Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really wondering about how Model X testing differs from Model 3 testing.

Sure it is a new "refresh" line and "new" but I find it strange that each X needs so much additional testing. Looking at all the flyover videos we have seen the Model Xs always seem to be on the test track (parked) but also physically doing laps around the track. By the time they are delivered I am seeing on the forums that they average 40-50 miles on them.

My question, why is it that the Model 3s move straight off the production line and to the logistics lot where every X is extensively driven around the test track?

It is a nicer ride so Tesla employees like driving it around 👌👍

I’m beginning to wonder if the common denominator for all VINners so far, is that it is NOT their first Tesla?

I ordered in Dec 2020, Bay Area, and I haven’t had a damn thing change in my account, but, it’s my first Tesla purchase. I wish we had that flag in our dataset.
This is my 5th tesla and still no vin for my 1/27 order. I think there is absolutely no pattern other than 6 seater at this point.

I’m beginning to wonder if the common denominator for all VINners so far, is that it is NOT their first Tesla?

I ordered in Dec 2020, Bay Area, and I haven’t had a damn thing change in my account, but, it’s my first Tesla purchase. I wish we had that flag in our dataset.
This is my 5th Tesla and nothing. We all are trying to find some logic and reasoning to their distribution strategy. No one has been successful yet. Its Born from frustration but I’ve stopped trying to figure it out.

Lot of testing at the track with MX. Hope these are final version of Plaid models!
Elon please keep my Red at 7:47 under 50 miles 😎 I wish video can zoom to confirm these are Plaids.
And there was around 45 X's in the transport loading area. Which is good news as before there was only a few out there at a time.

Last edited:
Does it looks like a Plaid delivery in CA? License plate looks like Cali.

Video at 27:30.

Attachments

• B7F14BAE-CAA5-4F2F-9BF0-A640802E8A67.png
    B7F14BAE-CAA5-4F2F-9BF0-A640802E8A67.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: jbrowdy
Here are my thoughts on the car from the first full day

Starting with the good:
1. The car drives amazing and the tech is out of this world.

2. Autopilot really has improved since the last time I drove a Tesla.

3. Acceleration feels like a P90DL but the handling and comfort is sooooo much better than previous Model X's

There are so many good things to say but I can't put them all here.

The Bad:
4. LOT of bugs, the passenger side falcon wing door started glitching today, it won't go down because it thinks there is an optical so we have to manual override that to make it close. we are hoping a software update will fix that.

5. The software is glitchy at times, it will sometimes play ice-cream music when im looking at sentry mode from my phone. In addition the voice commands sometimes will not respond at all.

There are further things I will elaborate later.

I also posted this on the Refreshed Model X issues thread.
Thanks so much for this. I think it’ll be best to go in prepared for the bad as well as the good when/if I finally take delivery.

Realistic expectations and all that …

The newest Fremont drone flyover is out.
Every time I see one that matches my config in a video I ask myself "Is that one mine?". Then I see multiple ones and wonder "Which one?". Then I check my account and wonder "Why the heck not?! Where's mine?!". Then I realize that it's almost a pointless endeavor - followed by refreshing the account page hourly.

I was supposed to have my car by now, but, I don’t. Here are some lessons learned this week:
  • You can’t really trust a verbal “it will be ready on date X”. You need to have the delivery date locked in (and shown on web/app) to ensure your car is on their radar for delivery
  • My vehicle required 3rd party body shop work due to damages pre-arrival at SC. Once this happens, you are a bit at the whim of the body shop, and the car seems to fall out-of-queue until it is returned from the shop.
  • There is basically no way to call into your local SC. It seems all calls get routed to Fremont.
  • Fremont call center doesn’t have SC-level info. They could see your car made it there and some notes, but nothing more than that (not that they share anyway).
  • So really you can enter (another) information black hole at this phase of delivery.
  • I found the only way to get real information was to physically walk into the SC and ask some reps there for the low down if your order seems to be stuck.
  • Some reps are more junior and basically share the information the Fremont team has access to. So they can give you mis-information…
  • After the date slipped, I had to identify and press a more senior guy until I finally got all the details and ultimately a commitment to a delivery date after he worked up a plan with the service manager.
  • They were VERY apologetic and genuinely seemed like they felt they let me down, though. He even offered to go to the body shop himself to pick the car up and prep it, but there were enough notes on the order to indicate that the bumper was removed and the body shop closed on a Saturday so…
The whole thing was a bit of a bummer, and I’m not sure how representative it is of other delivery experiences, but just figured I’d share the insights in the event they can help someone else.

On the upside, pickup is scheduled for Monday then i immediately head out for a holiday road trip.

Pictures and a report of the long drive to follow!

Man, the new Hummer EV, and the Rivian are looking really nice at this point.
physical buttons, etc.....

That is a positive? You must not have owned a Tesla yet. If so, I'm not sure how you could see physical buttons as a good thing. I litterally hate trying to drive a car that still has all those 1994 buttons all over every surface. Just look at the new wagoner steering wheel - looks like it's covered in 35 buttons. That's the last thing I want to try to figure out.