Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is transferring a reservation cheating/unethical anyway? It is not like it makes any difference for the people behind them in line... The reason Tesla doesn't allow it is because they don't want scalpers selling reservation slots. Even then that still isn't really unethical. Just an a**hole move.

How is transferring a reservation cheating/unethical anyway? It is not like it makes any difference for the people behind them in line... The reason Tesla doesn't allow it is because they don't want scalpers selling reservation slots. Even then that still isn't really unethical. Just an a**hole move.
Its in your reservation agreement with Tesla. Lots of other reasons besides scalpers.

• Funny
Reactions: POTATONEFF
Yeah I think transferring to a friend or family member would be fine. Heck, even to @flippingrich or @jbrowdy 😂. I think this is the kind of stuff Tesla is trying to stop. The guy has 3 Plaid reservations and is selling all three. Last one went for $4k. I’m not saying this is ok or not but I think this is what Tesla wouldn’t like.

Tesla has a few configurations of vehicles, unlike other manufactures that build to the order, Tesla matches vehicles to builds off the production line.

If a reservation falls through someone else gets their vehicle earlier.

With that said, plenty of arguments of what is right or wrong.

In short, if you are waiting you will find it wrong. If you are purchasing/taking over someone else’s reservation you’ll find it completely fine.

The gentleman selling the Plaid Reservations probably won’t really effect anyone else’s order here. If history repeats itself in a few months Model X Plaid’s will be available almost right away. Right now if you know the right service advisor you will get a Model S Plaid immediately.

1st world problems.

Tesla has a few configurations of vehicles, unlike other manufactures that build to the order, Tesla matches vehicles to builds off the production line.

If a reservation falls through someone else gets their vehicle earlier.

With that said, plenty of arguments of what is right or wrong.

In short, if you are waiting you will find it wrong. If you are purchasing/taking over someone else’s reservation you’ll find it completely fine.

The gentleman selling the Plaid Reservations probably won’t really effect anyone else’s order here. If history repeats itself in a few months Model X Plaid’s will be available almost right away. Right now if you know the right service advisor you will get a Model S Plaid immediately.

1st world problems.
Thank you

Reactions: Alex310
I have to admit: when I read this I spent a minute poking around on my phone looking for an “ignore” option that I must have missed. 😄🙄

Then I thought of the built-in one 🤣 derpy derp duh

lol and if I really did miss a forum function even funnier
There is a forum feature for this. Tap someone’s username on a post, tap “more options” and you’ll see the ignore option (this is how it looks on mobile anyway).

Well I am waiting and still don't find it wrong. Sure if they leave the line you get to move up, and that is nice, but there is nothing stopping them from buying the car and immediately turning around and selling it for a marked up price to someone who doesn't want to wait. Not really any different for the people in line. This is also effectively what is happening with the used car market prices going up, or traditional car dealers marking up above MSRP right now.

Everyone has their place in line and you don't get a say in what people ahead of you do with their order. Yeah, it may be a breach of contract with Tesla but that is between those two entities.

Well I am waiting and still don't find it wrong. Sure if they leave the line you get to move up, and that is nice, but there is nothing stopping them from buying the car and immediately turning around and selling it for a marked up price to someone who doesn't want to wait. Not really any different for the people in line. This is also effectively what is happening with the used car market prices going up, or traditional car dealers marking up above MSRP right now.

Everyone has their place in line and you don't get a say in what people ahead of you do with their order. Yeah, it may be a breach of contract with Tesla but that is between those two entities.
Agreed, that guy seems to be doing it egregiously though if he’s selling three plaid reservations it seems he had zero intentions of actually buying three plaids. He must be creating multiple fake tesla accounts to place the reservations under so he can transfer them later.

Reactions: croman
Agreed, that guy seems to be doing it egregiously though if he’s selling three plaid reservations it seems he had zero intentions of actually buying three plaids. He must be creating multiple fake tesla accounts to place the reservations under so he can transfer them later.
Basically it’s scalping but 🤷🏼‍♂️