioned how well the process seems to be going once I got a VIN (last night), but how poor the communication/expectation setting was up until that point His response was going back to their focus on quality, specifically citing all of the additional inspections. Reading between the lines, I think their added testing found more problems, resulting in delays to re-test and fix all vehicles etc. Hopefully it has the desired result and was not all for none with customers finding issues anyway…
Here are some pictures I managed to snap, trying not to be too much of a paparazzi :) Happy to share the experience!
This is exactly what I was hoping that much of the delays were about. Great pics. Thanks for this info!

I'm really happy with you guys receiving yours Model X, they are starting to ramp up production :cool:

Until last friday i was not in a hurry to get mine, but yesterday i got some amazing news, and i will need to get the car in the beginning of august, my wife is pregnant with our second child, my Leaf will become a little short, i hope Tesla can keep the promise of starting deliveries in Europe on the second semester hopefully in the beguining.

Now i'm not only expecting my Model X 😅
CONGRATS! ... WISHING YOU BOTH THE BEST!

Do you happen to know if you are expecting an X or a Y? 😁 I think the stork is a bit more reliable than Tesla (when stork says within 2 weeks... you can count on it for sure!!) 😁😁😁

Hi, lurker turned poster here! 🙋🏻‍♀️Returning to you (probably for the last time) with updates since my last post - almost 100 pages ago 🤯. As you know, my new MX was sent back almost Immediately upon receipt due to FWD issues.

After sending my car back, I promptly called for an update. Status was “tech is looking at it. No ETA”. I continue to call sometimes daily, sometimes multiple times a day until I got an updated status of “your FWD was misaligned and we also found paint damage because of it. We’re fixing both. ETA 3 days from now”. Three days turned into 5 more days.

Five more days came, I called again. However, I was sent straight to hold music. This has never happened before so I’m pretty sure they blocked me. But of course it did not deter me from keep redialing even though it got me to no one. I was determined to wait out the hold music. Finally, someone picked up. She said “the SC is aware that you want your car. They are working on it.” I asked if there’s an updated ETA as the last date I received expired. She said she’ll follow up and call me back. No call back.

At this point I’m feeling like a creepy stalker who can’t take a hint. Gosh - it’s like dating again - which clearly I suck. I told my husband and he laughed. At least someone finds humor in this situation- or perhaps he sees a version of himself years ago while trying pursue me 🤷🏻‍♀️😂🤣

The next day (11th day), while trying to think of how to sweet talk my rep into more information, I got a phone call. 🙌 hallelujah 🙌 I cried the same tears of joy as when I became a VINer 😭 She said my car can be picked up as early as tomorrow. Of course, I took the first appointment available.

Alas…the glorious “tomorrow” has arrived (12th day)! But I couldn’t leave the house without first sharing with you all, my day ones (actually my page 200s rather).

If we have only one lesson to learn, it is Tesla is 💯% committed to their communications model. “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” 😉

Last edited:
Hi, lurker turned poster here! 🙋🏻‍♀️Returning to you (probably for the last time) with updates since my last post - almost 100 pages ago 🤯. As you know, my new MX was sent back almost Immediately upon receipt due to FWD issues.

After sending my car back, I promptly called for an update. Status was “tech is looking at it. No ETA”. I continue to call sometimes daily, sometimes multiple times a day until I got an updated status of “your FWD was misaligned and we also found paint damage because of it. We’re fixing both. ETA 3 days from now”. Three days turned into 5 more days.

Five more days came, I called again. However, I was sent straight to hold music. This has never happened before so I’m pretty sure they blocked me. But of course it did not deter me from keep redialing even though it got me to no one. I was determined to wait out the hold music. Finally, someone picked up. She said “the SC is aware that you want your car. They are working on it.” I asked if there’s an updated ETA as the last date I received expired. She said she’ll follow up and call me back. No call back.

At this point I’m feeling like a creepy stalker who can’t take a hint. Gosh - it’s like dating again - which clearly I suck. I told my husband and he laughed. At least someone finds humor in this situation- or perhaps he sees a version of himself years ago while trying pursue me 🤷🏻‍♀️😂🤣

The next day (11th day), while trying to think of how to sweet talk my rep into more information, I got a phone call. 🙌 hallelujah 🙌 I cried the same tears of joy as when I became a VINer 😭 She said my car can be picked up as early as tomorrow. Of course, I took the first appointment available.

Alas…the glorious “tomorrow” has arrived (12th day)! But I couldn’t leave the house without first sharing with you all, my day ones (actually my page 200s rather).

If we have only one lesson to learn, it is Tesla is 💯% committed to their communications model. “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” 😉

Your story is giving me PTSD of my last interaction. If it weren’t for the unrivaled technology, I would have cancelled, on principle, for bad customer service, already.

We laugh, amongst friends / amongst each other, but this is truly unacceptable. No one would accept this from legacy auto.

9AEF0746-B4DC-462F-B6C1-3B10329D6888.png

Last edited:
I have an early April 21 7 seat order. Any possible scenario that Tesla will deliver 7 seaters in Jan considering that they converted many 5 seaters and 7 seaters to 6 seaters. Things are getting really difficult with a single car ( I know it is my fault and not Tesla’s for believing their words).

I have an early April 21 7 seat order. Any possible scenario that Tesla will deliver 7 seaters in Jan considering that they converted many 5 seaters and 7 seaters to 6 seaters. Things are getting really difficult with a single car ( I know it is my fault and not Tesla’s for believing their words).
My guess is expect something end of Q1 or sometime Q2. Buuuuuuut, asking a rock is just as good as my guess.